IGNORED

1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

mytek

Maybe, with some of the proposed rework in SMD, some extra space can be bodged out to include both variants on-board, being user switchable - or something like was being bantered about / explored in this thread, may one day be implemented. icon_wink.gif

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269457-i-want-to-learn-antic-gtia/

please hold your horses..... ;)
  • Like 1

SMD although nice for automated assembly and size reduction, would not have fit this project which was aimed at DIY. Now I know some people will say it's easier to use SMD, but for many of us aging Atarians with poor eyesight that really wouldn't be an option ;) .

- Michael

The eyesight thing when getting older is a thing I fully recognise.....but luckily, modern day technology combined with Chinese craftsmanship offers solutions to that...I've ordered one of these......

http://s.aliexpress.com/mqyIJfEZ

even if you will not do SMD this will still be very nice to check your through-hole solder work........I know I wish I could have had one of these a few years ago....would have saved me checking arcade PCBs with a tiny microscope....and all this for 50 Euro shipped.....

post-25272-0-31852300-1508667964_thumb.png

Edited by Level42
  • Like 3

The eyesight thing when getting older is a thing I fully recognise.....but luckily, modern day technology combined with Chinese craftsmanship offers solutions to that...I've ordered one of these......

http://s.aliexpress.com/mqyIJfEZ

even if you will not do SMD this will still be very nice to check your through-hole solder work........I know I wish I could have had one of these a few years ago....would have saved me checking arcade PCBs with a tiny microscope....and all this for 50 Euro shipped.....

That might be a real alternative to this solution I purchased a couple of years ago when my eyesight began to get fuzzy. I've worn glasses all my life and those headlight magnifiers just weren't an option.

Realspace Clamp On Magnifier Task Lamp

Although I wish the screen were a little bigger, I guess I'm not seeing a whole lot more looking through the six inch diameter of the glass lens on the lamp. :)

• Like 1

Uhh, why not simply order at Aliexpress ? I paid only 50 euros shipped.....see the link I provided...

50 euros is about 55 USD

Why do people all run to Amazon ? In the end you still get this item shipped from China....and Amazon laughs....yes of course so does Aliexpress but it offers much better prices...

[EDIT] not trying to derail this thread....

[EDIT 2] whatever you do, don't get the one with the "windshield navigation system plastic stand". It won't allow room enough to work under it , is not straight to the subject and is not stable at all.

Edited by Level42

Uhh, why not simply order at Aliexpress ? I paid only 50 euros shipped.....see the link I provided...

50 euros is about 55 USD

Why do people all run to Amazon ? In the end you still get this item shipped from China....and Amazon laughs....yes of course so does Aliexpress but it offers much better prices...

[EDIT] not trying to derail this thread....

Sometimes it's the convenience factor, sometimes it's the faster delivery if the item is already in the states(3 days vs 2+ weeks), sometimes it's concern over the source. Amazon does have some degree of buyer's protection even if they don't stock it themselves.

I'm not saying it's the best necessarily. Just that it is an alternative source depending on your priorities. Just because it's cheaper, doesn't necessarily mean it's better. And vis versa. :)

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 1

Just my 2 cents... I order stuff all the time via AliExpress because they have excellent buyer protection features built-in and some really great deals. Never had problem yet, has anyone else?

BTW, that scope thing looks very cool, maybe gotta get one of those.

So now to drag this discussion back on topic, the question was asked "Is there a page or document that summarizes the features and specs of the 1088XEL."

Presently there is no such document, unless you consider this thread to be one, which in a very lengthy way it is. But to break it down, due to the U1MB being an integral part of the hardware, it can be any A8 system you want from an OS and built-in language point of view. But as far as the hardware design is concerned it is unique, and stands on it's own.

Features

Mini-ITX Form Factor
64k SRAM Base Memory
1 MB Extended Memory (reconfigurable)
4 16k OS Slots
4 8k Language Slots
4 8k Game or Additional Language Slots (w/XEGS OS)
SDX (DOS)
Battery Backed RTC
Stereo POKEY's with built-in U-Switch control
PS2 Keyboard(s) - will simultaneously support up to 2 with special Y cord
PS2 Mouse - ST Mouse Emulation directable to either Jport 1 or 2 or neither
Cart/ECI Ports (130XE compatible)
Two Standard A8 Compatible Joystick Ports (via ribbon cable adapter)
SIO2PC-USB + Standard SIO Ports
High Quality Composite/S-Video Output (UAV)
Both PAL and NTSC chip support built-in (requires changing Antic-GTIA-Crystal)
Video Over Scan Eliminator
Sophia/VBXE RGB Ready DIN-13 Connection wired for Stereo Audio
PC-like PSU Power Control via momentary switch
Dual PSU support (can be run from either wall adapter or mini-ATX PSU)
MPBI Port - NEW Type of Parallel Expansion - Currently Supports IDE44/Compact Flash HDD Board (3rd Party OPL Sound Board in Development)
And lots of built-in headers to allow easy connections for Internal SIO, PS2, Audio, Video, as well as 3 Accessory Power Connections
Fully Customized 1088XEL/XEL-CF Specific U1MB BIOS by FlashJazzCat

