56 replies to this topic

#51 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,628 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 AM

I have finished wiring up the cable for the Flex card to the 99/4a expansion port.  

I ordered one of the PEB extension cables from hello cables and verified it worked then I took off  the male connector.  Stripped the wires and mapped the pins to the wires.

This ribbon cable has each pair  of wires twisted and has a plastic shrink wrap over the entire ribbon cable.  Makes it stiffer than a regular ribbon cable.

Tomorrow I will make some final voltage reads on the PEB lower PCB and then see if I got it all right and the 99/4A powers up with the interface card in.  If that goes well then I will replaced voltage regulators on a 32k card and try again and go into XB and see if I can see the extra RAM.

Report back then.

Edited by Shift838, Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 AM.

#52 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,628 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:35 PM

i have finished building the card and hooked up the cables a couple a couple at a time and the TI boots.

I see an issue that the LED does not flash like the flex typically does.

Also putting a 32k card in and going in XB and issuing a SIZE command does not return the extra ram.  So this leads me to think the flex card is not working correctly.

Anyone have a clue of what I need to check.  All my solder points look good, no bridged connections, etc.

#53 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,628 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:03 PM

ok.

So...  my flex cable is good.  It was my memory card that was bad.  

So I have my new bare flex card that i built with a cable that is about 20 inches long.

now I need to replace the voltage regulators in the rest of my cards....

:-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D

#54 Opry99er OFFLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,600 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:55 PM

That's good stuff there... :)

I need a shorter flex cable... One that isnt an inch thick, too. :)

#55 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,628 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:50 PM

That's good stuff there... :)

I need a shorter flex cable... One that isnt an inch thick, too. :)

Here is the exact pinout's I used to make a shorter one.  of course like I said my cable is only 20 inches and so far it seems to work.  still doing a lot of testing though.

Attached Files

Edited by Shift838, Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:51 PM.

#56 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:18 PM

Here is the exact pinout's I used to make a shorter one.  of course like I said my cable is only 20 inches and so far it seems to work.  still doing a lot of testing though.

Looking good ... glad to see it's shaping up! Hopefully all the signal pins match for power on ;-]

I've been tinkering in Express PCB and finally got my first proof done for replacing my PEB cable with a 2.5" x 3.3" board that contains all the buffer electronics fed to a high-density (HD37) connector so I can go with a round 2.5' cable to my newly populated PEB cards.

Attached Files

#57 Shift838 ONLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,628 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:30 PM

Looking good ... glad to see it's shaping up! Hopefully all the signal pins match for power on ;-]

I've been tinkering in Express PCB and finally got my first proof done for replacing my PEB cable with a 2.5" x 3.3" board that contains all the buffer electronics fed to a high-density (HD37) connector so I can go with a round 2.5' cable to my newly populated PEB cards.

nice.  I would be interested to snag a couple of these when you release them.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users