IGNORED

ABBUC Software Competition 2017

freetz

Well, month ago there was still chance I could've finished small puzzle game in time but now it's gone.

Last year I thought it's tough coding with one year old baby hanging around me. Turns out it's almost impossible with a two year old ;)

Combine that with relatives kid in visit, 35c in shade, swimming pool and daddy coded nothing in almost a week :)

I know we all love games but I wouldn't have it any other way :) one year from now we'll sure have something new from me :)

Good luck too all and I wish you all lots of fun with new games!

Ps. And I'll release this puzzle game soon, I'll won't be leaving it for next compo :)

I know the young ones are tough but you enjoy your child, they grow up so quickly, hard to think my daughter is almost 18, it feels like it was yesterday.

Family 1st, any free time after :)

• Like 2

I got the title screen working and an upside down skier with a few blobs of playfield but had too many technical problems to get it even half ready in time - though I did only start with a week(!) to go as I'd just finished programming the final version of my entry from last year "Space Fortress Omega" about a week before that - looking at getting this out there soon ;)

post-19705-0-64208400-1501620979.png

Now I have another year to finish Ski-It :-D

Thanks to Jose for trying to help with with some graphics and to Xuel for the race timer sorting code which works nicely :thumbsup:

Good luck to everyone who entered, this is always the highlight of the Atari year :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now I need to renew my abbuc subscription ;)

• Like 5

- The limitation to a stock 800 XL has been waived. You can now submit software that can make use of any extension available - but bear in mind that the more detailed your hardware requirements are, the less likely it is that the majority can run it and award points accordingly. So in case of very special requirements, you'd have to make sure that your game/application really rocks :)... The rationale behind this is that this should encourage authors to support a greater variety of extensions, such as MultiJoy or VBXE.

Could be interresting to see. Do people vote for non Atari Hardware, just because people write software for that, or does justice correct itself by losing any interrest by the community, because most Atari owner cannot run that software on a real machine.

It is really ridiculous, to see "non Atari" Hardware arriving the ABBUC SC , but people still blaming software that is running on a real Atari, using ALL features incl. undocumented opcodes of the CPU ...

Well, I'm tired of this discussion and wonder why some people are so passionate about it, but I can bring relief to everyone worrying by letting everyone know that all entries this year run on stock Atari machines...

Edited by freetz
  • Like 3

Well,

all program submissions for the ASC 2017 work on stock 64k Atari XL/XE computers. (Since I only have PAL 800XL computers I am unable to test the programs on real 400/800 and/or NTSC machines.) Furthermore, they work with joystick/joypad controllers, some also with keyboard (no paddles required this time)... and some require DOS...

Afaik, none of the six ASC programs require or support:

more than 64k RAM, VBXE, U1MB, Rapidus, Sophia, Covox, soundboard, etc.

@+Adam+

wrote you a pm... ;-)

• Like 1

I'm eagerly waiting for some images or recordings of the games that entered the competition. C'mon guys show what you got! :)

Adam will surely show you tonight/tomorrow/the day after tomorrow:

- a skateboarding game

- a minesweeper-duel game

- a text-adventure game

- a submarine (flappy-bird like) game

- another duel game (pl1 vs. pl2, pl.1 vs. CPU, CPU vs. CPU)

- a Centron-3D like game

In the meanwhile I am testing the games on real 800XL computers...

• Like 3

Okay then,

some pictures and short descriptions of the ASC 2017 game entries:

1) Bomb Square Duel: Play Minesweeper with two players in a duel (CTB):

post-3782-0-39215400-1501631503.jpg

post-3782-0-41241400-1501631537.jpg

2) Bounty Hunter: A text-adventure in Atari Basic, the program gives you choices (e.g. available movement) and also lists all available commands/options...

post-3782-0-20283500-1501631556.jpg

post-3782-0-27607100-1501631587.jpg

3) Citron3kg: Looks like a satire about the never-released Centron3D game. You control a car and have to collect citrons, while jumping over mines (that appear from level 2 onwards) and avoiding the alien ship that attacks you from time to time...

post-3782-0-29184300-1501631641.jpg

post-3782-0-97824300-1501631653.jpg

4) New Atari Game: A skateboarding game for one player, uses Gr. 8 with colours (DLIs), if you think the player moves too slow, speed-up by holding the joystick/joypad down, jump by pressing the fire-button; collect enough stars in time to end a level, also collect hearts for more lives...