And this is Real Atari Iron based on original Atari VSLI Chip Set, so you get full hardware compatibility.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 4

This Design has been Superseded by this: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261147-1088xel-alternative-mother-board-project/page-45?do=findComment&comment=3874468

So now that I've gotten the bulk of the work done on the main boards, I've revisited the infamously ugly mouse selector switch and here is what I am thinking of...

Use one of these Tactile Push Button Switches.
TC-0108-X_5.jpg
Translate the button clicks into a sequential sequence that will route the mouse to either Joystick 1 -or- Joystick 2 -or- neither (when no mouse is desired). Only requiring 4 wires to go from this board over to the 1088XEL's Mouse Select Header, with the other signals allowing In-Circuit Programming of the PIC chip (there will be a JOY2PIC Flashing ATR created to make this easy to do from your A8). And so that the mouse selection is retained, I am using the on-board EEPROM of the PIC chip to save the count and then restore it the next time the system is powered up.

post-42561-0-28065600-1508723068_thumb.png

Preliminary PCB design which will line up with the existing holes in the Realan H80 enclosure.

post-42561-0-15734500-1508722930.png

And a simulation of the embedded PIC processor code. Note each time I stop the simulation and restart, it mimics power-down and power-up conditions and is being used to to demonstrate that the mouse select state is retained and restored. This simulation is using actual source code, so in essence my code design is complete. This whole thing including the schematic and PCB layout was done in an afternoon, but will likely still require a few tweaks to bring fully into reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIA_G-lgf_s

This is going to be cheap since the parts are very inexpensive and the size of the board is very small. And although I am designing it with the Realan case in mind, it'll work for other cases by simply drilling a few holes on a common center.

Of course I could have also executed this idea directly into the mouse chip's code, thereby changing from a toggle switch over to the push button and not requiring an independent processor. But since a PCB would still be the preferred way to go in order to mount the LED's and the switch, adding a small 8-pin chip to that same board for less than $1 was a no brainier. This way the original functionality remains intact, which also supports the option of dispensing with the switch and LED's and simply presetting the mouse port selection with a jumper block say on Joystick port 2 for use with GOS.

- Michael

• Like 5

XEL Mouse Port Select Board Refinements (New Design: Updated 11/16/2017)

After analyzing the design I discovered an error on the ICSP lines. And then when I took another look at the Realan case situation, and how the board needed to mount where the side entry USB connector had previously been, the more I didn't like the design. So having to fix the board layout anyway because of the discovered ICSP error, I decided to take a new approach. And here is what that looks like.

post-42561-0-50147200-1510726199_thumb.png
PIC12F629 datasheet

Download PDF Schematic: MouseSelect_schema.pdf

The LED and the push button switch get mounted on the backside of the board, which would be the side facing the panel.

post-42561-0-18610700-1510900018.png

Dimensional Data: The 0.12" (3.1 mm) diameter holes on each end, line up with the existing USB mounting screw holes in the Realan case, and the Bi-Color Red/Green LED and push button switch's plunger will fit through the USB rectangular cutout (small stand-offs or washers will be used to space the board).

post-42561-0-49329600-1510725975.png

Download Scale Drawing: MouseSelect_dimensions.pdf

I did a price check at OSHpark and the cost for 3 bare boards to your door = $5.45 ($1.82 each). Note: Three boards is the minimum quantity that can be ordered from OSHpark.

- Michael

• Like 4

Updated - For those DIYers here is a DigiKey Cart for everything that can be obtained from them per Michael's BOM. If you decided to use it please verify item number and quantity for accuracy ;). Once at the site there will be some items that will be offered at a better price if a larger quantity is ordered just hit submit to continue to cart.

The DigiKey Cart for 1088 XEL Rev 1.1 - Updated 10-23-17 - Added the alternative caps (Digi-Key 1109PHCT-ND) for C11, C12, C14, C15, C16, C17 for placement under the Pokey chip at U5, and reduced the quantity by 6 for 399-9870-1-ND. Also, added A31715-ND (CONN CARDEDGE FEMALE 30POS 0.100).

Also, there has been several items on "Back-order" and may not be available for several weeks to a month or two. To be consistent with the circuit design pass any component substitutes by Michael to be safe before ordering. :grin:

*Note: This is not everything that is required to complete the build only the Digi-Key sourced components. Please refer to the official updated released BOM from Michael dated 10-19-2017 for details!!!

