IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Might need an adapter. Possibly at both ends. :?

Agreed :) Basically a small edge card board with an IDC connector plugged into the motherboard, and a board on the opposite end with another IDC and cartridge connector for plugging in the cart. There are some Mini-ITX cases that have drivebays that could be re-purposed for a cartridge slot in this manner.

- Michael

Agreed :) Basically a small edge card board with an IDC connector plugged into the motherboard, and a board on the opposite end with another IDC and cartridge connector for plugging in the cart. There are some Mini-ITX cases that have drivebays that could be re-purposed for a cartridge slot in this manner.

- Michael

Yes, that's what I meant. Like one of Dropcheck's excellent 1200xl cart port expansion, only flexible.

Yes, that's what I meant. Like one of Dropcheck's excellent 1200xl cart port expansion, only flexible.

I suppose I could work up something. By necessity the case opening would have to be slightly more than the dimensions of the cart port on the Atari computers. Some method of bracing would be needed. A bracket or ability to screw the pcb to the case rails.... or case frame.

Using a 800XL like cart port cover attached to a pcb with a cart connector soldered on it. Then a ribbon cable connected to it of sufficient length to another pcb that adapted to the 1088XEL's port connector. I've done a similar thing awhile back for a user who wanted to put a 800XL in an old TRS-80 case.

Its possible, but is highly dependent on the case structure to work. A lot of cases would just not work for something like that. At least not without a lot of cutting. :(

• Like 2

I suppose I could work up something. By necessity the case opening would have to be slightly more than the dimensions of the cart port on the Atari computers. Some method of bracing would be needed. A bracket or ability to screw the pcb to the case rails.... or case frame.

Using a 800XL like cart port cover attached to a pcb with a cart connector soldered on it. Then a ribbon cable connected to it of sufficient length to another pcb that adapted to the 1088XEL's port connector. I've done a similar thing awhile back for a user who wanted to put a 800XL in an old TRS-80 case.

Its possible, but is highly dependent on the case structure to work. A lot of cases would just not work for something like that. At least not without a lot of cutting. :(

Thanks for the offer; I wasn't expecting that.

My aim was to do it myself, but wanted to know, if that would be feasible because of possible signal runtime and other problems.

But if that worked in a TRS-80 case, it should work with what I have in mind.

Thanks for the offer; I wasn't expecting that.

My aim was to do it myself, but wanted to know, if that would be feasible because of possible signal runtime and other problems.

But if that worked in a TRS-80 case, it should work with what I have in mind.

Depends on length of cable of course. What is the max cable length you are going to need?

I am pretty much down to installing resistors. I have a few components on the BOM which I cannot find on the PCB (C47-C50 0.047uF), RN9, RN10. I also need to do the solder side PCB repairs (from the cut traces). I am hoping to do a power up test before end of weekend. Apologies for the shite photos.

post-650-0-83457600-1494381714_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-24454700-1494381726_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Nice work! C47:C50 are the paddle caps that gets mounted on the bottom :)

Yogi

I think those RNs are only on the v1.1, pullups on the datalines and PIA B outs

Yes those extra resistor networks will be in the next rev, and likely not needed for this first version (the one pulling up the data lines might come into play later, but not needed for first boot-up).

Looking good Stephen.

- Michael

• Like 1

Quality of the photos matters not. It's like a miracle coming to life for the second time.

Actually six new babies are being born following in the foot steps of the one I have currently up and running. With all of them unfortunately having a few defects that need to be corrected with some minor surgery. But these boards as well as their owners will help pave the way for the perfection that will be V1.1, to be released later this Summer.

- Michael

• Like 7

Actually six new babies are being born following in the foot steps of the one I have currently up and running. With all of them unfortunately having a few defects that need to be corrected with some minor surgery. But these boards as well as their owners will help pave the way for the perfection that will be V1.1, to be released later this Summer.

I'm curious, do you plan on putting together an assembly guide at some point?

• Like 3

I'm curious, do you plan on putting together an assembly guide at some point?

That would be great to have, and I would love to do that, but as you can probably imagine it isn't even on my radar at this particular point in the development process. What I envision for a document of that kind looks to be a pretty involved project all by itself, and I would certainly​ be open to the possibility of collaboration to better bring it into reality.

- Michael

• Like 2

Working on Rear Bezel in Front Panel Express Designer Program...

uSoPApk.png

There will be two versions, one with DB9 connector holes for the Joystick Ports, and one without (some Mini-ITX cases already have these ports).

