After failing miserably the first 4 dozen times at really making Rb+ + VJ do anything but crash, I've nearly just tossed it in the air. Then talked to JJ about it and we were kind of going at it at the same time. He had success, I did not so much, partially I guess because I don't really use VJ as much as I do PT. (more on that in a second) Plus, even though XnView has been said to successfully convert graphics to something usable, I've still had no luck. (until later when I managed to alter something on the Chessboard in GIMP and it kept the coloring profiles and just overwrite the original graphic file, which leads me to my next issue...)
"If F was my middle name, it would be the chorus of the day!"
Building and bypassing data... I learned very quickly that just because you 'build' something with a graphic that has been replaced with the same name, it doesn't always COMPLETELY rebuild the game or project. I'm not sure why that's the case (is it supposed to make it faster?) it just seems silly that each and every single time you build that it's not going to pull all the data/assets 100%. The graphic images may have the same name but guaranteed are newer/different. Never the less... if you change the asset name and graphic file to something generic, it'll usually go through.... if it's meant to be.
The "HEY IDIOT!" Checklist.
If you want your projects to run correctly, make sure you build the same thing 3 times in a row. After the first 3 crashes, something magically happens in a different time dimension and the 4th time is a charm. I don't understand the inconsistencies with why VJ will not load the build the first 3 times in a row with zero changed between each (I just decided and also quickly learned it's not me but it's the emulator) and then magically work the 4th. What a bitch. Other people may not be nearly as persistent as me and thinking that by hitting the smash build button 12 times, something will eventually work but I'm that idiot - looks like this is the one time I was on to something.
The "YOU'RE STILL AN IDIOT!" Checklist.
If something doesn't work right after the 5th time, try disabling the Jaguar's BIOS. Not sure why it would matter but it makes a world of difference - in multiple areas. 1 it'll work and 2, in some projects, the screens will look different. I'm new to this and I don't know why this happens just know that this is added to the checklist of things I should check should it not work the first 5 times. Maybe it's always supposed to be disabled, who knows. I've read the tutorials but maybe I missed that bit of info and like many other things, don't stick unless I'm using it like with anything in life.
"I told you I wasn't a programmer!"
I'm not and while this is a step in the right direction, I can't help but feel a huge disconnect in really trying to get something up and going for the absolute beginner "Hey guys, that's me! Yo, over here!" Why when I print text on the StarField it's mirrored? I have no idea, it's probably not something I should be doing anyways but it's something I should be able to do. Unless I write it from scratch completely myself (which isn't going to happen, I can barely get text to print on the screen without hopping through other code in hopes that something will take, I can only assume it's how the screen is setup to create the starfield like that of the left or right side of the screen but without caring to know or understand why my text is fine on the right side and the rest is reversed on the left side, I'm moving on because my patience has worn thin...
Then I ran across this gem.... what I wanted without all the extras so I just disabled most of the extras. I would love to add a nice bassy tune but haven't gotten that far yet at this point but that's possibly the plan, if I can get it to actually work. Also as far as I can tell, the colour plus whatever number does shit, at least for text. How do I change that again? It's always yellow, or if I enable Jaguar BIOS, white. Leaves my head scratched saying WTF more times than I normally say, which is a lot...
I moved onto the pack project and thought there was hope in placing a graphic in place of the image.bmp like I did with the chessboard background, but no luck with that because it crashes, probably because of some graphic profile or setting in .s file because it's a different image even though I used the same one as a template. Picky AF!
So back to Chessboard and spidermen and seeing there's straight up an MP3 in the directory. "Maybe it's true! Maybe it really will convert oodles shit of audio to whatever the Jaguar can understand to playback my garbage audio files... " so then I do it. It works. I don't feel accomplished though, just pissed I've spent 2 days trying to overcome ignorance and my lack of understanding why everything seems broken. In all fairness a lot of it is because I'm doing idiotic things but I can't be the only one. Anyways, SpiderMan dancing to DubStep. That's something bizarre and I got it working.
I've got questions though... believe me.
Edited by Clint Thompson, Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 AM.