Mike

• Like 8

Updated - For those DIYers here is a DigiKey Cart for everything that can be obtained from them per Michael's BOM. If you decided to use it please verify item number and quantity for accuracy ;). Once at the site there will be some items that will be offered at a better price if a larger quantity is ordered just hit submit to continue to cart.

The DigiKey Cart for 1088 XEL Rev 1.1 - Updated 10-23-17 - Added the alternative caps (Digi-Key 1109PHCT-ND) for C11, C12, C14, C15, C16, C17 for placement under the Pokey chip at U5, and reduced the quantity by 6 for 399-9870-1-ND. Also, added A31715-ND (CONN CARDEDGE FEMALE 30POS 0.100).

*Note: This is not everything that is required to complete the build only the Digi-Key sourced components. Please refer to the official updated released BOM from Michael dated 10-19-2017 for details!!!

Mike

Wow thanks a bunch for doing this. It'll make ordering so much easier for the DIY person.

- Michael :)

• Like 2

Few items are currently unavailable. Do they can be replaced by those:

http://www.digikey.com/short/qt8n9n

I would also add JOY2PIC parts as I think any DIYer need some way to program the PIC chips.

I just checked your link, and all of those parts are now available (must have just received a shipment to replenish their stock).

I would create an independent cart for the JOY2PIC because not everyone will necessarily need that (might already have one or some other form of programming the chips such as a PICkit).

- Michael

My link contain a cart with replacement parts for the out of stock parts from original BOM. I just want to make sure that they will work. I have two 4053 chips, are they the same?

So sorry I didn't check better before replying to your first post.

You'll want to substitute the CD74HC4053 for the specified HCT part in the BOM. Normally this would not be an issue going with the CD4053 instead since most of the switching is just dealing with audio signals, but one of it's switches is being used at video frequencies and there could be a speed problem. The other parts you specified all look good, in fact the alternate D-sub15 SIO connector is a pretty good deal cheaper than what I spec'ed, so I'll probably switch over to that one in the BOM.

Thanks for posting the alternate parts cart :)

- Michael

New Design: Updated 10/25/2017

Here's a look at hooking up the Mouse Port Select board to the 1088XEL.

post-42561-0-22567400-1508988800.png

Test PCB's are on their way. So hopefully in about a week I should have this design verified, and will then post the production gerber files and the PIC chip firmware. And even though this simplified connection diagram shows the wires going directly to the header pin holes, in reality it'll be connected via a 6-position Dupont crimp terminal housing connector on the Mouse Port Select board, and a 7-position crimp terminal housing connector on the 1088XEL side of things. I could get away with less positions, but that would likely be prone to human error when plugging it in.

The header also provides the signals for In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP), so flashing the embedded PIC chip can be done with either a standard programmer that supports this chip (most do), or via the JOY2PIC A8 programming adapter and a flashing ATR.

post-42561-0-89194300-1508988655_thumb.png

post-42561-0-18107600-1508989596.jpg

eBay: Dupont 6P Terminal Housing

post-42561-0-13180900-1508908280.jpg

eBay: Dupont 7P Terminal Housing

eBay: Crimp Terminals

eBay: Crimp Tool

- Michael

• Like 6

New LED Status Board (for the Realan case custom top panel).

post-42561-0-48994700-1508996589_thumb.png

This board is also getting fabbed, and will ship with the Mouse Port Selection test boards.

It's designed to fit underneath this panel...

tZHslnk.jpg

The problem with the first prototype was that I was trying to save two pins on the overall size of the header, and ended up shooting myself in the foot. I had created a common on two sets of LEDs, one set worked whereas the other was messed up because I overlooked the fact that the switching action was inverted on one of the LED's in that pair. Anyway long story short this one has each LED individually routed to it's own pair of header pins, no common connections this time around.

You'll need this to connect on the Status Board side.

post-42561-0-94879200-1508909052.jpg

eBay: Dupont 10P Terminal Housing

And several of these to connect to the 1088XEL's LED headers.

post-42561-0-62615000-1508909473.jpg

eBay: Dupont 2P Terminal Housing

And the terminals plus the crimping tool I referenced on the previous post.

Board Mounting

- Michael

• Like 5

I just noticed that the XEL only has two 9-pin D-connectors. Given that, will it support playing 4-stick games like MULE? And if so, how?

I'm sure Michael will give the definitive answer but no, it won't. PIA Port B (which controls I/O from joystick ports 3 and 4) is necessary to control extended RAM access and some other OS stuff; that's why the 1200XL and all subsequent XL and XE models have only 2 ports.

• Like 4