Here's a test fit made out of paper...

RmdKOG9.jpg

In reality it'll be made from 2.5 mm thick black anodized aluminum with a recessed 'stepped' edge that will be 1.25 mm thick. a thin bead of glue will be applied to the step to hold the bezel in place. Lettering is engraved into the aluminum and will appear silver-gray in color.

It won't be cheap, but I think it will be the best looking and strongest option. Of course the FPE files will be released for others to play around with, or they can be exported into other standard CAD formats via the free software (runs on Windows, MAC, or Linux). These files could then be used to create a 3D printable version. There is about 5 mm total thickness possible in the Realan case's I/O area which might make the 3D printed version strong enough.

- Michael

• Like 8

Even with a piece of paper, that looks insanely cool to see all those Atari-related ports on the back of a PC-style case.

The only downside was with the motherboard being a bit over 1mm from the inside back edge and also factoring in the thickness of the material, I had to make some of the holes a bit bigger than I liked to insure that the connector body diameter would fit. This was especially true for the USB connector, which may be tiny itself, but on some of the cords I use they actually have a pretty big body. I might play around with creating a cavity that meets up with a smaller hole.

- Michael

• Like 1

That would be great to have, and I would love to do that, but as you can probably imagine it isn't even on my radar at this particular point in the development process. What I envision for a document of that kind looks to be a pretty involved project all by itself, and I would certainly​ be open to the possibility of collaboration to better bring it into reality.

Yes, good documentation can be a big task. Maybe just something simple to start with, hitting the major points of the process in some kind of an outline form, with a list of musts and must nots. Then maybe something could be built from that later on. I suppose the beta testers may have something to say about the process and some pitfalls to avoid, etc.

I'm not sure if you were thinking PDF or web content. The NUXX used wiki style documentation, which looks pretty decent (I didn't build one myself though). So, once again, maybe you could pick up some pointers here on how to approach the task.

• Like 1

The only downside was with the motherboard being a bit over 1mm from the inside back edge and also factoring in the thickness of the material, I had to make some of the holes a bit bigger than I liked to insure that the connector body diameter would fit. This was especially true for the USB connector, which may be tiny itself, but on some of the cords I use they actually have a pretty big body. I might play around with creating a cavity that meets up with a smaller hole.

Yes, I noticed the SIO2PC was like that. The other connectors look fine with larger diameters since there's material that fills things out around those connectors.

Yes, good documentation can be a big task. Maybe just something simple to start with, hitting the major points of the process in some kind of an outline form, with a list of musts and must nots. Then maybe something could be built from that later on. I suppose the beta testers may have something to say about the process and some pitfalls to avoid, etc.

I'm not sure if you were thinking PDF or web content. The NUXX used wiki style documentation, which looks pretty decent (I didn't build one myself though). So, once again, maybe you could pick up some pointers here on how to approach the task.

I just checked it out and I like the wiki aspect. I'll have to dig in a bit more to get a better feel for what was done, but I could certainly see this working for the XEL docs.

Yes, I noticed the SIO2PC was like that. The other connectors look fine with larger diameters since there's material that fills things out around those connectors.

Ok upon further inspection I saw that there is a little over 2 mm of space between the micro-USB jack and the connector body after it's plugged in, so the cavity idea will work with the only caveat being that the inside of the cavity is bare unanodized aluminum, so it'll be a silver-gray color. Of course you could always use a black sharpie to make it black, but in either case I think it'll look better than having a lot of open space around the USB connector. So below you'll see the change to the micro-USB SIO2PC hole. I also added the model number of the system.

CYIw8q0.png

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 1

I just checked it out and I like the wiki aspect. I'll have to dig in a bit more to get a better feel for what was done, but I could certainly see this working for the XEL docs.

Ok upon further inspection I saw that there is a little over 2 mm of space between the micro-USB jack and the connector body after it's plugged in, so the cavity idea will work with the only caveat being that the inside of the cavity is bare unanodized aluminum, so it'll be a silver-gray color. Of course you could always use a black sharpie to make it black, but in either case I think it'll look better than having a lot of open space around the USB connector. So below you'll see the change to the micro-USB SIO2PC hole. I also added the model number of the system.

CYIw8q0.png

- Michael

Looks cool and definitely better than the open space.