The FinalGROM 99

141 replies to this topic

#126 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Mar 8, 2017 10:47 AM

I hope you figure out all the problems soon. Thank you for making it fit in a standard TI cartridge case.  Can it be SD micro?

Waiting for this amazing cart to be released.  BTW, tomorrow is my birthday.  :-)

Darryl

Well then.  

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D 

#127 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 11:52 AM

In the Crazy Crazy department...  I wonder if there would be a way to make the images on the SD card look like photos to this thing...

http://www.ebay.com/...ce/222418897726

or this...

https://www.amazon.c...W/dp/B00UOYPZP2

or this...

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B00A659ILQ/

If so, you could serve images up to the FinalGROM on your TI99 wirelessly from your phone, notebook or the cloud...  WIFI pass through could potentially support an IP stack.

Edited by aftyde, Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:00 PM.

#128 RickyDean OFFLINE  

RickyDean

Dragonstomper

• 519 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:02 PM

In the Crazy Crazy department...  I wonder if there would be a way to make the images on the SD card look like photos to this thing...

http://www.ebay.com/...ce/222418897726

or this...

https://www.amazon.c...W/dp/B00UOYPZP2

If so, you could serve images up to the FinalGROM on your TI99 wirelessly from your phone, notebook or the cloud...  WIFI pass through could potentially support an IP stack.

I was under the assumption that as long as these were powered they would be accessible through a wifi link regardless of what their in. But you know the meaning of assume.

#129 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts
  • No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:08 PM

I was under the assumption that as long as these were powered they would be accessible through a wifi link regardless of what their in. But you know the meaning of assume.

Those work exactly in that way:  As long as they have power (and the company has provided software for the platform you want to send files from), you can send files/photos/whatever.

I have a similar one installed on my Atari Ultimate cart as well as my personal FR99 cart.  Makes it very easy to send files from inside the house (main desktop) to the cave (TI/A8).

#130 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Thu Mar 9, 2017 12:46 PM

Which card are you using?  

Those work exactly in that way:  As long as they have power (and the company has provided software for the platform you want to send files from), you can send files/photos/whatever.

I have a similar one installed on my Atari Ultimate cart as well as my personal FR99 cart.  Makes it very easy to send files from inside the house (main desktop) to the cave (TI/A8).

#131 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:38 AM

This took way longer than expected, but we finally solved the stability problems and are now ready to move on.

These past weeks Eric (speccery) was kind enough to use his logic analyzer to analyze the faulty signals of the FinalGROM.  And sure enough, he found two major issues.

First, and this didn't involve the logic analyzer, I didn't connect AVcc on the microcontroller. :dunce:  I didn't read the datasheet and left AVcc unconnected, as I wasn't using AREF.  Well, easy fix.

Second, Eric found out that the control signals from the microcontroller to the CPLD weren't stable.  During normal operation, they should remain constant, but he saw that occasionally at least one of them flopped to the other value for some nanoseconds.  This would mess with the processing logic of the CPLD and thus yield arbitrary results.  I think the most likely explanation for this is some kind of electrical problem, although we didn't find anything conclusive so far.

But then the prototype #2 boards arrived, also two weeks late.  Beside a new SRAM chip, the new boards also use a different voltage regulator.  So I build a new cart, fixed AVcc, and voila: it is working flawlessly, having tested it for 8+ hours!

Attached File  fg99p2.JPG   291.62KB   4 downloads

So strictly speaking we didn't solve the problem, but it solved itself.

Next, I'm going to design and send off the final board with the latest modifications to support the latest software updates.  Once those boards are done, I'll send some out for general testing.  But to speed things up, I'm also going to contact one or two testers for the current prototype board.

I cannot thank Eric enough for his generous help in analyzing the FinalGROM.  Without him, the FinalGROM wouldn't work today.  And our collaboration was a lot of fun as well!

#132 aftyde OFFLINE  

aftyde

Chopper Commander

• 146 posts

Posted Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:38 PM

Can't wait for the FinalGROM... :)  The FR99 has completely changed the way I use the TI...  Gone are the days when I burned lots of ROM's and suffered in hex editors trying to make cart dumps load on my P-GRAM+... ;)

In terms of this wifi enabled memory card...  I may break out the soldering iron and see if I can create a completely self contained cart.  If the wifi card is essentially a SMB style server - then it could participate in my network like any other windows share.  That beats the heck out of removing and inserting memory cards.

Which card are you using?  

#133 Tempest OFFLINE  

Tempest

Monochrome Martinet

• 25,666 posts

Posted Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 AM

Great! I can't wait.

#134 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 7,769 posts

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:26 PM

Wow... This is close....

#135 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 PM

pins & needles..

#136 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,444 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:37 PM

IF everything goes according to plan...  there will be one at Fest West to look at and run through it's paces 'up close and personal like'.  :)

#137 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,444 posts

Posted Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:07 AM

I would love to see a You Tube video of it's operation with your cartridge.  This idea has intrigued me for quite a while, but since there seems to be a serious lack of information out there of these things being used on anything other than cameras I've held back.  

I also have a question... apparently these have bi-directional capabilities right?  

#138 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Dragonstomper

• 578 posts
  • No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:46 AM

I would love to see a You Tube video of it's operation with your cartridge.  This idea has intrigued me for quite a while, but since there seems to be a serious lack of information out there of these things being used on anything other than cameras I've held back.  

I also have a question... apparently these have bi-directional capabilities right?  

I will try and film one tonight. As for bi-directional, I do not recall being able to pull files off of it. I mean, I suppose that is theoretically possible, but it depends on how the software s setup. They definitely work on more than cameras, they just need power to be seen (and access to wifi, of course).

#139 wyerd OFFLINE  

wyerd

Moonsweeper

• 370 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 AM

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux. I haven't attempted trying it out myself, it's on my ever expanding to-do list. I've attached the file here if anyone wants to give it a go.

Attached Files

Edited by wyerd, Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 AM.

#140 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,444 posts

Posted Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 PM

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux. I haven't attempted trying it out myself, it's on my ever expanding to-do list. I've attached the file here if anyone wants to give it a go.

Oh, that is freaking SLICK!  

#141 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,444 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 AM

The FR99 has completely changed the way I use the TI... 

I think it has for a lot of people... in many ways, some of which are:

1) For returning TI'ers it's enabled them to get back into it without spending hundreds of dollars for an expanded P-Box.

2) For those where speed is an issue, it simply loads everything FAST!

3) It allows for more space to be used for data, very useful for people with smaller formats disk drives.

4) For those without RS-232's it allows them to get new games onto "real iron".

#142 ralphb OFFLINE  

ralphb

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:14 PM

The guys over on the BBC Micro Facebook page are using the 16GB Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card for the same purpose with a modified autorun.sh file that creates a FTP server on the SD card as it's running Linux.

That's slick indeed, I didn't know this existed.

But I wonder how much power the Wifi consumes -- after all, everything is powered by the TI cartridge port.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users