Photo

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

Where Action 52 is tops the Game.com beats the N64 and Kaboom usually wins

990 replies to this topic

#26 wongojack ONLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 2,414 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:20 AM

Ok tracking team - I have a massive update to post.  When I joined the tracker last year, I did it in the winter.  For my first post, I added time from the previous 4-5 weeks and that included the week my wife and I call simply - "The Staycation."  It was those times that helped make one of our early weeks last year a top ten week.

Well, the Staycation is here again.  This involves me taking a week off of work after all the family stuff is done around the holidays.  This all began one year when we got taken advantage of by a contractor and had no kitchen in our house - he left it gutted and basically fled town.  We were out of money and couldn't afford an actual vacation, so we decided to just stay home and play with all the stuff we already owned.  We set up a little makeshift kitchen with a toaster oven and ate frozen meals the whole week.  Every year since, we've repeated the tradition, and even though we have a kitchen, we still stock up on frozen food right before the Staycation (saves time).  I usually make a list of 5 games, and I play as much of them as I can during that week.  Most years, I set a time limit and actually force myself to switch games.  That helps with the variety and makes it feel similar to my own little gaming festival.  As the years have gone by, I've tried to ensure a bit of variety in terms of the genres on the list.  Most years I'm playing a lot of modern games, but I've mixed in more and more classics the last few.  This year, things worked out where almost all of my games are classics.  So . . . here are my ridiculous times for the past 8 days:

Pac Man 4k 6

Asteroids 50

Basketbrawl 25

Dig Dug 26

Donkey Kong Jr. 47

Failsafe 58

Meteor Shower 30

One on One 25

Pac Man Collection 40

MSX 2

Metal Gear 591

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake  242

Nintendo 64

Zelda Ocarina of Time 887

Odyssey 2

KTAA 37

Pick Axe Pete   55

Windows 95/98

Baldur's Gate 784

Half Life 1036

Ineligible Steam Games

Gone Home 2.9hrs

Her Story 4.2 hrs

As I was evaluating which games to play this year, some very highly regarded games that I had never played rose to the top of the list.  I paid for the NES version of Metal Gear with my own money as a kid.  That game infuriated me, and it is the only game that I ever remember having to call a for-profit hint line to help me solve.  I did finish it, but I think I gave it away because I don't have my original copy anymore.  I tried to play Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation when it was new, but I could never really understand all the hype.  It seemed like it had the same ridiculous story elements as the 8 bit game I had played years before.  I just couldn't get passed that.  However, as the years have passed, I've become more patient with gaming in general, and I decided it was time to play the MSX originals.  I have these as part of the Metal Gear HD Collections (which I discovered I have for BOTH PS3 and X360).  I finished MG1, but I'm still working on 2.  There were some "Huh?" moments in there, but the experience is much better than that old NES version.  I'm hoping this will help me appreciate MG Solid when I finally get around to it again.

I think I've played a good sampling of Zelda games.  The original, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages, Minish Cap, Twilight Princess. . .   I'm probably missing one, but I had never played Ocarina of time.  I was debating finally playing Skyward Sword, but I opted to hook up the N64 and a CRT TV and get into the flute blowing classic.  Truthfully, I really didn't like Twilight Princess all that much.  I figured I should go back to the first 3D Zelda and play the game so many rate so highly.  Not done yet.

In what I think must have been 2002, a buddy lent me Half Life, and I played the first 2 hours or so on a Windows 95 laptop.  I got hung up on the platforming elements and just gave it back to him.  I think I was trying to play with WASD and the little mouse nub.  I don't think I even had a mouse to hook up at the time.  Anyway, the years have passed, and I've since played all HL 2 episodes and both Portals, so I figured it was time to go back.  I considered buying the new remade version - "Black Mesa" on Steam, but I already had a version of the game in my library, so I just went with that.  I still think the platforming is a bit ridiculous in this game, but I'm managing with a little help from frequent quicksaves.

