IGNORED

Any retailers selling new Wii U?

That's a good point. I wonder how long they'll be up? I may put them on a USB stick or something since they take up a ton of space on the internal storage.

I currently have a 128Gb stick with around 60-70Gb free space and I don't see myself downloading hoards of additional software, so yeah there's room on it.

I may play some old school Zelda, and then put in Xenoblade Chronicles to get said data packs before I go to bed... gasp... I have to remove shrink wrap!

You probably won't regret it, if you like open-world games (and a slice of Japan at the same time).

• Like 1

After I'm done with the new Dark Souls III DLC, I thinking of going back to Wii U.

I just played Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, and Breath of the Wild... I was considering playing Skyward Sword (my Wii U is also my Wii). But I also have Xenoblade Chronicles X. Never played Xenoblade before.

Edited by Gentlegamer

The Wii-U Gamepad made a surprise cameo in Sunday night's episode of "Last Man on Earth" when a young boy who had previously been living in the wilderness made the newest addition to the cast. In one shot, he could be seen playing video games on a Wii-U Gamepad. I was actually surprised they used a black Wii-U Gamepad instead of a Switch tablet, but I imagine a Switch prototype may not have been made available at the time of filming. I could not make out the game being played, but the screen was illuminated in the shot. It is possible this may be the last instance of deliberate Wii-U product placement in a TV show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Wii-U Gamepad made a surprise cameo in Sunday night's episode of "Last Man on Earth" when a young boy who had previously been living in the wilderness made the newest addition to the cast. In one shot, he could be seen playing video games on a Wii-U Gamepad. I was actually surprised they used a black Wii-U Gamepad instead of a Switch tablet, but I imagine a Switch prototype may not have been made available at the time of filming. I could not make out the game being played, but the screen was illuminated in the shot. It is possible this may be the last instance of deliberate Wii-U product placement in a TV show.

The Wii U would have been the latest Nintendo console for sale at the time of the Apocalypse on that show as well so it only makes sense it was the Wii U and not a Switch. Weather or not that was on purpose I dunno.

The Wii U would have been the latest Nintendo console for sale at the time of the Apocalypse on that show as well so it only makes sense it was the Wii U and not a Switch. Weather or not that was on purpose I dunno.

Good point.

Minor off topic rants and spoilers pertaining to the show follow.

It's hard to place an exact date on the actual apocalypse, but I think the current date in the series is at least 2020 or later. We know the apocalypse takes place at a minimum 2017 or beyond because Trump's funeral was featured in the backstory episode kicking off the second half of season 3, they showed the Procession of dead presidents starting with Trump, Pence, and so on...

The scene was likely filmed before the election, then the audio dubbed over regardless of who won. Though Carol and Erica have been "pregnant" for a year and a half now (looong gestation period, possibly because the producers fully know that having a baby on the set would complicate things and possibly lead the show into one of those "jumped the shark" downward spirals) and neither lady shows any signs of a baby bump yet. How hard is it to fabricate a prosthetic maternity belly worn under the clothes?

Not to mention all the lawns are well manicured, no crumbling infrastructure or any places overgrown with vegetation, and stores / warehouses are practically untouched except by the cast. In a real world disaster scenario, everything would have been looted by survivors as society would have quickly collapsed into anarchy, long before the population thinned down to a half dozen or so.

Just look at natural disasters such as hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Whatever property didn't flood out got looted within 24 hours of the levy breaches as the city decayed into anarchy... :roll:

It could also have been a simple matter of "what portable game system does someone have around the office for a photo op?" For all we know, the actual system featured in the episode might have been owned by a boom mic operator or some other random person behind the scenes... :P

The exact year is established in the very first (pilot) episode; from memory, the outbreak took place in 2018, and Tandy's story commences in 2020.

How much time has since elapsed to the "present" is less clear, but it has been at least two years, so it is about 2022.

I do concur that the pregnancies, especially Erica's, are lasting an exceptionally long time.

• Like 1

The exact year is established in the very first (pilot) episode; from memory, the outbreak took place in 2018, and Tandy's story commences in 2020.

How much time has since elapsed to the "present" is less clear, but it has been at least two years, so it is about 2022.

I do concur that the pregnancies, especially Erica's, are lasting an exceptionally long time.

