IGNORED

Gorf on MAME...problems

Mock

I've been trying to get Gorf to work on the new version of MAME...long story short it's killing me.

It's saying bios is missing if i right click on Gorf in the list of games.

I've got the astrocde.zip file in with the roms...the gorf.zip file is in with the roms....

I don't understand what is missing or wrong here? I've googled it until my eyes are bleeding and it looks like everyone else seems to just load it up and it works? I don't get it?

any help?

it gives me the missing rom or chd error.

the info says "no bios" which i guess means it has no bios, not that its missing?

the rom file has

gorf-a.bin through gorf-h.bin

I've downloaded the rom file from several different places...it's always the same.

Dig Dug and none of the Mario games work either? which I've added all the Namcoxx files/drivers...also got the Bios and Devices packs and added them.

I don't know if its the new version of MAME or what but I've been fooling with this stuff for like 20 years so I dont understand why I can't fix this haha....frustrating.

i changed it to show the audits and its saying the Gorf audit on the rom is bad...but i've downloaded it from 3 different places and my old one I used years ago that worked i have...where can i find "what it's looking for" as far as the Gorf roms go? I did a google search and came up empty.

<rom name="gorf-a.bin" size="4096" crc="5b348321" sha1="76e2e3ad1a66755f1a369167fdb157690fd44a52" region="maincpu" offset="0"/>

<rom name="gorf-b.bin" size="4096" crc="62d6de77" sha1="2601faf12d0ab4972c5535ffd722b03ecd8c097c" region="maincpu" offset="1000"/>

<rom name="gorf-c.bin" size="4096" crc="1d3bc9c9" sha1="0b363a71d7585a4828e08668ebb2999c55e02721" region="maincpu" offset="2000"/>

<rom name="gorf-d.bin" size="4096" crc="70046e56" sha1="392214cc6ed4155bfe022d36f0f86c2594a5ab57" region="maincpu" offset="3000"/>

<rom name="gorf-e.bin" size="4096" crc="2d456eb5" sha1="720fb8b48e20c1fc281d8804259016c3c5364a07" region="maincpu" offset="8000"/>

<rom name="gorf-f.bin" size="4096" crc="f7e4e155" sha1="9c9d6d3bfee6556dc7a01de81d6148dd02f04fc9" region="maincpu" offset="9000"/>

<rom name="gorf-g.bin" size="4096" crc="4e2bd9b9" sha1="9edccceea5af015275582553ed238c40c73d8f4f" region="maincpu" offset="a000"/>

<rom name="gorf-h.bin" size="4096" crc="fe7b863d" sha1="5aa8d824814ee1c30eaf0044da78d3aa8220dcaa" region="maincpu" offset="b000"/>

from the best i can tell...that's what it's looking for...and I've got all of those .bin files with those exact names in the zip file? I don't get it????

Edited by Mock

ok so i downloaded MAME 0.141 and the rom I have works fine on it?

Variations between versions of MAME and ROMs often breaks comparability with games. All I know is had those "missing" error messages when I mixed versions, after that I simply stuck to getting ROMSETS bundled with a matching MAME version and have never had an issue since.

• Like 2

That's right. Get the latest set and you should be fine.

As MAME continues to evolve more and more chips are emulated rather than simulated - and that is situation with GORF. Now they're emulating the speech chip itself. GORF used the Votrax SC-01-A speech chip for voice synthesis. Older versions of MAME used samples and simulation. Now it's the real deal.

You will need to get votrax.zip, and in it the filename will be sc01a.bin. Just put it alongside your gorf.zip and everything should be dandy flappers again.

Running via the command line will tell you that.

• Like 1

Yup.. I thought so..

"MAME 0.181 also marks the debut of Votrax SC-01 emulation in MAME, based on reverse-engineering die photographs. The digital section should be pretty much perfect, although there are still some issues in the analog section (plosives don’t sound quite right). Overall, it’s a huge improvement in Votrax speech synthesis emulation, and a great leap forward in our understanding of how the hardware works. It also means speech samples are no longer required for a number of games."

I'm pretty sure Wizard of Wor, Reactor, and Q-Bert will be affected (and improved) with this change.

Edited by Keatah

so...we are talking about MAME 0.181 here...can anyone get Gorf to work?

I can get the older version to work...but I can't get it to work in 0.181 with the Votrax improvements...which I have the Votrax files (I think) as required.

That's the whole point of trying to get it to work in the newest release...supposedly they have fixed the sound files on Gorf and WOW...I haven't tried it yet as I assume if Gorf doesn't work then WOW won't either....fix one you probably fix both.

Qbert would be an awesome bonus.

That's right. Get the latest set and you should be fine.

As MAME continues to evolve more and more chips are emulated rather than simulated - and that is situation with GORF. Now they're emulating the speech chip itself. GORF used the Votrax SC-01-A speech chip for voice synthesis. Older versions of MAME used samples and simulation. Now it's the real deal.

You will need to get votrax.zip, and in it the filename will be sc01a.bin. Just put it alongside your gorf.zip and everything should be dandy flappers again.

Running via the command line will tell you that.

I have put the votrax.zip in the rom folder with the gorf.zip file and even put the sco1.bin (i don't see a sc01a.bin file?) in with the gorf.bin files in the gorf.zip folder and it's still not working.

Here try this one.. just snagged it offa usenet and it looks like it's only 5 days old, so maybe it'll work.

Thats it! and it works! Thanks!

now i've got the Gorfian Empire talking trash to me while I play hahaha....pretty awesome!

• Like 1