1998 was a busy year for me.  That was my Sr year in college, and while I did play lots of Playstation games, I didn't know anybody who played Baldur's Gate.  It took a while, but I've since played lots of Bioware games.  At one point, I actually did buy Neverwinter nights used.  Remember when you could buy used PC games?  That must have been 2004 or so.  My wife ended up playing that one more than me.  I've come to be quite the Bioware fan though.  In fact, I focused heavily on KOTOR in last year's staycation and finally got through it.  RPGs are tough games to have in the mix for staycation though.  They take A LOT longer to play, and this one is going to be very slow.  Remember when you'd play an RPG for 3 hours and all you would have done was explore a town!  I forgot.  I also forgot how if you don't save the game, you'll die in your first fight and then basically be forced to repeat those 3 hours to avoid paying to rez your fighter.  That didn't actually happen to me, but I did have to adjust to the pattern of constantly saving the game.  We've come a long way with the autosave.

Finally, most of the 7800 and O2 gaming was done before I really got going with the main list. I've had Failsafe for a few years, and I like it.  I managed to beat the intermediate difficulty, and I'm not sure that I've ever done that before.  For the O2, I bought KTAA a while back, so I wanted to spend a little time with it.  However, Pick Axe Pete got most of my time there.

#27 Iwantgames:) ONLINE  

Iwantgames:)

Stargunner

• 1,940 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:28 AM

Looks like Pick Axe Pete is a decent game :) I got a O2 lot arriving Wednesday with 14 games and I think I may just start my first O2 experience out with Pick Axe :)

Btw what is KTAA? Does that stand for something?

Edited by Iwantgames:), Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:29 AM.

#28 wongojack ONLINE  

wongojack

River Patroller

• 2,414 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:33 AM

Looks like Pick Axe Pete is a decent game :) I got a O2 lot arriving Wednesday with 14 games and I think I may just start my first O2 experience out with Pick Axe :)

Btw what is KTAA? Does that stand for something?

It stands for "Kill the Attacking Aliens."  I got my copy from Packrat games probably 18-24 months ago.  It is a great homebrew shooter with power ups and stuff.  You should get it.  I believe Packrat also still sells the dipswitch variety of multicart for the O2.  It is the cheapest flashcart I've ever bought, and I've never regretted buying it even though the interface is a bit unfriendly.

#29 Iwantgames:) ONLINE  

Stargunner

• 1,940 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 1:35 AM

Nice I'll look into packrat games. Still learning about the O2 scene :)

#30 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,900 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 11:57 AM

As we begin the first gaming week of 2017 the big question that comes to mind for me is "How many of these @!#?@!in' tombs are there? And how much stuff does one woman really need to steal!?" :lol:

Also, this week I finally installed a backlight in my original Game Boy! 

xpErSpo.jpg

KAjzs6B.jpg

Atari 2600

Centipede TB - 8 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 6 minutes

Montezuma's Revenge - 72 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 8 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 10 minutes

Tomb Raider: Mystery of the Scarlet Dragon - 47 minutes

Venture - 20 minutes

Game Boy
Bram Stoker's Dracula - 179 minutes

Gauntlet II - 75 minutes

Mortal Kombat II - 13 minutes

Paperboy - 40 minutes

Solar Striker - 24 minutes

Tetris - 22 minutes

Yoshi - 41 minutes

Game Boy Color

Monopoly - 169 minutes

Montezuma's Return - 11 minutes

Project S-11 - 71 minutes

NES

Bram Stoker's Dracula - 8 minutes

PlayStation

Time Crisis: Project Titan - 62 minutes

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - 489 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,375 minutes (22 hours 55 minutes) [1,375 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