I forgot about that. I was thinking it was present date to the pilot episodes airing. :dunce:

• 3 months later...

I'm kind of amazed that Nintendo still has refurbished Wii U's up on their site after all this time (and after the Switch's release). The white one sold out almost immediately after this thread went up, but the black one is still there. I realized myself that I'd had a tab in my browser open with that page for months, so when I saw it was still available one day, I said "screw it" and pulled the trigger.

Mine arrived today!

It really is in new condition like others have said theirs was. I was a little disappointed that it came in a plain white box with only a sticker on it saying it's a refurbished Wii U (I've seen YouTube videos of older refurbished units that came in a full-color box with just a stripe across the top saying it's a refurbished system), but the packaging and the system itself were just top notch. Not a scratch or blemish anywhere. These are almost definitely not used systems, unless they're replacing the shells and control surfaces and just reusing the electronics. But I'm guessing that at this point they're what amount to NOS units that they just didn't want to print more boxes for or obviously send to retail.

Nintendo Land is actually pretty neat. The only other game I have so far is Bayonetta 1&2, which I've wanted basically forever. I never had the first one on PS3 even though I wanted it, so I'm playing through that now. What an awesome game. I'm trying to hold off on playing 2 until I finish 1 because I'm afraid it'll be hard going back to 1 if I start 2.

There aren't a lot of other Wii U exclusives that I want, but there are a ton of Wii exclusives (I never had a Wii either) and I'm sure I'll pick up some of the Wii U games mentioned here at some point... at least the ones that aren't already going for higher than MSRP. Even Bayonetta 1&2 I had to pay $50 for.

I wish their customer service was as good. Had a failure, a repeat failure that was identical a few months after it was returned, and the thing sent back to me the last time still isn't 100% and was all scratched up.

Not to mention it took weeks longer than their outside estimate the last time, I was sent tracking data finally the same morning it was delivered back to me (Useful...), and the paperwork was all in Spanish despite living on the Canadian border with the service center handling it being in Syracuse NY just three hours south of me.

I really shouldn't of let them get away with it, but I got tired every year of sending it back and wondered what junker I'd get for my third try. At least it was all free, thanks to them extending the warranty another 12 months after a repair.

Edited by Atariboy

and the thing sent back to me the last time still isn't 100% and was all scratched up.

Yeah, I had to have my Switch repaired (because lord knows you can't just exchange a Switch, even if you're within 30 days) and they sent it back to me with scratches as well. They're very light and I don't have any way to prove that they did it, but I know the system was pristine when I sent it in. I'd really avoid Nintendo repair if possible, or at least take lots of pictures before you do. I've dealt with them before and didn't have a problem but that was because they gave me a replacement 3DS instead of repairing the one I had. This time they repaired my Switch and scratched it up in the process.

Relatedly, it's a bit ironic that this "refurbished" Wii U is the first perfect Nintendo product I've bought in about 5 years.

My faults all rest with gamepad to Wii U communications. I wish a Pro Controller was a better substitute in the event of a major failure down the road that kills the feature completely.

So much of my Wii U library works just fine with this accessory in-game (In fact short of a few levels in Super Mario 3D World and the occasional moment in Breath of the Wild that sadly keep them from being 100% compatible, I think my entire library is playable without it and will stay that way until I finally buy Super Mario Maker and Lego City Undercover one of these days). But key things here and there still require it, like the system OS itself.

I loved off-screen play and often found the second screen a minor benefit in many games like the Zelda remasters. but if I could go back and make this feature completely optional or even kill it entirely, I'd do it. I have little faith in its longevity and shudder to think about how expensive working Wii U gamepads on Ebay will be in a few years.

Edited by Atariboy

I'm travelling and halfway around the world, back at home at the moment, and wouldn't you know it, I spotted a new Wii U for sale at the local mall. I didn't check the price (probably about 50 bucks over retail). But figured I'd point it out since hey, it's kind of the original question of this thread... :lol:

post-31-0-31409200-1500564891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm travelling and halfway around the world, back at home at the moment, and wouldn't you know it, I spotted a new Wii U for sale at the local mall. I didn't check the price (probably about 50 bucks over retail). But figured I'd point it out since hey, it's kind of the original question of this thread... :lol:

attachicon.gifIMG_5091.JPG

In the printiny and headphone isle! :lolblue: