Dungeon II: Solstice

58 replies to this topic

#1 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• 610 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:51 PM

Hi everybody!  It's been awhile.

I wanted to see if I could do something similar to my older game Dungeon, but this time 100% asm, 4k only with no extra hardware.  It's taken a few years of off and on work (mostly off) to get it to a playable point.

It's more of the same, but a bit more abstract due to the 4k limitation.  There are probably bugs I haven't found yet.  If you encounter one, please let me know.

Attached File  d2_solstice_ntsc_rc9.bin   4KB   16 downloads

Attached File  d2_solstice_pal60_rc9.bin   4KB   4 downloads

Attached File  Dungeon II - Solstice Manual.txt   4.83KB   70 downloads

EDIT: 05/22 - Release Candidate 9

Edited by s0c7, Tue May 22, 2018 5:10 PM.

#2 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 718 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:01 PM

Awesome! Great to see you here again!

#3 4ever2600 OFFLINE  

4ever2600

Dragonstomper

• 718 posts

Posted Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:02 PM

Ps tried the new game, lots of promise. Can't wait to see how you complete this. Still play so much of your original Dungeons game. Keep up the great work!

#4 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,539 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:58 AM

Very cool.  Also very hard with only being able to heal at the Megaliths.  I'd like to see self-healing added at some point.  :)  Thank you for sharing, and I hope you keep it up.

Your 1st Dungeon was one of the 1st homebrews I got and I still play it.  That one works on the Flashback Portable too, BTW.  This one does not, in case anyone was wondering.

#5 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:32 AM

Thanks guys!  Glad to know people are still playing the original.

Yeah, I thought the endgame might be a bit much.  I'll ratchet it down a bit for the next release.  This is never going to be more than 4k, so major additions are probably going to be few and far between unless I can scrounge up more space than currently available.

I don't have a AFP, or know a lot about them.  I understand the emulation is "off" somehow, but don't know the specifics.  Not something I'm terribly interested in.

#6 neotokeo2001 ONLINE  

neotokeo2001

River Patroller

• 3,820 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 PM

Plays great!! Always ready for another adventure.

Shared with Atari 2600 Homebrew group on FaceBook

https://www.facebook...ari2600homebrew

#7 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 PM

Quick update in the first post.  Just dropped the Crow hp by 1.  Makes it much easier, but still difficult to win.  This will probably be the last update for a while.  I need to do another round of code cleanup before trying to do anything else.

#8 tradyblix OFFLINE  

tradyblix

Combat Commando

• 5 posts

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:15 PM

I'm going to play the original soon. Not that many people outside this hobby in the public know about these home-brews, some public visibility would be nice. 

#9 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,284 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:59 PM

HOORAY!  If any homebrew begs for a sequel it is Dungeon!  Still one of the best HB games ever.  I am super excited to see this completed and on cart!

#10 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

Thrust, Jammed, SWOOPS!, Boulder Dash, THREE·S, Star Castle

• 23,162 posts
  • Always left from right here!

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:42 AM

Any chance for more randomness? The objects move, but the maze layout always stays the same.

#11 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:10 AM

Any chance for more randomness? The objects move, but the maze layout always stays the same.

If you mean generate everything on the fly, I don't see any way I could do that and maintain world consistency.  There are also certain considerations about where things can be placed due to how I'm doing the display.  At best, it might could choose between a couple of predefined layouts for a section (goblin cave for example).  That's about it.

#12 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 23,162 posts

Posted Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:20 AM

Maybe you could define a view locations pairs in the maze where you can alter the maze by swapping walls with open areas. Just one or two such swaps could change the paths completely.

#13 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:25 PM

New binary in the first post.  You can heal yourself now.  Also cleaned up the fire button code.

#14 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:13 PM

Another update.  A few minor bug fixes and my first stab at a PAL60 version.  For those in PAL land, if the colors look bad or are too dark let me know and I'll try to tweak it as best I can.

With this, barring bug fixes, I'll probably be going dark for a while.  I need to think about a few things before trying to make any more changes.

#15 Thomas Jentzsch OFFLINE  

Thomas Jentzsch

• 23,162 posts

Posted Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:27 PM

Dark grays are one notch darker on PAL than on NTSC. So if you have e.g. $02 for NTSC, you should use $04 for PAL.

#16 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:52 PM

Minor color mods to the PAL60 version.

#17 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,284 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 PM

Ok.  I LOVE this.  I swear, you've mastered the RPG for the Atari 2600.  I had to stop myself from just playing this all day because I want to save some of the newness for the eventual cart release.  This is one of the few projects where I don't want to know too much before it makes it to the finished stage, but I will add that this is EXACTLY the kind of game I get jazzed up about.

#18 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:46 PM

Thanks man!  Great to hear you're enjoying it.  I doubt there will be a cart anytime soon.  I'm still cleaning up code to get space back and will have to see where I am before I decide what else I might try to put in.  So far, I haven't even talked to Al about a cart release.  There's usually a bit of lead time with that sort of thing as well.  I think you're safe to play it for a bit.

#19 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• 778 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:39 PM

This is great to see a sequel. The first was literally the main reason I had my first AA homebrew purchase. Hope to hear it progress and make it to a cart.

#20 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:42 PM

Thanks everybody!

I've uploaded the latest version to the first post.  I'll let you figure out what's different.

Edited by s0c7, Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:45 PM.

#21 JeffIrok OFFLINE  

JeffIrok

Space Invader

• 25 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:04 AM

Nice - Looking forward to playing it on the Portable!  Thanks!

#22 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 AM

I did make a ton of under the hood changes, so I suppose there is a chance it works on the portable now.  My best guess is it probably still doesn't.  It works fine in emulation (z26 & Stella) and on hardware (at least on my Vader using a Krok).  That's all I'm really shooting for.  Hopefully they'll improve the emulation on the next revision of the portable.

#23 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 15,284 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:54 PM

Oh, I love, love, love this.  Never, ever stop making these games

:spidey: :love:

#24 s0c7 OFFLINE  

s0c7

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 610 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 7:28 PM

solstice_1.png

New version in the first post. A few small bug fixes. A little more code reworking. You now have the option to play as either the Wizard or Faerie (see docs). I'm almost completely out of room, so we're drifting into final release territory.

#25 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• 778 posts

Posted Sat Apr 1, 2017 9:40 PM

Was the first dungeon only 4k?

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users