IGNORED

Bringing the 1027 printer back from the dead

electronizer

• 2 weeks later...

Very Impressive! It also hurts a bit... I've been working on creating a casting of the rubber print head. I had two 'good' print heads to

work with. During the first attempt, the mold casting material dissolved a good portion of the first rubber print head. So I put my backup in the

freezer as someone suggested. When I got it out to try another casting, I found that during the freezing the rubber print head cracked and

split in many places. Well, at least I got a nice degassing chamber out of this.

Irgendwer, how did you attach the rubber printhead to the print wheel and what hardness (shore value) did you use? Also will you be selling

these anytime soon? I want four!

Nicely done!

David Milsop

Edited by DavidMil

Hi David,

I followed your progress here and I was in doubt if I should continue with my work on this project because I wouldn't had liked to be second too - so I can imagine your feelings.

But since I promised a result 6 month ago I felt the urge to deliver...

Irgendwer, how did you attach the rubber printhead to the print wheel and what hardness (shore value) did you use? Also will you be selling

these anytime soon? I want four!

That's a very brave order, not knowing the price I call... ;)

* the rubber stripe is a very close, complete new reconstruction of the original rubber geometry and you just have to remove the original holder with the two screws (the "interrupting" black bar on the wheel in the vid), attach my replacement part (no glue!) and screw the holder back in place.

* Shore 65A

* like promised, I will participate the "Abbuc Hardware Contest" to try to compensate my spendings for the development (more than € 100,- for different prototypes plus four used 1027s to make at least one working out of these (don't believe sellers only the rubber is broken!))

* after the contest where all the production data is disclosed to members (AFAIK end of Oct.) I will do a joint order of these rubbers, expect a price about € 15,- each + P&P

...and thanks for your appreciation!

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 10

Awesome! I haven't heard that sound in a long time. My 1027 helped me write papers in high school. Teachers thought they were written on a typewriter. Dot matrix printed pages were not allowed. I have been following this thread for a while also and happy to see a success story.

I recently unboxed my 1027 after more than twenty years in storage and was disgusted to see the print head falling apart. The oil from that little bottle they provided must have sped the rotting process along. It's great to see that a new printhead is possible.

This leaves the problem of new ink rollers.

• Like 1

So you actually have the groves on the back of the rubber print head? That is much better than glue, and Stefan and I had agreed that shore 60 was about right

(we were close). Again, my hat is off to you, and seeing my old 1027's print again is ample compensation for any hurt!

Congratulations!

David

PS. I still what four when you are ready to ship!

DM

• Like 1