IGNORED

Handheld to play old genesis and nes games

Asterix

I'm trying to give up my computer and I'd like a way to play these old games using a handheld. It would also come in handy at the library when I need a break from studying. Is there something on the market that can play both genesis and nes titles? I'd settle for one or the other if I had to.

Thanks

Smart phone

I've already considered a tablet but I'm not sure if it will give me a genuine experience. I played these games when they were new on the original systems so I won't be happy if the controls are off or the sound isn't right. It doesn't seem like the controls would be all that great on a tablet.

Edited by Asterix

Tablet or phone + bluetooth controller = lag each and every time, which is especially noticeable on pinball games. And you're talking emulation, so there goes the sound in many cases.

The Sega portable works pretty well and you have the option of hooking it to your TV/monitor for big screen gaming later, but sound is a little off on certain games. No lag in the controls at least.

https://www.amazon.com/Sega-Genesis-Arcade-Ultimate-Portable-2016/dp/B01KV6EC7O/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1484796283&sr=8-1&keywords=sega+portable&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=bf2956c5dd210dd3e7fc93edf1a67791

Then there's this Retro-Bit device, but have never tried it. Anyone have any experience with this? Looks like it's gotten decent reviews...

https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-RDP-Portable-Handheld-Console-Black/dp/B009SE735Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1484796458&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+portable&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=4de2a8f2676816c6584a5783202b38e9

I've already considered a tablet but I'm not sure if it will give me a genuine experience.

You're never going to get the "genuine" experience if that's what you're after. These things all use emulation; in my experience emulation is *never* perfect, but it can be enjoyable as long as you don't expect that.

Closest thing to what you're asking for is probably this: https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-RDP-Portable-Nintendo-Entertainment-System/dp/B009SE735Y/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=2c1db89d5f67fbbea6603d5b38160bc4

Combined with this: https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-RetroGEN-Cartridge-Super-NES-6306300/dp/B0071IDAQU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=f0095a982443fe89589e6afdc035775c

Personally I am happy with my AtGames Sega Genesis Portable, but it only plays Genesis games (and its sound is a little lower than a real Genesis).

• Like 1

If you want authentic, get a Nomad.

If you're sane, get one of these. I've never owned one but I hear good things about it. If you can get a Dingoo A320, that would be even better but those have been out of production for a long time so you probably will only find used ones these days.

sku_47741_1.jpg

It's about as authentic as you're ever going to get and they're getting pretty hard to find and this is a good price from a website that seems to have stock. I can't vouch for the website but it was recommended on another forum, so there's that.

• Like 1

That gopher/at games is a sopping turd. Games don't save, audio is off pitch, and some games (via your carts, or ROMS on a SD card) have graphical failure and won't work. A member here works for them, said this year a new Genesis handheld/console system is coming with proper emulation like their other classic systems that appears to fix the audio, saving, gfx glitches and other minor problems. If you go that route, wait.

But personally I think you're screwing yourself NOT doing a tablet. Just find one with a port on the side that can take a USB-C style jack as they're not just power but can take/transfer data too. There are adapters or just straight up controllers out there you can pop into that port that Android will pick up. Then just find the favored emulator by the masses for the console you want and throw some ROMS at it.

I'm fairly picky, but I can settle fine using a steelseries free mobile bluetooth controller with the heavily powered Nvidia Shield Tablet and it gets the job done. The hardware in that tablet alone is capable of running Gamecube games at full frames so NES and Genesis would be of no concern for problems. The tablet as it stands now with the stylus removed in a recent re-issue costs $200. Also being a Tegra chip, you have exclusive PS3 (-ish) level conversion of popular games that only work on their devices.

• Like 1

If you hate yourself, get a Nomad. That thing is crapola. Maybe the AtGames Genesis handheld is worse, but it would take a lot of effort.

Anyway, a hacked PSP ain't a bad way to get your Genesis and NES fix on the go. The Vita (also hacked) may be worth exploring as well.

• Like 2

That gopher/at games is a sopping turd. Games don't save,

The games that come with it actually do save. I've only tried it with Phantasy Star but it worked fine.

The audio pitch is a little off, but not that much. It's like one whole note low. You wouldn't notice it in real life unless you did a direct A/B comparison (which I've done). It's like watching a movie in PAL vs. NTSC. Plenty of people have no idea anything's even different.

Overall I'm really happy with mine. Every emulator has something wrong with it. *Every* one. It's just a question of what you personally are willing to deal with and whether or not you actually come across all of the bugs in the games you actually play. A lot of emulators that I've seen people say are perfect are nothing of the sort IMO. Others that people say they can't deal with because of various issues, I've never had any problem with. The AtGames Genesis emulation is the latter for me.

• Like 2

The games that come with it actually do save. I've only tried it with Phantasy Star but it worked fine.

The audio pitch is a little off, but not that much. It's like one whole note low. You wouldn't notice it in real life unless you did a direct A/B comparison (which I've done). It's like watching a movie in PAL vs. NTSC. Plenty of people have no idea anything's even different.

Only on the newest release from the 2016 model yes PS2-3 will save as do a couple others, but all the other games that can save (SD card or cart in console) will not. It's a cheap hack, and to get those games they removed the streets of rage trilogy which really hurts the package at least for fans of that series. The audio maybe a whole note low, and you're right it's not that bad, but in some select games it's horrible (like Sonic) where the ring sounds among others are grating. That's why I said not to go for it, and well because Bill here on the site said this years release is a brand new construct where those audio, save, etc problems are resolved since they ditched the buggy/busted firecore emulator. I intend to buy ths 2017 model as it's been a long time (good decade almost) coming as far as I'm concerned as I had the first SD card model, then the 2015 one as well.

It's definitely worth the asking $40 though, and likely good enough for the first poster. It's a lot of fun and it plays almost every ROM. Just stick to action games and play hours-long RPGs elsewhere, and set expectations low for the music. Typical jangly Genesis style stuff sounds fine.

I agree it's not awful, it's just not fantastic but definitely functional. If you didn't grow up with the Genesis or are trading out one for the handheld you may not realize most the sound is off anyway. My point was same price wait a few months or so, get one that works right.

I just sold mine off a day ago for $40 so they have good resale value. ;)

It's crap but it works. It just works like crap in reference to no saving on any but the newest version and only for 5 games, the audio is off key, and some games have graphical problems that stop playability (notably Contra Lv1 background won't scroll.) it's a solid enough device to run I'd guess 85-90% of the games I would imagine, the other 10-15% are broken or broken by proxy as you can't save progress, and a few percent given to those who can't stand the audio enough to not play a game or so.