1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project

Alernative Motherboard Redesign New Advanced Atari 8-bit

1394 replies to this topic

#1376 Sleepy OFFLINE  

Sleepy

Moonsweeper

• 365 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2019 3:04 PM

C13 & R53 go on the underside of the board at the RGB out (DIN13) connector. If you plan to hook up an Atari ST monitor that is NOT a JVC model, you should install the mod. IN general, if you plan on putting anything on that port it is always better than not. If you are never going to use it, I suppose you could skip it.

Found them on page 6 of the XEL-shematics below the RGB/YPbPR-connector. :-)

Sleepy

#1377 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• 804 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 AM

Hi all,

just started to collect all needed infos, parts and order PCBs for make my 1088XEL - and was surprised, that my GALEP-5 universal programmer doesn´t support the PIC 12F1571 (used for V-GATE).

After look at the typical chinese programmer for something between 40-70 Euros I saw, that all these ones also didn´t support this special PIC.

How you are program this PIC? I didn´t order a Joy2PIC-Stik, because normally my Galep-device can all, so it´s nice to use the XL itself, but easier with the universal programmer.

Any hint welcome.

Jurgen

#1378 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,416 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:22 AM

Hi Jurgen,

The Joy2PIC-STIK PCBs go for $15.65 (w/FREE Int Shipping) for three boards from OshPark, and most parts that it requires are pretty generic, meaning pretty much any NPN and PNP transistors will work. The only odd part to get is the 18-pin ZIF socket (TEXTOOL/3M 218-3345) which are about $3.50 a piece on eBay (you might need to source this elsewhere being outside the states).

joy2pic-stik-assy_2_orig.png

This programmer by far has got to be the simplest solution for flashing the PICs that are used in the 1088XEL. The ATR flashing files can normally be accessed via an SIO2PC and then use whatever 8-bit Atari you have laying around to auto boot them. Hitting the start button will program a given PIC chip. Doesn't get much easier then that  :grin:  . The nice thing about this approach, is that no chip programming software or driver updates are ever required. It just works right out of the box.

SplashScreen.png

Since you'll have a couple of boards, you can always offset the cash out of your pocket by selling the extra ones already assembled  :) .

#1379 tf_hh OFFLINE  

tf_hh

Dragonstomper

• 804 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 AM

Hi Michael,

Hi Jurgen,

The Joy2PIC-STIK PCBs go for $15.65 (w/FREE Int Shipping) for three boards from OshPark, and most parts that it requires are pretty generic, meaning pretty much any NPN and PNP transistors will work. The only odd part to get is the 18-pin ZIF socket (TEXTOOL/3M 218-3345) which are about $3.50 a piece on eBay (you might need to source this elsewhere being outside the states).

This programmer by far has got to be the simplest solution for flashing the PICs that are used in the 1088XEL. The ATR flashing files can normally be accessed via an SIO2PC and then use whatever 8-bit Atari you have laying around to auto boot them. Hitting the start button will program a given PIC chip. Doesn't get much easier then that  :grin:  . The nice thing about this approach, is that no chip programming software or driver updates are ever required. It just works right out of the box.

Since you'll have a couple of boards, you can always offset the cash out of your pocket by selling the extra ones already assembled  :) .

I have no problem with using the nice Joy2PIC-Stik, but I´m wondering what´s so special with this one (12F1571). My GALEP-5 device supports over 500 different Microchip PIC devices, but none of 12F15xx. And also the well-known chinese programmers like TL866 etc. supports nearly all Microchip PICs, but also not this one... strange thing.

I´ve ordered some of them now at OSH-Park. 1st I was planning to build it using a development breadbord, but... costs more time.

Thanks for info!

#1380 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:26 PM

That's what XEL-builder and forum member Firedawg did - he made a few and sold them for essentially cost just to recoup and help out other builders. Mine's sitting in a drawer just in case I need to reprogram the chips in my 1088XEL someday, or if I need to program chips for some other fun 8-bit project.

#1381 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,416 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 PM

The 12F1571 is a newer chip which a lot of the older programmers (and their software) don't as yet support. As an example, I'm still using a clone of the Microchip PICkit2 programmer, which I had to search high and low to find a device file for in order to be able to flash it. Luckily there was a DIY guy that had created and uploaded device files for many of the newer PICs that were compatible with my older PICkit2. I also have a PICkit3, but it's garbage on my Linux box.

The 12F1571 (and it's brother 12F1572) are very powerful for their size (8-pin package). What I needed the most for this project was it's ability to accept and external clock, and then quadruple it with a built-in 4x PLL. This allowed me to be synced with the Atari's video timing by deriving the clock from GTIA's OSC pin-28, and then by multiplying that for the PICs clock, I was able to execute instructions at a rate that would allow for precisely enabling or disabling video at the required time period. But even with the 14+Mhz clock, I was forced to program the PIC in machine language to keep up.

