Working emulators for the Bally Astrocade

emulation astrocade emulators

11 replies to this topic

#1 Prosystemsearch OFFLINE  

Prosystemsearch

Dragonstomper

• 876 posts

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 PM

The only working one that I know of as of now is MESS. List others for any Platform/OS, be it Android, Mac, PSP, Or Linux.

Edited by Prosystemsearch, Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 PM.

#2 Prosystemsearch OFFLINE  

Prosystemsearch

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 876 posts

Posted Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15 AM

Hello? any ideas?

#3 Prosystemsearch OFFLINE  

Prosystemsearch

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 876 posts

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:57 PM

Alright, however long it may take to develop and code a working stand-alone Bally Astrocade emulator, it will be WORTH THE WAIT!! 

204.gif

#4 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,388 posts

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 PM

Alright, however long it may take to develop and code a working stand-alone Bally Astrocade emulator, it will be WORTH THE WAIT!! 

I'm curious, why do you feel there needs to be a stand-alone Astrocade emulator?  Have you used the emulator in MESS yet?

Adam

#5 Prosystemsearch OFFLINE  

Prosystemsearch

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 876 posts

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:12 PM

I'm curious, why do you feel there needs to be a stand-alone Astrocade emulator?  Have you used the emulator in MESS yet?

Adam

Well, I honestly think its a shame that only MESS has been shown to emulate the Astrocade hardware with success. Also, no I have not used MESS yet. I need to go through it and maybe also a tutorial.

#6 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,004 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:29 AM

Currently MESS is all that we need for Astrocade. I suggest you try it out and if it does not meet your needs or you find issues with it; then express your concerns and bug reports to the developers. There's a chance they'll listen.

There is no shame in having one single emulator cover a platform. It's covered! There are several emulators for each the ColecoVision and Atari 400/800, but yet only 1 of them is worth using. The others miss obvious features or are klutzy to work with.

#7 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,388 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:52 PM

Currently MESS is all that we need for Astrocade.

All of the functions of MESS are now built into MAME.  Plus, I don't think that MESS is updated anymore.  This means that all of the computers and game systems that were emulated as part of MESS are now built into MAME.

If you want to use the latest version of the Astrocade emulation, then you need to be using the MAME emulator.  Some updates to the Astrocade emulation in MAME have made it more compatible (for instance, now the 280 ZZZap/Dodgem cartridge works properly now).  If you're using MESS for Astrocade emulation, than I suggest that you upgrade to MAME.

Adam

#8 Prosystemsearch OFFLINE  

Prosystemsearch

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 876 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:26 PM

Adam=ballyalley's real name?

#9 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,004 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 PM

All of the functions of MESS are now built into MAME. 

Of course, MESS=MAME one and the same.

#10 ballyalley OFFLINE  

ballyalley

Stargunner

• 1,388 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:01 PM

Adam=ballyalley's real name?

Yup, Adam: that's me.  I started the Bally Alley website in 2000.  I am also a co-host of the Bally Alley Astrocast (along with Paul and Michael).  In fact, we'll be recording part of an episode tonight when we review the Blast Droids cartridge and a BASIC game called Haunted House.  Paul and I will also be reviewing two Arcadian newsletters as well as several letters that we sent to the Arcadian (but those will probably be recorded at a separate time).

Many people presume that the Astrocade is my favorite game machine, but it's not (the Atari 8-bit computer takes that spot).  However, the Astrocade is quite unusual (i.e. is it a computer or console?) and hardly anyone seems to remember it.  In the late 90s, I received lots of material that I could archive.  I figured that I could concentrate my archiving energies on all the much-better-known systems (i.e. Atari, Coleco, or Intellivision), places where I couldn't make a dent.  Or, I could archive for the Astrocade, and perhaps help dig it out of its forgotten place in the 70s.  I really don't think that more people now know about the Astrocade since I started BallyAlley.com, but surely if someone does hear about the system, then at least now they can find all the information that they want about it on my website.

Getting back to Astrocade emulation. This thread has, once again, made me ponder writing an article on how to get Astrocade emulation setup running under MAME for Windows.  It's not complicated, but some people don't like the bother of MAME, which (I presume) is why "Prosystemsearch" would prefer an Astrocade stand-alone emulator. 

Adam

#11 Major_Tom_coming_home OFFLINE  

Major_Tom_coming_home

Chopper Commander

• 143 posts

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:19 PM

Just wanted to say:

I never heard of the Astrocade until recently but it seems quite awesome. VERY powerful for it's time, great controllers, and in my opinion it's the best looking game console out there. If it wasn't so difficult and expensive to get a working console and games to go with it, I would get one in a heartbeat. That said, emulation is the only way I'll be able to play the system and resources such as ballyalley are much appreciated. Even though I'll probably never own quite a few obscure old video game consoles, it's nice to have a way to get a taste of what they are all about.

Yup, Adam: that's me.  I started the Bally Alley website in 2000.  I am also a co-host of the Bally Alley Astrocast (along with Paul and Michael).  In fact, we'll be recording part of an episode tonight when we review the Blast Droids cartridge and a BASIC game called Haunted House.  Paul and I will also be reviewing two Arcadian newsletters as well as several letters that we sent to the Arcadian (but those will probably be recorded at a separate time).

Many people presume that the Astrocade is my favorite game machine, but it's not (the Atari 8-bit computer takes that spot).  However, the Astrocade is quite unusual (i.e. is it a computer or console?) and hardly anyone seems to remember it.  In the late 90s, I received lots of material that I could archive.  I figured that I could concentrate my archiving energies on all the much-better-known systems (i.e. Atari, Coleco, or Intellivision), places where I couldn't make a dent.  Or, I could archive for the Astrocade, and perhaps help dig it out of its forgotten place in the 70s.  I really don't think that more people now know about the Astrocade since I started BallyAlley.com, but surely if someone does hear about the system, then at least now they can find all the information that they want about it on my website.

Getting back to Astrocade emulation. This thread has, once again, made me ponder writing an article on how to get Astrocade emulation setup running under MAME for Windows.  It's not complicated, but some people don't like the bother of MAME, which (I presume) is why "Prosystemsearch" would prefer an Astrocade stand-alone emulator. 

Adam

#12 Keatah ONLINE  

Keatah

Quadrunner

• 18,004 posts

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:23 PM

That said, emulation is the only way I'll be able to play the system and resources such as ballyalley are much appreciated.

Emulation of the Astrocade is pretty good. Especially the sound. So you're not missing much, unless "cartridges!".. In fact you'd be gaining good reliability and stability and convenience.

I too would like a stand alone emulator. But can't complain..

Edited by Keatah, Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:24 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: emulation, astrocade, emulators

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users