PlayStation: 551 minutes

Game Boy: 394 minutes

Game Boy Color: 251 minutes

Atari 2600: 171 minutes

NES: 8 minutes

It was a pretty exciting week for gaming around here this week, marked by the arrival of some new hardware for me and the beginning of yet another Tomb Raider game for the misses. Two of them in fact! To start things off for me, as you'll notice from the second picture I now have a backlit original Game Boy once again. Early last year I had ordered a backlit Game Boy from the now defunct GameBoyMods.co.uk but ultimately I wasn't happy with how yellowed the shell was when I received it so I ended up reselling it, but I did decide to keep all my Game Boy accessories for the day when I could build a backlit system myself that would be in the condition I wanted. And well, this week that day came! I took a perfect like-new condition original Game Boy and put my soldering practice to the test by installing an olive green colored backlight kit from DeadpanRobot.co.uk in it, and I'm pleased to say that the installation went off without a hitch!

With my newly upgraded Game Boy I spent much of my gaming time this week playing through old Game Boy favorites for the Games Beaten in 2017 thread and HighScore.com, but I also got in some time with the Atari 2600 as well. After about a month of waiting I finally got my CX-40 Atari joystick upgraded with a new gold PCB, enhanced button and button spring, and silicone shaft cover in the mail from Best Electronics! It was definitely well worth the wait and all the upgraded parts have made the CX-40 a very fast, precise, and enjoyable controller to use; which isn't something that I've ever been able to say about it before. :lol: Lastly for me, I also spent a little over an hour playing Time Crisis: Project Titan on the PlayStation. It's an excellent PlayStation exclusive sequel to the original Time Crisis that brings a couple new mechanics to the table, but I do have to say that it is a very challenging game! I've been trying to beat it every few months for what must be a year or so at this point, but I still haven't managed to pull it off yet. Ah well, practice makes perfect and this is one game that I certainly don't mind practicing. 

As far as the misses' gaming time this week goes, it was spent almost entirely on two Tomb Raider games. After finishing Tomb Raider III just before midnight on December 31st last year I remember her saying that she was going to take a break from Tomb Raider for a while and play Final Fantasy IV on the PlayStation next, but when I stumbled on a copy of Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (which is the next game in the series after Tomb Raider III) in a local game store early on the week I couldn't resist picking it up for her. And well, I think you know where that led! Any plans she might have had to play Final Fantasy went right out the window when I brought home the next Tomb Raider game. Fortunately she's been enjoying The Last Revelation a heck of a lot more than Tomb Raider III and has said (and I quote) "The Last Revelation is as good as Tomb Raider III was bad, and as easy as Tomb Raider III was hard. But, it is much better for a game to be too easy than too hard. I like it a lot!" Along with The Last Revelation on the PlayStation my other half also spent a fair bit of time playing through and beating Tomb Raider: The Mystery of the Scarlet Dragon on the Atari 2600 several times over. It is basically just a graphical hack of Montezuma's Revenge, but it's a very good one that we both thought really conveyed the feel and style of a Tomb Raider game. The misses in particular enjoyed it so much that she's planning on seeing if she can get a physical copy of it in the near future for her Tomb Raider game collection. 

In terms of what next week has in store for gaming around here it's really pretty up in the air. It's a safe bet that my wife is going to continue playing through Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation but I will be finally getting that oral surgery to have 16 teeth extracted done tomorrow (no chickening out this time lol) so I might not be in any shape to do much of anything for a few days afterwards. I will try to get some Game Boy time in while laid out in bed recovering though, and hopefully the recovery won't be too bad. Until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin, Mon Jan 9, 2017 12:54 PM.

#31 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,260 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 8:20 PM

Here's the summary for the eight-day Week 1, running from January 1 - 8. We logged 9996 minutes of eligible play, playing 91 games on a total of 23 systems.

