IGNORED

XF551 Track Display/Front Panel Control Pre-order Offer

Dropcheck

I have had requests to offer this again. A previous pre-order offer in November last year did not make the minimum order needed. I have restructured the offer a little to hopefully make it more appealing.

Just when you thought the XF551 couldn't get any better...... Announcing the XF551 Control board bundle pre-order. This add-on board will work with both my re-imaged XF551 Main Boards and the original XF551 Floppy Drive boards from Atari. Unlike previous upgrades this will require some modifications to the XF551 Case. I have tried to keep these to a minimum.

DSC_2297.jpg

There will be two options:

Option 1: Track Display Only ($30.00 + shipping)

DSC_2302.jpg

DSC_2303.jpg

DSC_2305.jpg

This will include the main board with your choice of a right panel or drive panel positioning for the actual track display.

TrackDisplayPlacement.jpg

Position One is preferred in my opinion. It is the easiest to do, requiring only a small rectangular cutout on the right hand front panel.

Position Two is more complicated to do and has the added problem of visibility depending on what angle you are looking at it. It requires partial disassembly of the drive faceplate and more precise cutout and placement of the display board. It can be done and if you enjoy a challenge may work out well for you.

Option 2: Track Display and Control Boards ($40.00 + shipping)

DSC_2300.jpg

ControlsPlacement.jpg

This will include the main board and a left panel control board with your choice of a right panel or drive panel positioning for the actual track display.

The same track display options are available.

The left panel control board includes front panel control of drive #, reset button and OS switcher. Board also includes opening for a power switch to be mounted and hot glued in. Power switch and wiring not included. The OS switcher takes advantage of a feature of my reimaged XF551 motherboards, but can be used on an original Atari XF551 motherboard with some additional rom socket modifications.

There's also the abiltity to order both right and drive track display panels for $5.00 more.

On the original Atari XF551, depending on the option you chose you will need to solder upto to 11 wire connections for the needed board signals. On my re-imaged boards depending on the version you may only need to solder 1 to 4 wires.

As with my previous offerings ordering will be done on my website. Not through this thread. At this time assembly will take place in the US.

I plan to do an minimum initial run of 10, with the option depending on the demand for multiples of 10. As with previous pre-order offerings, if the minimum order # is not meet, then all monies will be refunded.

As per previous offers ABBUC members will recieve a 10% discount. You must note your membership # on the order before submitting.

Flat rate domestic shipping will be $8.00 while international shipping will be $22.50 for up to four.

Right now the pcb board house I use just started their two week Chinese New Year celebration. I can order pcbs, but there will be a delay of upto three weeks before they will ship to me. That means that parts ordering and assembly should take at least three to four weeks. Shipment to you should take place by Feb 20th with any luck.

Order window should open in a few hours.

Edited by Dropcheck
  • Like 4

You can count on me to do some sniping if it's needed, but to be effective

at that I'll need to know when the order window closes. Also helpful

to know by how many did this project fail to fly the last time?

I assumed it was a done deal, so wasn't even watching last time, sorry.

Don't need or want it, but I could order one, maybe more if that's the

difference in getting these made or not. Hopefully others with similar

thinking can pile on too. I would like to wait for the next to last day

so those that really do want it can get it.

You can count on me to do some sniping if it's needed, but to be effective

at that I'll need to know when the order window closes. Also helpful

to know by how many did this project fail to fly the last time?

I assumed it was a done deal, so wasn't even watching last time, sorry.

Don't need or want it, but I could order one, maybe more if that's the

difference in getting these made or not. Hopefully others with similar

thinking can pile on too. I would like to wait for the next to last day

so those that really do want it can get it.

I'm looking at the usual two week window. So it should close Feb 9th or 10th.

• Like 1

can't select the both option for led display choices.... unless it means you get one already and your selecting the both option and not either/or by default.. might want to check on how the order selector is working on the site....

I think there is a bug in the dropdown menu that affects the selection display. You can select the option you want and it correctly records the selection but does not display the correct selection. ie if you chose both and included you notice that the cost is displayed as the max amount. Be sure you click on clear and then select the options you want. When you get to the checkout display you should see the correct selections and cost.

I need to update the theme, which I believe is where the problem is. All the other modules of the site are current.

• Like 1

:) tf_hh might be your source on that. :-D

I´ve done such mods some time for Speedy users. The 7-segment display in the front bezel of the Tandon drive mechanic, switches and leds left and right in the 1050 brown bezel. But this is a lot of handy work, you´ve to use glue and the result looks... ok. But not perfect. Ok, if you spent dozens of hours it may look more professional, but I´m not fanatic enough for something like that :grin:

Making a PCB supporting these features is not a problem. Also track display working with a unmodified 1050 and all speeder and so on. The lack of space for controls at the 1050´s front is the issue. In the german ABBUC forum there´s a guy planning to make a 3D modelled new bezel with more space at the lower part for better integration of the Mega-Speedy control panel. When I got one... maybe there´s a little batch of such a 1050 expansion possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Lenore

I tried to log in. Neither my mail address nor my first name was recognized as being known.

Sincerely

Mathy

That appears to be a different problem than 1050's.

That tends to indicate you don't have an account in the database. Bad..... but easily fixable. :(

PM me with the name you registered under and when you believe you registered. I just looked and I don't think I saw you listed as a customer either. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I've run into a problem with one of the boards I recieved from Itead. The routing is off. I've sent a corrected gerber file for the board, but it is going to take about two weeks more before I'll recieve the corrected board. Not sure how it happened, but it did.

I am sorry. :(

• 5 years later...
On 2/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, tf_hh said:

I´ve done such mods some time for Speedy users. The 7-segment display in the front bezel of the Tandon drive mechanic, switches and leds left and right in the 1050 brown bezel. But this is a lot of handy work, you´ve to use glue and the result looks... ok. But not perfect. Ok, if you spent dozens of hours it may look more professional, but I´m not fanatic enough for something like that :grin:

Making a PCB supporting these features is not a problem. Also track display working with a unmodified 1050 and all speeder and so on. The lack of space for controls at the 1050´s front is the issue. In the german ABBUC forum there´s a guy planning to make a 3D modelled new bezel with more space at the lower part for better integration of the Mega-Speedy control panel. When I got one... maybe there´s a little batch of such a 1050 expansion possible.

So do you have a solution as I have 4 x 1050 drives, one with a Happy Mod and I'm dying to add a track display to my unit. Do you have a solution?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, macsonny said:

So do you have a solution as I have 4 x 1050 drives, one with a Happy Mod and I'm dying to add a track display to my unit. Do you have a solution?

I have a solution, but not finished yet. It´s one of these countless small projects "beside". It´s a little PCB which fits unter the FDC and doesn´t need any soldering to the mainboard of the 1050. It can be used with any disk drive using a WDC279x FDC. A second version is also planned for the 1772 (XF551, Atari ST systems etc.). But please don´t ask when it´s ready...

• Like 2