#1382 Stephen OFFLINE  

Stephen

Quadrunner

• 7,649 posts
  • A8 Gear Head

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 PM

Regarding the Joy-2-Pic.  It's cool that the machine is programming his own chips :)

#1383 ivop ONLINE  

ivop

Dragonstomper

• 923 posts

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 PM

I also have a PICkit3, but it's garbage on my Linux box.

Could you elaborate on that? I was planning to use exactly that combination :)

#1384 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 3,416 posts

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:10 PM

The PICkit3 using the latest linux versions of the MPLAB and standalone programmer applications both fail repeatably to maintain connectivity via USB. And the only way that I could recover communications was by powering down the system, and powering it back up. Did this to me on multiple computers and with different derivatives of Ubuntu. So I gave up and bought a couple of PICkit2s and have never had a problem. However I did need to update the device files from a 3rd party source in order to be able to program some of the newer PICs.

#1385 gs80065xe OFFLINE  

gs80065xe

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:13 AM

This is a very cool project. Im sure somewhere in this thread this has been asked. But I havent found it yet. Can this be built as a stock 8bit Atari. Im thinking because of the PS2 keyboard, the computer requires the Ultimate1MB. Is that true?

#1386 orpheuswaking OFFLINE  

orpheuswaking

Quadrunner

• 5,833 posts
  • 1088XLD in progress

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 AM

The ultimate 1mb is a required part. It does quite a bit of the heavy lifting and is extremely flexible with the custom bios.

That said you can set the u1mb to stock mode and it will for all intents and purposes be just like a 800xl

#1387 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:52 AM

This is a very cool project. Im sure somewhere in this thread this has been asked. But I havent found it yet. Can this be built as a stock 8bit Atari. Im thinking because of the PS2 keyboard, the computer requires the Ultimate1MB. Is that true?

The PS2 keyboard interfaces to the rest of the system via a PIC microcontroller, which then connects to the POKEY keyboard interface lines. From the perspective of the rest of the machine, the keyboard looks like a standard Atari keyboard.

#1388 marty OFFLINE  

marty

Space Invader

• 30 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:05 PM

The XEL1088 continues to impress.  Daily.  

Just in case anyone needs to know, I did find a rare game that I can't seem to run on it recently: Race in Space, an Analog type-in game (http://www.atarimani...space_4255.html).

Any suggestions as to how to get it to run?

#1389 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Stargunner

• 1,046 posts
  • No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:17 PM

Just in case anyone needs to know, I did find a rare game that I can't seem to run on it recently: Race in Space, an Analog type-in game (http://www.atarimani...space_4255.html).

Have you tried 800 OS?  It looks like it might not be XL/XE compatible.  I would try setting the OS to the 400/800 OS **OR** try a translator of some sort (Atari Translator or something similar).

#1390 marty OFFLINE  

marty

Space Invader

• 30 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:19 PM

Have you tried 800 OS?  It looks like it might not be XL/XE compatible.  I would try setting the OS to the 400/800 OS **OR** try a translator of some sort (Atari Translator or something similar).

Is the 400/800 option relatively new to U1MB?  

#1391 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 14,597 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:22 PM

It's the 'OldRunner' OS and has always been usable with U1MB.

#1392 Bikerbob OFFLINE  

Bikerbob

Dragonstomper

• 714 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:25 PM

I did not get my Atari chips ordered from Best.. Hope they still have lots. But I am starting this project very soon.

Also need to get my I5 pc in an 800xl project finsihed. So much fun stuff to do!!

James

#1393 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:27 PM

What options are you using? The Atarimania file is a cassette image. I just tried it in Altirra which is configured to mirror my 1088XEL. It's also a BASIC file. So, using Atari BASIC version C, XL OS, PBI turned off, SDX turned off, boot while holding down START. At the cassette load tone, press RETURN on the XEL. The image will take about 2 minutes to load. 

Capture.JPG

EDIT: and on real hardware. I also realized that it's a pure-ML title, so boot the XEL with START + OPTION to suppress BASIC. It'll take about 1:50 or so unless you have a tuboloader option going in your peripheral emulator. I used the stock values on RespeQt.

IMG_1296.JPG

Edited by DrVenkman, Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:44 PM.

#1394 MacRorie OFFLINE  

MacRorie

Stargunner

• 1,046 posts
  • No matter where you go, there you are.

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 4:35 PM

What options are you using? The Atarimania file is a cassette image. I just tried it in Altirra which is configured to mirror my 1088XEL. It's also a BASIC file. So, using Atari BASIC version C, XL OS, PBI turned off, SDX turned off, boot while holding down START. At the cassette load tone, press RETURN on the XEL. The image will take about 2 minutes to load. 

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Didn't even think to look to see if it was a cassette file.  Good call there!

#1395 DrVenkman OFFLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 4,081 posts

Posted Fri Apr 5, 2019 5:28 PM

Heh. Turns out Mr. Bachand's game is *ALSO* available as a somewhat updated version (Copyright 1984 vs. 1981 from the original) you can boot straight from the SDX command line, as it is a .COM file.  :D

http://www.atarimani...space_6028.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alernative, Motherboard, Redesign, New, Advanced, Atari 8-bit

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users