Top 10:

1. Shiryou Sensen 2 (MSX2) - 1045
2. Half-Life (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 1036
3. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) - 887
4. Baldur's Gate (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 784
5. Shiryou Sensen: Browning no Fukkatsu (NEC PC-8801) - 670
6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 615
7. Metal Gear (MSX2) - 591
8. Lord of the Rings: Vol. 1 (SNES) - 514
9. Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (Tomb Raider 4) (PlayStation) - 489
10. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX2) - 242

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Shiryou Sensen: Browning no Fukkatsu (NEC PC-8801) - 670
2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 615
3. Space Attack (Arcade) - 132
4. Zoo Keeper (Arcade) - 120
5. Galaxian (Atari 5200) - 100
6. Yars' Revenge (Atari 2600) - 90
7. Montezuma's Revenge (Atari 2600) - 72
8. Robotron: 2084 (Arcade) - 60
8. Break Free (TI-99/4A) - 60
10. Failsafe (Atari 7800) - 58

Top 10 systems:

1. MSX2 (1878)
2. PC (Windows 95/98) (1820)
3. Atari 2600 (997)
4. N64 (887)
5. SNES (686)
6. NEC PC-8801 (670)
7. Game Boy (648)
8. PlayStation (551)
9. NES/Famicom (533)
10. Arcade (342)

Wow, what a week to start 2017! At only 4 minutes shy of the big 10K mark, it immediately vaults into our list of biggest-ever weeks, landing at #5 in the all-time Top 10. (Even if you were to reduce the total by 12.5% to compensate for the extra day, it'd still make the all-time list at #6.)

And in this big week, it's the MSX2 that takes the top prize, proving its big numbers toward the end of last year were no fluke. That said, it's no walkover, as only by a small margin does it hold off Windows 95/98 to take the top spot on the system charts, just as Shiryou Sensen 2 barely fends off Half-Life for the top game of the week.

The Shiryou Sensen series also grabs the pre-NES laurels, with the PC-8801 release edging out Kaboom for the crown.

Obviously Shiryou Sensen 2 and Half-Life jump straight into the 1000-minute club, with 1045 and 1041 minutes logged to date -- and making them the last two needed to bring the club up to a nice round total of 250 members.

#32 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,900 posts

Posted Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:31 PM

Wow was that ever a huge week! I don't know when the last time a game with 600+ minutes, or Kaboom! for that matter, didn't even crack the Top 5 games for the week but it certainly seems like it's been a while. Looks like the folks around here are really starting the new year off with a bang!

On a side note, I forgot to mention in it in my weekly post, but I was quite surprised (and rather delighted) to have discovered last week that the Game Boy and NES versions of Bram Stoker's Dracula are absolutely identical in every regard; aside from the NES version being in color that is. I spent right about 3 hours last week playing and trying to beat the Game Boy version and while it is a game that I really like I still haven't had any luck beating it yet, since it is a pretty difficult platformer and you have to play on Hard difficulty in order to access the last 6 levels (Scenes 5, 6, and 7). I've made it to part 2 of Scene 6 once now but I think it's going to take a lot more practice and memorization of where all the extra lives and continues are hidden before I'll be able to beat it. That's alright by me though, since I think it's a great game and won't mind one bit if I end up spending another week or two on it. :)

Edited by Jin, Mon Jan 9, 2017 9:34 PM.

#33 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:30 AM

@Jin: Kaboom! was on 10th place with 205 minutes in the last week of 2016, and barely met 5th place in the Christmas week. Thus it has had some serious competition in the past three weeks.

In week 6, 2016 (February 1-7), the 5th placed game (Gyruss C64) had 699 minutes. Coincidentally, Kaboom! ended that week on 7th place with 463 minutes, so a bit further away from the top 5.

#34 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,260 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 AM

Wow was that ever a huge week! I don't know when the last time a game with 600+ minutes, or Kaboom! for that matter, didn't even crack the Top 5 games for the week but it certainly seems like it's been a while. Looks like the folks around here are really starting the new year off with a bang!

Yes, it's a nice way to start the year! I certainly won't be logging 1000+ minutes of my own every week but it's a healthy sign for the tracker.

