IGNORED

Turbo Box Restoration

the1hatman

Is there a way to archive so it is easy-to-find? I'm going to try it with a burgertime gatefold.

Ooooo.... post some pics of the progress if you can. I haven't tried restoring a gatefold box yet and would love to see your work! Pretty sure most or all of the things I've posted here should work on a gatefold as well. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

There is a lot of tape involved along with the dreaded price tag.

01.jpg

The back has some tape issues as well.

02.jpg

As is often the case with Coleco boxes, the sides were creased and crushed and the tabs were torn off.

03.jpg

On the other side the top tab was actually missing.

04.jpg

The bottom flap of the box was not completely unglued but was tearing the under flap away with it.

05.jpg

So that's what I had to work with, It looks rough but this is Coleco's rarest Intellivision release so it's worth the effort to save as much as possible. A collector like me is lucky to even have a box for this. Let's begin...

First I have to deal with the tape. A lot of it can be removed by just being careful and slowly pulling the tape away from the surface. If any piece of it starts to rip or remove the graphic from under it, I simply have to leave that bit in place and cut away the loose tape to leave a clean, flat edge. I try to keep as much of the original box as possible. The Price tag has to be removed with a combination of Goo Gone and simple friction.

06.jpg

The tape continued to the back along with a lot of dirty tape residue. I was able to remove all of the tape on this side and used a tiny amount of Goo Gone to take off the dirty glue residue. Too much of it will damage the surface of the box so a small corner of paper towel damp with Goo Gone is all that's needed. Once that is done I can take the box apart by splitting the manufactured edge (the glued side) down the side. This has to be done carefully to not rip the already crushed box side.

07.jpg

The now opened box with the tape and glue removed and most of the price tag coming off. Had to let the tag sit damp with Goo Gone for a bit before it could be removed all the way.

08.jpg

Now I can see the inside of the box and where it needs new support added to reverse the crushing of the sides. I can't repair the creasing that's taken place over the years but I can give the box back its original shape and rigidity.

09.jpg

The cartridge retention looks ok at first glance but has some crushing where the supports meet the box. These will have to be re-enforced as well.

10.jpg

A closer look at the other side reveals how Coleco's use of perforated edges to create folds causes them to split apart. This can be fixed with clear packing tape cut to fit the creases exactly.

11.jpg

Just like the outside of the box, I have to take apart the cart retention to shore up the supports there as well. There is a lot of old dry glue that has to be removed whenever you do this or the new seams will not adhere properly.

12.jpg

Here is all the tape, glue chunks and strips of separated cardstock that shredded off from the box. All had to be removed to clear the way for new adhesion but this was all that was lost from the original. Not much really.

06a.jpg

Now I can fix the torn/missing tabs. Thankfully one was still inside the box and was the piece with the part number that goes with Turbo. This is put back in place using HD Clear packing tape cut exactly to the tab's shape. I use the HD Clear because it practically disappears against the background graphics. You can feel it when you hold the box but it takes nothing away from its the appearance on the shelf.

14.jpg

The other side was missing the tab completely. Thankfully I had an extra Donkey Kong box that was actually in worse shape but still had the universal Ivy Hill printing tab Coleco used on all their boxes. A quick snip and tape job later and the transplanted tab looks like it belonged all along.

13.jpg

Now I can begin adding the new support pieces that will prevent crushing and give the box its original shape back. This is done by cutting cardstock strips that fit exactly inside the original scoring seams of the box. I use double sided tape and a few dots of super glue along the back to keep the support in place and make it permanent.

15.jpg

You can see the difference this makes on the outside and how well the box holds its shape... BEFORE:

03.jpg

...and AFTER:

16.jpg

These supports are placed along the spine of every vertical part of the box and cart retainer as well as along the bottom inside flap to repair the tearing the old glue was causing there.

17.jpg

Here is the now sturdy cart retention piece after being reconnected to the inside. I also had to flatten out the part the cart rests on as it had gotten smashed over time. I re-enforced it with extra layers of tape to keep this from happening in the future.

18.jpg

The last major hurdle was the amount of fading that had happened to the front. All of the yellow accents had turned white: the Sega logo, Intellivision text on the stripe, inside the TURBO logo and some of the arcade case graphics. I took a chance with a yellow Sharpie permanent marker and found that it did a very nice job bringing the color back to these areas. Here is a little sample of before and after in the Intellivision text.

19.jpg

And the now the entire front is brought back to full color. I also touched up parts of the arcade case with a black marker and a few dots where the price tag had damaged the purple background at the top right corner. Some glue residue from the tag is still visible but it's a lot better than it was... BEFORE:

01.jpg

...and AFTER:

21.jpg

The box is now sturdy enough to stand on its own again even with everything inside.

24.jpg

The top flap I repaired with just the HD Clear tape and no extra cardstock support so it looks as close to all original as possible when it is opened. It also looks more natural with the original hangtag piece that somehow is still attached to this well traveled box. All of the other added supports you saw on the inside are more or less hidden unless you really peer down inside the box and look for them on the sides.

25.jpg

Overall, the entire thing came out much better than I'd hoped and now holds a proud place in my collection... BEFORE:

27.jpg

...and AFTER:

22.jpg

Back together with the manual, Coleco catalog and warranty card (and possibly some custom overlays to finish it off).

26.jpg

Special thanks to BBWW for sending me this great box!

As an update, I have since added a CIB Turbo to my collection that did not need such restoration but still have this copy as a spare.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 1/11/2018 at 4:13 AM, the1hatman said:

The box is now sturdy enough to stand on its own again even with everything inside.

24.jpg

The top flap I repaired with just the HD Clear tape and no extra cardstock support so it looks as close to all original as possible when it is opened. It also looks more natural with the original hangtag piece that somehow is still attached to this well traveled box. All of the other added supports you saw on the inside are more or less hidden unless you really peer down inside the box and look for them on the sides.

25.jpg

Overall, the entire thing came out much better than I'd hoped and now holds a proud place in my collection... BEFORE:

27.jpg

...and AFTER:

22.jpg

Back together with the manual, Coleco catalog and warranty card (and possibly some custom overlays to finish it off).

26.jpg

Special thanks to BBWW for sending me this great box!

As an update, I have since added a CIB Turbo to my collection that did not need such restoration but still have this copy as a spare.

Excellent job and tutorial !!!???

• Thanks 1

I don't exactly remember what the 'last straw' was with him, but he had the tendency of pissing people off here in the forums, so that didn't do him any favors. I remember him being on 'thin ice' here a few times with the mods, so maybe it was one snarky comment too many that finally did him in. ?

I never really had any problems with him personally.. Got some great deals on quite a few nice, minty/excellent condition CIB Intellivision games from him, so I can't complain. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

I don't exactly remember what the 'last straw' was with him, but he had the tendency of pissing people off here in the forums, so that didn't do him any favors. I remember him being on 'thin ice' here a few times with the mods, so maybe it was one snarky comment too many that finally did him in. ?

I never really had any problems with him personally.. Got some great deals on quite a few nice, minty/excellent condition CIB Intellivision games from him, so I can't complain. ?‍♂️

I see…

I saw a link to a "discord" forum here on Aa.

I guess that that’s the place where to wreak the stress of the life isn’t it?