post-3782-0-95714400-1501631694.jpg

post-3782-0-02777100-1501631708.jpg

5) Superfly XL: Once there was Superfly ST, now we have Superfly XL ! You control a yellow, errrm, blue submarine and have to avoid obstacles on your way; press the fire-button to move the submarine upwards, release it to make it move downwards and try to get as far as possible for a good highscore... (looks like Flappy Bird is only a Superfly clone)...

post-3782-0-38297900-1501631747.jpg

post-3782-0-51548400-1501631764.jpg

6) War Room: Another duel game for two players, but it can also be played with one player against the computer (CPU) and even computer vs. computer (study the AI here!). All you have to do is shoot your opponent until his energy runs out, avoid deadly slime and collect some more ammo from time to time...

post-3782-0-77960100-1501631811.jpg

post-3782-0-68617500-1501631824.jpg

"stinky" advert: You want these games NOW ? - Join Abbuc: http://www.abbuc.de/mitgliedschaft

• Like 11

Eeee.... Seeing all the entries I think I would win with any of my planned games if I managed to make them in time. Shame they are still only in my head ;) ;) ;)

Good work guys !

Time to start working on the next year entry ! :)

Yes maybe winner :).

And NO! you have to first end the one that would win this year ABBUC Contest for a public release and not for next year (and that was you that said it some posts ago) then code that other we now for that carts retro company and only after start around 5 or 6Months before the deadline the other we have in hands that can win next year also ;)...

:grin:

P.s.- And even beeing sad to not entered I'd like to send my congratulations to all that could finished and entered on this year.

:thumbsup:

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 4

Eeee.... Seeing all the entries I think I would win with any of my planned games if I managed to make them in time. Shame they are still only in my head ;) ;) ;)

How true: imaginary, non-existent-yet games are always the best. However, they never win in such contests, only the real ones ;) I would love to see your actions, not words, Popmilo, good luck! :)

• Like 4

Hi popmilo,

of course competition is part of the fun but I think no matter which game wins the contest we all won.

- Those are winners who submitted an entry because they got something finished. Yes, the final 10% are hard work.

But 90% are pure fun. Not only coding was fun but cooperation was fun as well. I talked to several people during development and these contacts were the ones that kept me motivated. Not only they provided superb graphics or fantastic sound, helped with code snippets or helped with setting up the development engine. I just got the impression that there are persons out there who have the same hobby, like to be productive etc. and simply like being an 8-Bit-ATARIan.

- Those are winners who still get new releases for a platform that is nearly 40 years old. These games might be good or bad this year (who can tell from some screenshots or videos?) but we still get new games we can talk about, share our opinions about them, love or hate them.

- Those are winners that perhaps got their motivation back to work on their own games so that these games are ready next year :sleep: even if they did not participate this year.

Finally, I enjoy what we got. I think there is a nice variety of games, we got six entries, one of them even revived a genre that was already dead (text adventures). I'm eagerly awaiting the abbuc disks.

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 5

I don't know how the rules could be harder to understand than in previous years as they were only changed in very few aspects - and then it was rather the removal of certain conditions that have now been done away with. In any case, these "enhanced" versions that you suggest would have a hard time proving that it's actually something new. Simply adding better graphics or supported periphery would not been sufficient for a re-entry. Like in previous years, btw.

But 90% are pure fun. Not only coding was fun but cooperation was fun as well. I talked to several people during development and these contacts were the ones that kept me motivated. Not only they provided superb graphics or fantastic sound, helped with code snippets or helped with setting up the development engine. I just got the impression that there are persons out there who have the same hobby, like to be productive etc. and simply like being an 8-Bit-ATARIan.

So true !

Imho, without all these "persons with same hobby" that you mention, none of our creations would see the light of day.

I wish I had more time for all the ideas that José put in my head, or that Heaven forces me to code for one of his demos ;)

There are so many new gfx and cross platform solutions, tricks, methods to use that it's now the best time ever to code a game for Atari.

My comment about games being better in my head is about that feeling of knowing what is possible on Atari and realizing that there's enough of us out there to make it happen. Not this year, probably not even the next, but soon :)

I would bet anyone for a case of beer that we will get decent versions of Atari 8bit Wolf clone, Turrican, R Type shooter, Out run, Star trading game with battles better than Star Raiders and something crazy that we can't even think of now.

And best of all it won't be me who coded all those games. It will be done by all of us as community.

Particular this year, I awaited something like a "The Monk enhanced" ... or finally an optimized "Crownworld 2" .... or an "X-8 2" with some promised enhancements....

Monk 2 is coming, gfx mode, story and title are already decided :)

Just give me couple years to make it ;)

• Like 4