Alernative Motherboard Redesign New Advanced Atari 8-bit

1210 replies to this topic

#1201 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,253 posts

Posted Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:02 PM

Wow!  How did you do the mounting hole inserts?  Looks like stainless steel.  :thumbsup:

Yep it does look like that, but no that's just a plated through hole on the PCB  :) .

#1202 AMenard ONLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:28 AM

Is it too late to get one? Possibly an assembled one without case?

#1203 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,415 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:33 AM

Is it too late to get one? Possibly an assembled one without case?

See the first post in the linked thread below, then contact MacRorie. He's gathering boards, parts, chips, etc. :)

http://atariage.com/...nterest-thread/

#1204 AMenard ONLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 199 posts

Posted Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:47 AM

See the first post in the linked thread below, then contact MacRorie. He's gathering boards, parts, chips, etc. :)

http://atariage.com/...nterest-thread/

Thanks!

#1205 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,253 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 11:34 AM

New and updated files, plus new order info added to: http://ataribits.wee...om/1088xel.html

• TK-II Firmware now at version 2.1
    • Now features universal support for all systems 400/800, XL/XE/XEGS/XEL (same version fits all)
    • Better handling of repeated same key presses
    • Sustained reset following power-up reduced, with held key recognition taken over by new U1MB BIOS
    • Includes U1MB specific function keys for CF Reset (F9), Launch Loader (F11), Launch Setup (F12)
  • Mouse Port Select and XEL Status Panel board file downloads now available, as well as OSH Park BUY buttons for the bare PCB's

I'm also hoping to have the new Realan H60 custom panels available for download by the end of the year.

Edit: There's a considerable amount of information being conveyed, and although I've tried to keep it organized, it's really an eye full to take in.

- Michael

#1206 marty OFFLINE  

marty

Space Invader

• 17 posts

Posted Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 PM

Hey, Michael.  I just wanted to lay down a quick post to thank you for incredible work on this project.  

I've ordered a finished XEL from MacRorie and can't wait to enjoy the heck out of it.  It's amazing to me that you have the skill to create the XEL and even more awesome that you were cool enough to share your work so openly with everyone.  In the short term, what you have created will clearly make a lot of people very happy.  And long term, there's a good chance that you have vastly extended the life of this platform that we all love. 

Many thanks to you, Michael.

#1207 seastalker OFFLINE  

seastalker

Star Raider

• 59 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:58 AM

Well said- I also agree that having a new board in 2017 for the Atari line is amazing! HUGE thanks to Michael for this. Of course I don't expect anyone to be obligated to create one, but thought I'd check in to see if there are any active projects developing for converting the board to fit an original case? Just my own wish to have this fantastic new tech usable with my 800xl keyboard.  In a pinch, I suppose a Keyrah device to make my case a USB plug in for the XEL would be pretty close.

#1208 COBRAIP OFFLINE  

COBRAIP

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:12 AM

Great work guys, Didn't realize that so many were involved until I had read the whole Topic but I don't see where you mentioned you were going to use the dual color switch.  It would be cool to use but you have already finished the project and I don't see a space or use for the switch.  would have been cool for an on/off switch or something like that though.   Just a thought.  I may jump in an get one before they are all gone.  Thanks again for the effort.

#1209 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,253 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 PM

Great work guys, Didn't realize that so many were involved until I had read the whole Topic but I don't see where you mentioned you were going to use the dual color switch.  It would be cool to use but you have already finished the project and I don't see a space or use for the switch.  would have been cool for an on/off switch or something like that though.   Just a thought.  I may jump in an get one before they are all gone.  Thanks again for the effort.

"dual color switch"  :?

I don't recall ever discussing something like this, but it is a long thread, and my memory isn't the best. Can you please elaborate?

- Michael  :)

#1210 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 2,855 posts

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:27 PM

It was something about a dual colored led if I recall correctly,

twin leads yields two colors three leads yields 3 colors.

It wasn't about changing color modes on the Atari's output or anything like that as I recall

It was probably when you were hashing out the mouse/joystick/ ps2 stuff

*edit* maybe this

http://atariage.com/...ject/?p=3894497

*edit* and here http://atariage.com/...ject/?p=3885850

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 PM.

#1211 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,253 posts

Posted Yesterday, 1:26 AM

It was something about a dual colored led if I recall correctly,
twin leads yields two colors three leads yields 3 colors.
It wasn't about changing color modes on the Atari's output or anything like that as I recall
It was probably when you were hashing out the mouse/joystick/ ps2 stuff

*edit* maybe this
http://atariage.com/...ject/?p=3894497
*edit* and here http://atariage.com/...ject/?p=3885850

Aw yes that might certainly be the dual color thing that was being referred to. And that did become a reality after going through a couple of revs. Specifically it was aimed at providing an alternative to a toggle switch to select which joystick port was assigned to the PS/2 to ST mouse chip's output. It can be used for either the Realan H60 or H80 case, repurposing the unused USB port that those cases have on the right side. That board is available through my website on the 1088XEL page (link below).

- Michael

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alernative, Motherboard, Redesign, New, Advanced, Atari 8-bit

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users