IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2017!

1. Overlord (NES)

Beat this for the NintendoAge effort, using the not-very-hard-to-find strat that turns this famously difficult game into a pussycat -- only to find someone else beat me to it by a minute or so. Oh, well. n/a

2. Karateka (Famicom)

Back in 1999, this was the first game I ever beat using an emulator and savestates. (In fact I think it was the first game I ever beat using an emulator, though I used a hardware savestate device briefly on the SNES in the mid-1990s.) It feels good to finally beat it legitimately, though I can't say I love the game: it's mostly too easy -- except the gate trap, which is total cheapshot bull -- and the battles do drag on. C-.

3. Target: Renegade (NES)

Not only beaten, but a 1LC/1CC. I've beaten this several times before, and my C- rating is unchanged: too easy, and having no real ending is lame.

• Like 3

1. Project S-11 (Game Boy Color)

Starting off the new year right with one of my all time favorite vertical scrolling spaceship shooters! It's a rather easy game as far as this genre goes, but I think that's part of what I like about it. Project S-11 is one of those games that I can 1 credit clear first thing in the morning before I've even had my morning coffee, so today that's exactly what I did. The rockin' chiptune soundtrack was great to wake up to! :D

EC42yFe.jpg

3ZUFHeq.jpg

• Like 2

Eh crap, I always forget this thread exists... time to hopefully remember to post for what, the 3rd year now?

1: Castlevania (NES)

Yeah, it's nothing special but whatever... it's fun anyways. For some reason it's become tradition for my first game of the new year to be Castlevania - seriously, I dropped out of a CS:GO competitive match with friends (they still won, good for them) and ate the 30-minute comp ban at 11:55 so I could run up to my room and play Castlevania when it hit midnight. Luckily over time I've gotten gradually better, usually I'll die a few times but I'm better than I used to be anyways.

2: I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

I actually got the decent ending for once! This is a pretty fun point 'n click which I've owned forever and always screwed up, but with the recent steam sales I was able to get a digital copy (physical one is in fairly bad condition) for like $1.50 or whatever so I ran though the game again. It's got a pretty cool plot to the game, it's based off a short story, and I like most of the stuff Harlan Ellison has wrote so yeah I enjoy this one every time I run it.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 1

Two more to add for today. :)

2. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 2600)

3. Tomb Raider: Mystery of the Scarlet Dragon (Atari 2600)

While the latter is a mostly graphical hack of the former, the change in character sprite size does make it play a little differently so I decided to list them separately. Up until today I had never spent much time playing the Atari 2600 version of Montezuma's Revenge but wow is this ever a great game! I played it on my Harmony Encore cart but I can definitely see why the original cart commands such a high price tag. It took me a couple hours of practice to beat all 3 levels in each game, and even after beating them I still wanted to keep playing. My wife is a big Tomb Raider fan so she was especially impressed with the Tomb Raider hack and spent even more time playing it than I did, and she now insists that we must get Albert to make us a physical copy for her Tomb Raider collection at some point. :lol:

• Like 1

4. Hatris (NES)
5. Art of Fighting (SNES)
6. Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin! (SNES)

All games I've beaten (and reviewed before), and all done for the NintendoAge efforts for their respective system. Someone beat me to the punch on Hatris, though.

7. Top Rank Tennis (Game Boy)

Ambitious but ultimately ungratifying, this Game Boy title uses all four action buttons to allow for greater variety of shot -- but trying to grab SELECT or START in the midst of a heated rally is unergonomic and confusing. It's the kind of game that doesn't give you the benefit of the doubt: the ball goes out or into the net on routine shots a little too often, and the ball trajectory feels scripted when hitting from specific court positions or in specific situations.

Good thing it's easy to fire aces from the deuce court, and none of the matches go longer than 3 sets. Oddly, the match against the final boss is only one set, and though he hits hard, he's easier than the third- and fourth-ranked opponents. C.

...oh, and this means I've finished all three tennis titles on the monochrome GB, making it the first system whose tennis library I've beaten completely. :) I did beat the Intellivision's only 1-player tennis game, Championship Tennis, but then IntelligentVision's Super Pro Tennis came out, and I haven't beaten that one yet.

• Like 2

I've got three more, all out of the same series.

3. Shiryou Sensen: War of the Dead

4. Shiryou Sensen: Browning no Fukkatsu

5. Shiryou Sensen 2

These three games are all part of the (of course) Shiryou Sensen (War of the Dead) series, a bunch of horror RPGs on the MSX2/PC88 computers where you play as a girl (Lila) who is a member of a paranormal investigation branch of the US Army (S-SWAT) and have to investigate said paranormal stuff. There were some issues - some of which were annoying, some which weren't really that bad - but overall I had a good bit of fun. I wrote a good bit about these, which you can find here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260625-what-have-you-actually-played-tracker-for-2017-season-10/?p=3667791and here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247463-what-have-you-actually-played-tracker-for-2016-season-9/?p=3656915

Edited by BurritoBeans

We had a blizzard in New England over the weekend, so I got a lot of gaming in. I beat a couple of games, too!

MERCS: On the Capcom Classics Collection for the PS2. This one is very easy thanks to the unlimited continues, but whatever. Fun run and gun game with great music.

Street Fighter II: The World Warrior: Again, on the Capcom Classics Collection for the PS2. Played through with Ken. Haven't played this one all the way through in years. I forgot how different some of the backgrounds were on this one compared to later releases. For exampe, the foreground trees on Sagat's stage, the breakable barrels, crates, etc.

Also, I forgot one for the 2016 thread, so I'm counting it for 2017!