Interesting info about Dracula, BTW. Are you still logging your Game Boy victories over at the NintendoAge thread? I'm sure they'd appreciate the completion when it's finally Jin 1, Dracula 0. :)

Best of luck with your surgery! I was very lucky with my wisdom tooth extractions and had very little pain (plus a brief fever after the second session), so I wish you the same easy recovery.

#35 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,900 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:47 PM

@Jin: Kaboom! was on 10th place with 205 minutes in the last week of 2016, and barely met 5th place in the Christmas week. Thus it has had some serious competition in the past three weeks.

In week 6, 2016 (February 1-7), the 5th placed game (Gyruss C64) had 699 minutes. Coincidentally, Kaboom! ended that week on 7th place with 463 minutes, so a bit further away from the top 5.

Oh man, you're right! Kaboom! has had some really tough competition lately, but is nice to see that the tracker has been so active lately. :)

Yes, it's a nice way to start the year! I certainly won't be logging 1000+ minutes of my own every week but it's a healthy sign for the tracker.

Interesting info about Dracula, BTW. Are you still logging your Game Boy victories over at the NintendoAge thread? I'm sure they'd appreciate the completion when it's finally Jin 1, Dracula 0. :)

Best of luck with your surgery! I was very lucky with my wisdom tooth extractions and had very little pain (plus a brief fever after the second session), so I wish you the same easy recovery.

Thank you goldenband! I got home from the hospital about 5 hours ago and I'm doing pretty well so far. The inside of my mouth looks like something out of Silent Hill, with stitches and holes everywhere, but I haven't had any ill effects from the general anesthesia or much pain at all so far. With any luck I won't have to delve into the giant bottle of hydrocodone I was prescribed, and if things continue as they have thus far then I may be in store for a swift and easy recovery. At this point I'm just happy that I was finally able to face my phobia of getting dental work done and take care of those teeth that had been causing me no end of trouble for so many years.

As far as NintendoAge goes, I haven't been over there in many months but now that the new year is underway I would like to start assisting in their efforts to beat Game Boy games again. I'll have to swing over there tomorrow and post my current victories for the year when I'm feeling a bit more coherent and have some time to kill. :)

#36 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 AM

Jin, will you play Tooth Protectors on your 2600 this week? :)

#37 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,900 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 AM

Jin, will you play Tooth Protectors on your 2600 this week? :)

Wouldn't that be fitting! :lol: I've actually never played Tooth Protectors before, but I grew up playing Plaque Attack and I still like it a lot. I may have to play both this week!

#38 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

River Patroller

• 3,237 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:43 AM

hydrocodone? Is that stronger than oxycodone?      

When I had my 9 teeth extracted I got oxycodone but never needed it.    I did take a couple just to see how I'd feel though.  LOL      Didn't notice anything.

#39 Jin ONLINE  

Jin

Solar Striker

• 1,900 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:52 AM

hydrocodone? Is that stronger than oxycodone?      

When I had my 9 teeth extracted I got oxycodone but never needed it.    I did take a couple just to see how I'd feel though.  LOL      Didn't notice anything.

It's an apples and oranges sort of thing. Here's a short article on the differences if you're interested. Generally speaking I usually refuse narcotic pain medications because I don't like the disassociated feeling they cause but in this case I'm happy to have them. I wasn't too comfy when the numbness in my mouth wore off 10 hours or so after the surgery, and small doses of hydrocodone have been helping a lot.

And oh, to get the thread back on topic, here's a little gaming time I logged last night :)

Atari 800XL (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)
---------------------------------------------------------------
Montezuma's Revenge - 13 minutes
Ms. Pac-Man - 16 minutes
Pac-Man - 10 minutes
Robotron 2084 - 5 minutes

#40 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 AM

While I'll post my minutes at the end of the week, I'd like to add that yesterday I may have achieved a new first in the tracker history, as I managed to load some WAV files into my Famicom keyboard (yes, it doubles as keyboard and cassette I/O) and thus played some already typed-in Family BASIC programs. The games were rather simple, but a fun exercise. Almost all of them feature Mario as the protagonist, shooting at crabs, spaceships and random aliens.

