The FinalGROM 99

394 replies to this topic

#376 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:08 AM

Good point. :)   What I meant is that my patch file "version_1_1.avr" will update the FG99 uC, but you need to rename it to UPDATE.AVR first.

I'll reword the section.

#377 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,425 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:04 AM

Good point. :)   What I meant is that my patch file "version_1_1.avr" will update the FG99 uC, but you need to rename it to UPDATE.AVR first.

I'll reword the section.

So how can I tell the update worked?
Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#378 Sinphaltimus OFFLINE  

Sinphaltimus

Stargunner

• 1,849 posts
  • Distracted at the Keyboard

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:42 AM

So how can I tell the update worked?
Greg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

You won't see the system volume information in the menu of the final grom or you can put a folder on the final grom and set it to hidden in windows then check if it shows up in the FG menu.

#379 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 AM

Also, there's a little dot behind the v1.  Yeah, it's too subtle.  :ponder:

#380 Barry Nelson OFFLINE  

Barry Nelson

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 5:01 AM

The cart "Red Baron" does not run on a FinalGROM 99. Pretty much everything else has worked. Red Baron uses this cartridge type:

pagedcru
Cartridges with one ROM of 8K to 64K rom_socket
Uses CRU banking (DataBioTics)

But I can't seem to get it to work in the FinalGROM 99. I don't think the FinalGROM supports the pagedcru cartridge paging method. The attached 
rpm  file works fine in MESS/MAME.

Attached Files

#381 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 5:48 AM

I don't think the FinalGROM supports the pagedcru cartridge paging method.

No, you're exactly right.  The FG99 only supports bank switching that writes to ROM cart space >6xxx/>7xxx.

A lot of CRU switching carts have been converted to this, but Red Baron probably hasn't been yet.

#382 x24b OFFLINE  

x24b

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Tue Aug 1, 2017 1:58 PM

Is there an Assembly Language source or Extended Basic source dump for Red Baron? I would LOVE to study it.

#383 Ksarul OFFLINE  

Ksarul

River Patroller

• 4,086 posts

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:57 PM

Red Baron (also known as Spad XIII) was written in Assembly--and I have never seen a copy of the source code for it.

Edited by Ksarul, Wed Aug 2, 2017 2:58 PM.

#384 x24b OFFLINE  

x24b

Star Raider

• 68 posts

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 3:17 PM

Years ago I tried to disassemble SpadXIII and found it had copy protection.

I never was able to open the file to see the disassembled program.

With the FinalGROM 99 we will be able to run larger and more involved programs, and coupled with the F18A video capabilities we should be able to create actual simulator type programs.

The programs created may be simple wire-frame affairs, but can be an order of magnitude more sophisticated than SpadXIII.

Flight simulators are not trivial, but even with the limitations of the original hardware SpadXIII was a wonderful product.

It had most of what a flight simulator needs (stripped to the bare minimum).

I'd LOVE to see an updated, sophisticated SpadXIII, or even Flight Simulator equivalent to the green screen wire-frame Apple version.

Do we know the Author? Is he/she still around and coding? Would they release the source so some of us could take a whack at it?

#385 PeteE OFFLINE  

PeteE

Star Raider

• 70 posts

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 6:09 PM

I converted RedBaron to the bank switching method that works on FinalGrom99.  You can get the file redbaron8.bin from this post.

#386 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

• 10,280 posts
  • TI-99/4A Fanatic

Posted Wed Aug 2, 2017 6:17 PM

I've updated the FR99/FG99 thread and this made feature of the week PeteE!

Edited by --- Ω ---, Wed Aug 2, 2017 6:38 PM.

#387 chue ONLINE  

chue

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:01 PM

I put too much time into this, and the results are not as good as I would have liked.  Here's my case...

The coloring is FinalGROM RedTM to match the FinalGROM itself.  In total I used 2 cases, ruining one.

Disclaimer: Thanks to the magic of photography (strategic angling of subject, jpeg compression, depth of field), the imperfections in the case are not seen in the photos. 

Attached Files

#388 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted Thu Aug 3, 2017 12:06 PM

I updated version patch 1.1 so that the FinalGROM 99 is now showing a proper V1.1 in the menu.  It also ups the SD access delay to 5 ms.  If your SD card still doesn't work after the patch, I recommend using a different card (4-8 GB seem ideal).

#389 vectrexroli OFFLINE  

vectrexroli

Moonsweeper

• 461 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:38 AM

Got my 3D printed case for the FinalGROM99. It fits in perfectly, the only modification I did is that I soldered in a new red LED and let that one shine through Ralph´s original label.

Attached Files

#390 eightbit OFFLINE  

eightbit

River Patroller

• 2,474 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 12:56 AM

Ralph and c0d3m4st4 both have made my late summer a really enjoyable one ;) I am looking forward to Halloween (my favorite time of the year) and figured I'd go with that theme for the case for this incredible board. Did the same for Jedimatt's 32KB module. I am super happy to say the least ;)

Attached Files

#391 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

• 10,280 posts
  • TI-99/4A Fanatic

Posted Tue Aug 8, 2017 8:07 PM

I'm really lovin' this new cartridge shell by c0d3m4st4. :thumbsup:

I wanted to make a video of it today, but spent hours at the emergency room with a family member so I did not get the chance.  :_(

Anyway, I like the way the SD card is TOTALLY FLUSH with the front of the cartridge when fully inserted.  That is so nice!  Unfortunately I buggered up the label a little when cutting out the notch for the SD card... dammit! :mad:   Soooo, I'll still get the video made, but it'll probably next week as time allows.  

BTW - c0d3m4st4, if you are reading this, this is your best work yet.  I also like the design of your buttons.  Excellent!  I'm going to design a new label too (as time allows).  I'm figuring it'll have a built-in window for the LED showing "activity".

Attached Files

#392 c0d3m4st4 OFFLINE  

c0d3m4st4

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:33 AM

Glad you like it :)

Hopefully that was nothing serious and he/she is fully recovered!

Cheers!

#393 suberbanator OFFLINE  

suberbanator

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 AM

i know finalgrom bins cannot be used on flashrom but can flashrom bins be used on finalgrom 

it may have already been posted and i missed it thanx

#394 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 481 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 AM

i know finalgrom bins cannot be used on flashrom but can flashrom bins be used on finalgrom 

it may have already been posted and i missed it thanx

Yes, here.   :)

#395 suberbanator OFFLINE  

suberbanator

Combat Commando

• 6 posts

Posted Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 AM

Theoretically, yes.

The FlashROM 99 didn't have any filename restrictions, though, so some FlashROM 99 programs may be missing (short filename ending in D) or not working (short filename ending in G) when used in the FinalGROM 99.  The details are in the "Filenames" section of the homepage, which sounds more complicated that it is.

The other way around will list GROM images, but the FlashROM 99 will think they're ROM images.

To avoid confusion, I'd would not mix them personally, but it works if you know what you're doing.

thanks ralph

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users