IGNORED

Does it matter where you get the high score

Jim Pez

let's say I held the record for the high score for the arcade version of defender on the actual arcade machine . If you beat my score using one of the many home versions of defender including mame, would you then have the record or would it not count because it wasn't done on an arcade machine ?

According to Twin Gakaxies, Mame is acceptable.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/help.php

Edit: Remakes of Defender on home consoles (eg. Atarisoft intellivision or colecovision) are each different games and scores are not comparable. Mame Defender is not a home version, it is the exact same version as the arcade.

Edited by mr_me

let's say I held the record for the high score for the arcade version of defender on the actual arcade machine . If you beat my score using one of the many home versions of defender including mame, would you then have the record or would it not count because it wasn't done on an arcade machine ?

Mame *IS* the arcade version. If it's one thing emulators surely get right, it's gameplay logic and rules!

According to Twin Gakaxies, Mame is acceptable.

http://www.twingalaxies.com/help.php

Incorrect. OP said he had the high score on the arcade Defender. MAME is a separate track on Twin Galaxies so having the top score in MAME does not trump the high score on arcade.

• Like 1

Last I checked, Mame version for some reason autoset the joystick to control left/right direction as well.. Don't know if that counts.. some may argue it makes the game easier (I believe it actually makes the game harder).. but that's besides the real point, that it is simply different from how the arcade game control works.

Mame defaults defender to have thrust and reverse mapped to buttons and the joystick to up/down only.

For sure someone could come up with superior controls to the original arcade game giving them an advantage.

Edit: didnt think its possible to make the joystick left/right thrust and reverse in mame

Edited by mr_me