#41 ls650 ONLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 6,734 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 PM

I read some comments about Allia Quest running well on the Atari Flashback Portable, so checked it out with both AFP and the Javascript online emulator.

Wow - I'd never heard of it before, but it's a really decent pattern shmup.

#42 karokoenig OFFLINE  

karokoenig

River Patroller

• 2,024 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:21 AM

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 98 min

At least some time this weekend to keep doing what I do. Hunting silently. April '45 already in the campaign. I doubt there'll be another 1200 minutes in there for me. But we'll see.

#43 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 5,250 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:03 AM

Famicom:
Crab Game - 9 min.
Daimajin Attack - 4 min.
Moonbase 2 - 2 min.

Well then. I didn't get as much played as I had thought. The above three games are written in Family BASIC. Screenshots and WAV files were downloaded here: http://www.famicomwo...hp?topic=8234.0

#44 Kurt_Woloch OFFLINE  

Kurt_Woloch

Stargunner

• 1,226 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 PM

Here are my times for this past week (January 9th through 15th)...

Arcade:

Space Attack (Sega) - 29 min.

Space Invaders - 10 min.

Space Invaders Part II - 3 min.

Tutankham - 8 min.

Atari 2600:

Tutankham - 43 min.

Colecovision:

Tutankham - 16 min.

Facebook / Online (non-eligible):

Track Racing Online - 55 min.

Intellivision:

Tutankham - 167 min. in 6 sessions

TI-99:

Tutankham - 14 min.

Windows 7 (non-eligible):

Ballenger Demo - 11

I started off by playing some more Space Attack which I started last week. As a comparison, I also played the original Space Invaders and its sequel, Space Invaders Part II. The original is actually harder than Sega's version because your ship moves much slower, and you don't get an extra life at the end of the bonus round if you hit the saucer because that bonus round doesn't exist.

Then I replayed some versions of Tutankham, starting with the Intellivision version which I remembered being somewhat hard and frustrating. After having played the TI-99 version not too long ago, I went on a replay on this one, followed by some other versions. Here's a comparison:

Intellivision: The slowest version of all, by far. There are at most 5 enemies on screen, and they aren't very intelligent... they only change direction randomly when hitting a wall. There is no time limit and no time bonus at the end of each stage. While the game is slow, the controls are also somewhat unresponsive at times, so you don't always go where you expect. It's also frustrating because the enemies spawn pretty quickly, and since you walk slowly you sometimes can't avoid them.

TI-99: As I said before, this one is pretty enjoyable. It's on the easy side, and there are at most 4 enemies on screen at once. The animation is very smooth, and the controls are much better than on the Intellivision, although here you can only shoot in the direction you're facing. The scrolling lags a bit due to the TI's slow CPU.

Arcade: Of course this is the original one. The action is fast and furious, and there are many (I think at least 8) enemies on screen at one time. However, it's somewhat easier than the Intellivision version in that you move faster, so you can better avoid spawning enemies. You also get a brief break from enemies after activating a flash bomb and after losing a life. The sprite hardware, however, has a problem with drawing multiple sprites on top of each other, so that the transparent pixels still obfuscate non-transparent pixels of other sprites.

Colecovision: This one looks much like the TI-99, but it's a bit faster when scrolling because the CPU is faster. It's also harder than the TI-99 version because the enemies seem to go after you more aggressively. However, you get a generous 8 lives and 5 flash bombs at the start, and for the first few rounds, there's only one keyhole in each maze so you don't have to backtrack to get that second key. The animation of the enemies is actually a bit more choppy than on the TI-99.

Atari 2600: This one has a completely changed maze layout with horizontal instead of vertical scrolling, due to the Atari 2600's limitations. It's still pretty fast, although the animation is not that smooth... your player jumps by 4 pixels one step.

