7 replies to this topic

#1 Glen's Retro Show OFFLINE  

Glen's Retro Show

Chopper Commander

• 200 posts

Posted Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 PM

Hi everyone.

See my links below to see my converted
Best Fun 01 Pac-Man, 02 Space Invaders and DreamGear Arcade into RetroPi systems.
They run with a raspberry Pi Zero, 2200 size battery and a 2.8" or 2.4" color screens.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 2.5

#2 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,876 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 1:48 AM

Hi everyone.

See my links below to see my converted
Best Fun 01 Pac-Man, 02 Space Invaders and DreamGear Arcade into RetroPi systems.

A few weeks ago I purchased a little bundle of handhelds and in that bundle was an MGA Centipede

411BDK08HEL._AC_UL320_SR204,320_.jpg

I've not seen these little mini-arcades before and the very first thing that popped in my head when I saw this unit was to rebuild it with a Pi Zero and a little display.

It has 4 buttons along the bottom, so there should be plenty for functions, but I can see the dilemma of only having one fire button or having the left and right buttons be separate for A/B on separate sides of the joystick.

And the fake little coin slots look to be on a separate piece, and depending on what it looks like on the inside, there is a hope I can redo all that so there is a pushbutton behind it.  Pressing the coin slots as a button would be a sleek enhancement.

The joystick feels like it is only a 4-way.  I am not sure if there is a way to change it to 8-way, but 4-way isn't the end of the world.

Now that I see your videos I am more pumped to rebuild it, but I have a few other projects in the works and it'll some time before I can get to this one.

#3 Glen's Retro Show OFFLINE  

Glen's Retro Show

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 6:49 AM

That's great to hear..and thank you for the watch.🤗

Have a look at my MGA Super Breakout build 🤗

Edited by moonlight23, Sat Jul 8, 2017 7:00 AM.

#4 Glen's Retro Show OFFLINE  

Glen's Retro Show

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 6:50 AM

And here is the rest of my current build lineup.

#5 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,876 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 11:04 AM

Yes, I've seen those videos, thanks.

The night that I got my MGA Centipede I went searching on Google and these were watched and noted.

I even added links to them a couple days ago over in this thread:

http://atariage.com/...e-raspberry-pi/

#6 Glen's Retro Show OFFLINE  

Glen's Retro Show

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 200 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 9:59 PM

🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

I also in fact have an invader from space I was going to Pi 🤔🤗🙂😎

#7 fdr4prez OFFLINE  

fdr4prez

Stargunner

• 1,876 posts

Posted Sat Jul 8, 2017 10:54 PM

What did you do for sound/audio out of the Pi Zero?

pHAT DAC or the Pimoroni's speaker pHAT are options, but pricey comparatively against the price of the Pi0

I think I can make my own circuit using the info from Adafruit's page about it:

https://learn.adafru...o/audio-outputs

#8 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,723 posts

Posted Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:51 AM

Just a heads up, noted this in the other related 'Pi' thread, but look for Best Fun/The Bridge Direct Walmart sold #3 and #4 Centipede and Q-Bert.  They're a little fatter than the PM/SI units but are a bit more durable.  Cenitpede has your 2 buttons on the right and stick on the left so it feels right.  The dumb molding around the stick is in a + shape but I think filing that down with a dremel would fix that.  I think it would be most ideal for your project perhaps.  These are NOAC units with 1 game on there and a normal LCD screen inside, maybe it could be harvested.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users