IGNORED

NeoGeo Pocket Colour Flash Cartridge

SainT

Saint,

Any chance of getting the cart with the label separate, and a copy of the stl to try and print my own shell? Still would want your shell just in case my printer didn't do any better.

thanks,

Charles

Yep, sure, I'll make the model available so you can print your own if you like. If you get it printed using SLA it will give a better finish.

• Like 1

I'd actually considered asking that too but figured it early. If I could find a dirt cheap sacrificial SNK shell I'd rather carve out a spot for the micro SD card and apply the sticker to that. I know it sounds picky but I like things uniform.

It doesn't fit a standard shell.

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray, I'm shipping out the first 3 beta carts for testing tomorrow! Its been really solid for me, so hopefully the testers can confirm it's all good, and I can get the first batch of 100 into production. :D

I do have another beta cart, but there's some dodgy connection somewhere so it's not working fully. If I can get that working there will be another going out for test...

Quite happy for you lovely testing people to post here if you wish with whatever feedback you like -- I've been very open with development and progress so far, and I intend to keep it that way. :)

• Like 7

Yeah, CD consoles will be after the Jag I think. I quite like the idea of that... :)

Maybe this is too far away to think about just yet, but would you be wanting to make a device that would replace the disc drive (such as the GDemu or Rhea) or something that could be added onto the system that still allows the original discs to be used (such as the PSIO)?

Maybe this is too far away to think about just yet, but would you be wanting to make a device that would replace the disc drive (such as the GDemu or Rhea) or something that could be added onto the system that still allows the original discs to be used (such as the PSIO)?

One or the other, yes. :)

Depends on how easy it is to implement, I will have no idea until I look.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, Sceptre_JLRB said:

Pretty nice progress! Looking forward to having it on my Neo-Geo Pocket Color! :-)

SainT, for future projects, what about an SD-based flashcart for WonderSwan/Color and for Virtual Boy?

Well, those machines are covered already to a reasonable degree --

Virtual Boy

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardware/index.php?type=flashcarts&v=fb

WonderSwan

http://www.flashmasta.com/product/ws-flash-masta-usb-cartridge-for-wonderswan/

Although I realise these aren't memory card based solutions.

I have a couple of other things in mind after the Jag, so we'll see where it goes from there. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

Whoa. I didn't realize Flash Masta NGP carts were in stock or at that price, nor did I know they now use USB transer instead of that stupid dock thing.

I want their Wonderswan cart but it's never in stock.

I will probably sell my Flash Masta when Saint's NGPC flash cart is ready, but not until I have something in hand. I'm not sure what I would sell it for, but it will definitely be less than a new one.

Well, those machines are covered already to a reasonable degree --

Virtual Boy

http://www.planetvb.com/modules/hardware/index.php?type=flashcarts&v=fb

WonderSwan

http://www.flashmasta.com/product/ws-flash-masta-usb-cartridge-for-wonderswan/

Although I realise these aren't SD solutions.

I have a couple of other things in mind after the Jag, so we'll see where it goes from there. :)

Arguably so was the NGPC, but I'm certainly happy you chose to work on an SD based cart. I'd love to see an SD based VB cart some day, but I realize it's probably way down the list on potential projects.

Whoa. I didn't realize Flash Masta NGP carts were in stock or at that price, nor did I know they now use USB transer instead of that stupid dock thing.

The USB one is more convenient, but having the linker is nice for those of us who want to back up from our original carts. It also lets you copy saves back to your original cart which I've had pretty good experience with. I have one of both and while the newer model is easier day-to-day, I'm glad to have the original linker as an option still. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic for all the old school flash carts from back in the day ;) I still have a Bung flash cart for NGP that uses a parallel linker which I can't even use anymore. Fortunately, Flavor's USB linker works with it :)

On 4/26/2017 at 2:37 AM, StopDrop&Retro said:

I'll be sending you over the cart when I've got some to hand (it'll be a few weeks). ;) I've enjoyed watching your videos a lot recently -- it's not often people make me laugh out loud while watching YouTube, but you've managed a few times. The highlight for me was the autoblow 2 randomly appearing in the robot crowdfunding video... :)

Edited by SainT

On 4/26/2017 at 2:47 AM, Mattroid said:

Arguably so was the NGPC, but I'm certainly happy you chose to work on an SD based cart. I'd love to see an SD based VB cart some day, but I realize it's probably way down the list on potential projects.

The USB one is more convenient, but having the linker is nice for those of us who want to back up from our original carts. It also lets you copy saves back to your original cart which I've had pretty good experience with. I have one of both and while the newer model is easier day-to-day, I'm glad to have the original linker as an option still. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic for all the old school flash carts from back in the day ;) I still have a Bung flash cart for NGP that uses a parallel linker which I can't even use anymore. Fortunately, Flavor's USB linker works with it :)

Yeah, this is true! It looks like the memory card support in the WonderSwan cart is just software support away, though, so I'm hoping Ed sorts that out. The Virtual Boy however is sooo niche I'm not sure there's enough of a market to make doing a cart viable. There's a surprising amount of work in getting the software written on the device itself for multi-game selection and memory card access rather than doing something like the USB programmer.

Edited by SainT

:grin:

SainT, I think your SD solutions both for WS and VB would be a great deal. The situation is the same as for the NGP: There exist flashcarts, but no SD-based, hence new modern, SD-based ones are welcome and expected by most users.

Anyway, thank you very much for your incredibly awesome work, as well as for listening to the community! :)

• Like 2