I also wanted to try the VIC-20 version, but I couldn't get it to run on VICE.

Another thing I noticed is that the scoring is different in each version of Tutankham. The Atari 2600 scores in steps of 1, and you get 40 or 50 points at the end of a round. The Intellivision counts up in steps of 100 without having a time bonus awarded at the end of each round. The arcade version scores in 10's and has a timer going down which is converted into bonus points at the end of each round. The Colecovision version counts down in points instead of seconds, and you also get single points for your bonus.

And then I did something I never did before... I have a laptop running on Windows 7 while my home PC still runs Windows XP. Until now, I only used the laptop for the sake of portability, to do some databases on the go, exit some Excel sheets or Word documents or play some music, but now there's more and more software which will not run on Windows XP anymore, so I tried to install it on the laptop. Such a game is Ballenger Demo, a demo for a 3D engine where you roll and jump around with a ball trying to reach some goals in a landscape, similar to Marble Madness. A similar case is Track Racing Online, which on Facebook doesn't work on my home PC, but does work on the laptop. However, on a different gaming page it did work on my home PC. But I actually wanted to try the Track Editor, which has got a problem on both PC's so that the terrain gets hidden, and after that can't be un-hidden anymore, so you only see the road itself. Maybe you'd need a better graphics card for this to work.

I had even less luck with "Stunt Rally 2.6" which I didn't get to work on either PC. On the home PC, it doesn't work on Windows XP (again) because it uses a KERNEL32.DLL routine which doesn't exist on XP, but on the laptop it fails with an error which probably is related to the poor graphics of that laptop (it's a Thinkpad T60). I didn't list that game because I actually didn't get to play it.

In both cases I actually wanted to try the track editor because there was a craze about a non-existing country called "San Escobar" invented by Poland's foreign minister in an interview. Someone drew up a fictive map of San Escobar, and my goal was to transform it into a racing game, but it didn't work out.

Edited by Kurt_Woloch, Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:14 PM.

#45 Atarian7 OFFLINE  

Atarian7

River Patroller

• 3,237 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:18 PM

Atari 2600

Kaboom! - 598 minutes

High score of the week: 195,763

#46 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

Quadrunner

• 6,162 posts
  • 5200 HSC Mod

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:45 PM

5200-

Mario Bros.- 80min

Genesis-

Double Dragon- 25min

GBA-

Final Fight- 30min

#47 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 5,260 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 PM

My times for the week:

NES:
Flappy - 51 min.

Game Boy:
Pocahontas - 61 min.

SNES:
Hit the Ice - 12 min.
International Tennis Tour - 130 min.
Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 - 195 min.

Virtual Boy:
Golf - 7 min.
Mario's Tennis - 20 min.

PlayStation:
Missile Command - 2 min.
RC Helicopter - 115 min.
Rescue Copter - 13 min.

Finished off Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, and also beat RC Helicopter, a mildly entertaining little trifle for PlayStation that was localized from the Simple 1500 series in Japan (a nice source for mildly entertaining trifles).

I also won the opening tournament in International Tennis Tour on Amateur difficulty, which was painfully slow, and then went back and did it again on Professional difficulty, which is far more playable.

Otherwise I made it through some more levels in Flappy, started working on the rather dire Game Boy port of Pocahontas, and tinkered with a few sports games and new acquisitions.

#48 Iwantgames:) ONLINE  

Stargunner

• 1,940 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:24 PM

Here's my times for the week :)

Odyssey 2 -

Got my Odyssey 2 on wendsday and mostly just tested each game although a couple got alittle more thoroughly tested :P

Attack of the Timelord - 180min
I absolutely love this game!!!

