Photo

Flashback 2 mod?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Urchin OFFLINE  

Urchin

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 PM

I'm considering purchasing an Atari Flashback 2, and I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to mod it for me to play original cartridges, as that is above my skill set. Please let me know how much you would charge for a mod, provided I pay for both original and return shipping. Many thanks in advance.

#2 Urchin OFFLINE  

Urchin

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:35 PM

If no one is able to do it, could someone at least assist me in finding someone who would do it for me.

#3 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 743 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:43 PM

May I ask why you want to do that at this point? You're better off getting a modded 2600 or 7800. They're relatively inexpensive and more compatible than a modded Flashback 2/2+.

#4 Urchin OFFLINE  

Urchin

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:17 PM

Can the original hardware actually be AV modded? I was told a modded Flashback 2 was the only way to play 2600 cartridges with AV output. Is it significantly more expensive to get one of these than to pay someone to mod a Flashback 2?

#5 BillLoguidice OFFLINE  

BillLoguidice

Dragonstomper

• 743 posts
  • Armchair Arcade

Posted Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 PM

Can the original hardware actually be AV modded? I was told a modded Flashback 2 was the only way to play 2600 cartridges with AV output. Is it significantly more expensive to get one of these than to pay someone to mod a Flashback 2?

You can get an Atari 2600 or 7800 AV modded for composite, S-VIDEO, RGB, or HDMI. The lower end options (you can buy them with it already installed) are probably around the same price as the Flashback 2/2+ and mod combo. Pre-modded 2600 or 7800 systems are available on eBay and from people on AtariAge. There's really no reason to mod a 2/2+, since you'll end up spending the money and still not having something as compatible as the real deal.

#6 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 593 posts

Posted Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 PM

I disagree in that there is no need to mod a Flackback 2.  Saying that is like saying there is no need to ever even by a Flashback to start with when instead you can just by a 2600 and then by all the games that would have been included in the Flashback.  To me it is completely logical, seeing as you get a great amount of games on the system, that you don't have to fool with changing carts to play, and then modding the console for carts is just a bonus on top of that, and it is only SLIGHTLY incompatible with some games.  Another bonus is that it is smaller.  And if you ask me the AV picture quality is much better than the AV modded units I've seen with bleeding colors and jailbars.  Are you still looking for one.  Here is a post of the mod I did on mine here http://atariage.com/...ed-flashback-2

Edited by SignGuy81, Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:52 PM.

#7 Bill Loguidice OFFLINE  

Bill Loguidice

Quadrunner

• 5,547 posts
  • Armchair Arcade Managing Director

Posted Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 AM

I disagree in that there is no need to mod a Flackback 2.  Saying that is like saying there is no need to ever even by a Flashback to start with when instead you can just by a 2600 and then by all the games that would have been included in the Flashback.  To me it is completely logical, seeing as you get a great amount of games on the system, that you don't have to fool with changing carts to play, and then modding the console for carts is just a bonus on top of that, and it is only SLIGHTLY incompatible with some games.  Another bonus is that it is smaller.  And if you ask me the AV picture quality is much better than the AV modded units I've seen with bleeding colors and jailbars.  Are you still looking for one.  Here is a post of the mod I did on mine here http://atariage.com/...ed-flashback-2

Maybe, but I'd argue that a modded 7800 with a flash cart is still the far more versatile option. If you want a small size, a modded 2600jr is pretty small. There's nothing inherently wrong with modding a Flashback 2 for fun, but why not have near 100% compatibility with the real deal when you're talking similar or greater costs for the less compatible option?

#8 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Dragonstomper

• 593 posts

Posted Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 PM

Maybe, but I'd argue that a modded 7800 with a flash cart is still the far more versatile option. If you want a small size, a modded 2600jr is pretty small. There's nothing inherently wrong with modding a Flashback 2 for fun, but why not have near 100% compatibility with the real deal when you're talking similar or greater costs for the less compatible option?

I see your point with the modded 7800 because that even gives you more options to play but from what I've looked at flashcarts seem to be expensive.  Harmony carts range from $60 to $80 and higher from what I seen but maybe cheaper for used.  Is there another cheaper option for flashcart, I've searched ebay and on google and couldn't find anything.  I'm working on 2 2600s now one I've already done but will probably go back and change some things if I find a cheap and easy solution for the jailbars.  If I can figure out how to remove the jailbars easily without getting an expensive mod kit(which would even cost more money) I would agree, those thin vertical lines on the screen annoy the heck out of me, and the flashback doesn't have them.  Just about every picture I've seen online of the picture with one that has had a composite mod exhibits those lines.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users