Shovel Knight: On the PS3. I have to say, this has become one of my favorite games of all time. The gameplay is great, the music is better, and the presentation is awesome. I only have 63% completion through the first campaign, so I'll have to go back and do more. What a game!

• Like 2

4. Solar Striker (Game Boy)

What do you do after installing a backlight kit in your Game Boy? Why, you play your favorite game on it of course! For me that game is Solar Striker, and no matter how many times I play through and beat it I just never get tired of revisiting Gunpei Yokoi's timeless spaceship shooter classic on the Game Boy. :)

5. Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)

After playing through Solar Striker I popped in another one of my Game Boy favorites, Mortal Kombat II. Pixilated violence and brutality in 4 shades of green and black never looked as good as it does with backlit illumination. Now I'm playing with power! :D

• Like 1

6. Street Fighter II (Game Boy)

Following up Mortal Kombat II is my second favorite fighting game on the Game Boy, Street Fighter II! The gameplay is a little on the slow side and takes some getting used to, but man did they ever do a killer job on the sprites and music! I think the music in the Game Boy rendition of Street Fighter II is quite possibly my favorite of any version. :)

7. Monopoly (Game Boy Color)

Another one of my favorite handheld titles! I ended up playing and winning 3 different games of Monopoly so I could play against and beat all 8 of the computer opponents before I decided to call this one "beaten". I might be a little biased but the Game Boy Color port is by far my favorite video game adaptation of this classic board game. It looks nice, plays well with easy to navigate menus, and the option to play against up to 3 other players each game with 8 different computer opponents of varying skill and strategy levels to choose from gives it a ton of replay value. This is really the essence of video game comfort food for me.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 2

8. Super R.C. Pro-AM (Game Boy)

One of my absolute favorite Game Boy games as kid and still a favorite today, I think Super R.C. Pro-Am is really the premier racing game on the old gray brick. It's not too tough to beat with a little practice and the racing action is just really solid, graphically impressive, and well programmed fun. :)

• Like 1

Games that I completed for the NintendoAge "beat every NES game in a year" thread:

Battletoads - It takes me about an hour to play through the entire thing with no warps.

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden 2

Ninja Gaiden 3

Palamedes - Awesome, underappreciated puzzle game. I recommend it to everyone who likes puzzle games.

RoadBlasters - Playable arcade port, but tedious to complete.

Quantum Kabuki Fighter - I've recently no-deathed this one. Great Ninja Gaiden clone. Interesting (and often creepy) backgrounds, weird enemies, surprisingly fluid animation, cool music, and you fight with your hair! The platforming takes some getting used to, but it's a short and easy game once you know how to play it.

Rollerblade Racer - Terrible, but one of the most 80s games ever even though it came out in the 90s.

Astyanax - It's okay. Cool music and big sprites, but your guy is so slow, and expect to keep getting knocked back into pits.

Pinball - Good old Nintendo black box pinball. Still playable and fun despite lack of tilt feature. Surprisingly advanced for when it came out.

Breakthru - If you abuse continues, you can beat this in 20 minutes even if you've never played it before thanks to the generous checkpoints. This game probably should have had limited continues.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

I don't usually post pics in this thread since I don't want to clutter it up too much, but I am really happy about this one! :D

9. Operation C (Game Boy)

xeO0Nwr.jpg

6Q88xw6.jpg

GPALvHz.jpg

Operation C is one of my Top 5 all time favorite Game Boy games and a game that I've had a continual love affair with since I first got it some 20 odd years ago. Up until tonight I had only managed to beat it on 1 credit once before, but tonight I not only beat it on 1 credit but had enough lives leftover that when the game looped back to first level I was able to continue playing all the way up to the level 3 boss on the second time around. It's going to be a good long time before I top that high score, if ever. :D

• Like 1

10. The Castlevania Adventure (Game Boy)

Knocking down another one for NintendoAge's efforts to beat as many Game Boy games as possible in 2017, The Castlevania Adventure is done! I decided to play this one on my Game Boy Advance SP since I just got some new buttons for it in the mail from Kitsch-Bent today and I wanted to put them through their paces. I sure gave them one heck of breaking in too, since it took me a grand total of 6 hours and 8 minutes of repeated trial and error to finally beat The Castlevania Adventure. I'm really happy to have beaten such a tough game, but after more than 6 hours of it I don't think I'll be wanting to play The Castlevania Adventure again until next year. :lol:

Xh0Tnz6.jpg

• Like 1

8. Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 (SNES)

I've beaten this before, and said my piece then. It may be the worst game for which I nonetheless have a deep affection. D+.

9. RC Helicopter (PlayStation)

Silly but mildly entertaining little trifle from the Simple 1500 series. D+.

10. Pocahontas (Game Boy)

Looks great but plays like a dog. I was amused to see that the executive producer was Donn Nauert, one of the featured players on "Secret Video Game Tricks, Codes, & Strategies Vol. 1" -- a name you'll remember if you grew up with that VHS as I did. D.

• Like 2

11. Nemesis (Game Boy)

It took a good couple hours of practice, but eventually I was able to not only beat Nemesis on the default settings with 2 lives and no continues but actually beat it without losing a single life! After finishing the game I decided to keep playing the second more difficult loop of the game until I ran out of lives (I had earned 5 extras over the course of the first game) and ended up making it to Level 4 of the second loop before I eventually lost a life. Once that happened the other 6 lives I had in reserve went very quickly, since the second game is mercilessly unforgiving if you lose your powerups. Nemesis is one of those games that doesn't give you any stopping point to take a good picture at after you beat the game, so you'll have to forgive the low picture quality, but I'm happy to be able to call another game for the NintendoAge list finished. :)

mE8Xxnl.jpg

• Like 2