IGNORED

Dungeon II: Solstice

s0c7

Hi everybody! It's been awhile.

I wanted to see if I could do something similar to my older game Dungeon, but this time 100% asm, 4k only with no extra hardware. It's taken a few years of off and on work (mostly off) to get it to a playable point.

It's more of the same, but a bit more abstract due to the 4k limitation. There are probably bugs I haven't found yet. If you encounter one, please let me know.

d2_solstice_ntsc_rc9.bin

d2_solstice_pal60_rc9.bin

Dungeon II - Solstice Manual.txt

EDIT: 05/22 - Release Candidate 9

Edited by s0c7
  • Like 17

Very cool. Also very hard with only being able to heal at the Megaliths. I'd like to see self-healing added at some point. :) Thank you for sharing, and I hope you keep it up.

Your 1st Dungeon was one of the 1st homebrews I got and I still play it. That one works on the Flashback Portable too, BTW. This one does not, in case anyone was wondering.

Thanks guys! Glad to know people are still playing the original.

Yeah, I thought the endgame might be a bit much. I'll ratchet it down a bit for the next release. This is never going to be more than 4k, so major additions are probably going to be few and far between unless I can scrounge up more space than currently available.

I don't have a AFP, or know a lot about them. I understand the emulation is "off" somehow, but don't know the specifics. Not something I'm terribly interested in.

• Like 1

Any chance for more randomness? The objects move, but the maze layout always stays the same.

If you mean generate everything on the fly, I don't see any way I could do that and maintain world consistency. There are also certain considerations about where things can be placed due to how I'm doing the display. At best, it might could choose between a couple of predefined layouts for a section (goblin cave for example). That's about it.

• Like 1

Another update. A few minor bug fixes and my first stab at a PAL60 version. For those in PAL land, if the colors look bad or are too dark let me know and I'll try to tweak it as best I can.

With this, barring bug fixes, I'll probably be going dark for a while. I need to think about a few things before trying to make any more changes.

• Like 1

Ok. I LOVE this. I swear, you've mastered the RPG for the Atari 2600. I had to stop myself from just playing this all day because I want to save some of the newness for the eventual cart release. This is one of the few projects where I don't want to know too much before it makes it to the finished stage, but I will add that this is EXACTLY the kind of game I get jazzed up about.

• Like 1

Thanks man! Great to hear you're enjoying it. I doubt there will be a cart anytime soon. I'm still cleaning up code to get space back and will have to see where I am before I decide what else I might try to put in. So far, I haven't even talked to Al about a cart release. There's usually a bit of lead time with that sort of thing as well. I think you're safe to play it for a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did make a ton of under the hood changes, so I suppose there is a chance it works on the portable now. My best guess is it probably still doesn't. It works fine in emulation (z26 & Stella) and on hardware (at least on my Vader using a Krok). That's all I'm really shooting for. Hopefully they'll improve the emulation on the next revision of the portable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-6510-0-86742500-1491096277_thumb.png

New version in the first post. A few small bug fixes. A little more code reworking. You now have the option to play as either the Wizard or Faerie (see docs). I'm almost completely out of room, so we're drifting into final release territory.

• Like 2