IGNORED

Favorite systems to collect for?

As an update to my original post in this thread, I have to add...

Nintendo Wii: This is the only home console that has never left my gaming center since the day I got it at launch, and man have I ever had some good times with this system. I was taking a break from collecting for the Wii when I originally posted in this thread back in January, but I couldn't stay away for long because this system just ticks all the boxes for me.

It's a quirky system with a huge variety of game styles and ways to play them, and most importantly (to me at least) it's a great value for the money. Wii games are dirt cheap to collect complete in box right now, with iconic titles like Resident Evil 4 setting you back all of $6 and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess being $12; both of which will afford you 40+ hours of fun for your money. And if you're willing to do a little work soft modding your Wii with the Homebrew Channel then you can emulate just about every 8-bit and 16-bit system on it flawlessly. The Wii has pretty much replaced my Sega Genesis and has fully replaced my old Atari 7800. It's also my go-to way to play the DOS classics Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom; which look and sound perfect on the Wii and play brilliantly with the Wii's Classic Controller.

Lastly, I'm a huge fan of light gun games and the Wii is just overflowing with awesome light gun shooters; not to mention ways to play them. Being able to slot the Wii remote into any light gun grip you want opens up a rather enormous amount of options for control customization, whether you want to use a pistol, shotgun, or any other type of firearm you can dream up. And I think that really speaks for the Wii library as a whole. With everything from racing wheels to gun grips, arcade sticks, classic style controllers, and even DJ turntables you can connect the Wii remote to there's a larger variety of ways to play your games and keep your gaming experiences fresh and engaging on the Wii than any other console I can think of. :)

toYxMPu.jpg

Edited by Jin

Like it says on the box. Which systems are your favorites to collect? It can be for any reason--gameplay, historical significance, shelf appeal, nostalgia, you just think it's neat, whatever.

Some of mine:

Atari 2600: ...

VIC-20: ...

TRS-80 Color: ...

Atari 7800: ...

Atari XEGS: ...

Honorable mentions--Atari 5200, Odyssey 2, Channel F, Intellivision, Bally...

Revisiting this eight months later, my tastes are still the same. I haven't gotten much VIC, Color Computer, or XEGS stuff lately (or any that I can think of--maybe a random CoCo cart?), but I have added several 2600 items (including the very rare 1986/Atari Corp. variants of "Black Jack" and Hangman), a few 7800 carts (including Mean 18), a gaggle of Atari 5200 carts (some Activisions and Rescue on Fractalus, the last Atari-produced cart I needed), Volleyball! for the Odyssey (only need Powerlords now for a complete North American collection), a couple of commons for the Bally, and I CIBified some Intellivision commons.

And of course after recently saying somewhere that I'm not that big a Coleco guy, I've been picking up some more Coleco games, as well, after I lucked into a minty CIB roller controller this summer. :P :-D And hardcore Colecovision people will cringe at this, but it's actually the Telegames stuff that particularly interests me. :)

PlayStation 1: So many good games, and cheap to collect

Game Boy family, to me, GB, GBc, GBA. I like the boxes of those games, very neat on the shelf.

C64: Buy everything I can, cheap, most of the time.

Of course, Atari VCS, Lynx, 5200, 7800 too.

And IBM compatible.

I enjoyed collecting N-Gage, game.com and microvision, all three complete now.

• 3 months later...

Odyssey 2 - it just screams retro when people see it, and I don't have any other retro consoles/computers with a built-in keyboard. The game boxes are really cool too.

Sega CD - I love the blue game cases and how cool they all look in my collection overall. A lot of games are pretty awful though.

Nintendo GameCube - over halfway to a complete boxed collection. Great party system so a big collection is somewhat practical too. GBA adapter is icing on the cake.

Honorable mentions - Genesis/NES/SNES/2600 cuz childhood.

Living in Germany I love to collect for the Game Boy. First because hese are the only cartridges you actually find in flea markets and out in the wild. Sure, I see the odd SNES or N64 game here and there, but people just slap 10 bucks asking price on those even if they're common crap games. It's insane.

The other reason is the GB never had a region lock, and all games run "normal". I don't have to be careful about the whole Pal stuff. So that makes it much more enjoyable collecting for the system.

When I say Game Boy I mean GB, GBC and GBA. All of them are still not valued much at all around here, and therefore I like looking around and getting games for it.

I do buy for the SNES and Mega Drive, but then it's mostly e-bay, just because I like the systems so much. But the whole hunting for games is very frustrating, and buying a game without knowing it before hand is basically impossible. I'm not buying a game for 15 bucks just to get to know what it is.

My favorites to collect for are the Atari trinity of 2600, 7800 and the 8-bit computers. All three systems have some incredible homebrews going on that helps to really keep these libraries feeling fresh.

I used to enjoy collecting for the coco but since I never played anything on those computers and I found when I really thought about it, it is not a great gaming machine I've sold it all off. It was one of my favorites at one time. Still don't miss it despite the nostalgia of that system. As for NES, SNES and Genesis, I'm only after new homebrews. That NES Maker looks fantastic and I'm intrigued by that for sure.

Right now I'm in a PS4 collecting mode, not to collect per se but there's a few games I'd like to get to play. I only have Battlefront II and Worms WMD All Stars so far.