Crypto-logic - 5min

Helicopter Rescue - 5min

Invaders from Hyperspace - 5min

K.C.'s Crazy Chase - 35min

K.C. Munchkin - 20min

Nimble Numbers Ned - 5min

Out of this World - 5min

Pick Axe Pete - 15min

Sid the Spellbinder - 15min

Speedway - 5min

Spin-out - 5min

Thunderball - 20min

Type and Tell - 10min

UFO - 15min

TI-99/4A

Tried out a new Rasmus game that's being made, played some Tetris for this month's high score competition, and worked on coding my new TI game

Dungeons of Asgard Demo - 15min

Steven and the Great Demon Invasion early alpha - 20min
Spent alot more time coding but only about 20min of actual testing

Tetris - 75min

Wonderswan -

Engacho - 10min

#49 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 4,314 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:34 PM

More NES goodness for the week...

Defender of the Crown - 10 minutes
Burgertime - 15 minutes
Baseball Stars - 240 minutes (we keep getting hooked on this one)

#50 BurritoBeans OFFLINE  

BurritoBeans

Moonsweeper

• 406 posts

Posted Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:55 PM

Game.com

Lights Out - 300 minutes

PC (Windows)

Nocturne - 1550 minutes

PC-8801

Shiryou Sensen: Browning no Fukkatsu - 600 minutes

Well, finals for school are through so I have all the spare time in the world right about now - my sleep is really off and pretty much all my gaming time was dedicated to these two titles this week, but it was enjoyable.

The main game of the week was Nocturne, a horror game from '91 that's set in the '20s/'30s and is about "The Stranger" - your generic fedora/trenchcoat dude - who's a part of "The Spookhouse" which is some government orginization set up to wipe out monsters. Now, here's a big list of stuff I found to be pretty slick when I was playing it:

• The guns are beautiful. You have two pistols which are individually-controlled if you want them to be that'll take out most-anything, have a good system for aiming (woohoo laser sights!) and I was pleasantly surprised how they handled controlling them - I hate aiming in Resident Evil with a passion, and I didn't have that issue at all throughout Nocturne. Also, there's the Tommy Gun and Crossbow for weapons which are a good bit of fun.
  • The characters are cool. The Stranger reminds me of the whole Mysterious guy with a trenchcoat in old radio plays and stuff, the assistants and members of the Spookhouse (Elspeth, Moloch, Seymore, Colonel, etc.) all have a good story to 'em, Svetlana was neat as she reminded me of Rayne from Bloodrayne (fun fact bloodrayne is pretty much Nocturne 2) and some of the stuff like Al Capone and the German scientist were neat to see.
  • The missions all have some sort of cool plot to them and take a bit so you get good playtime out of them
  • They handled the stuff that'd get it a high ESRB rating pretty well - they did a good mix with the violence/horror/sexual aspects of the game, and it works really well in the end.

and the bad stuff:

• Cutscenes were a PITA to get working with Windows, I kept getting crashes and I probably spent ~50 minutes just fixing it
  • Glitches were all over the place, and I lost a few good saves to them. Re-doing stuff gets annoying fast.
  • The controls eventually did get to be an issue, and having to swap in/out of 1st person from the fixed angle confused me with this when I was in anywhere fairly dark
  • cliffhangers are stupid

So really I'd say if you want a damn fine horror title, pick up Nocturne. Yes you will get glitched out and possibly lose progress causing you to contemplate throwing a PC out the window if you do get into it, but man was it fun - I haven't played a good fairly modern horror game in a while and this fixed that.

Shiryou Sensen is back on the list as I figured I'd see how many real changes were made in the PC-8801 version - yeah I think I got all the main ones covered in my last post, I couldn't find anything. Still, I took some time to do just about everything there is to do and found a few glitches along the way - seriously, getting stuck in a text loop that causes you to die over and over is entertaining for 20 minutes and then it gets boring. I did enjoy running through it again, but I think I'm going to retire the series for a while until I find my binder of PC Engine games.

Finally, Lights Out is here because I saw Jin ask about it.

I took it to work and played it during lunch. Other people thought it was stupid and so did I.

Expect to see more of it, I'm thinking Game.com may go somewhere this year.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users