IGNORED

Frogz 64 Atari Jaguar game

WAVE 1 GAMES

So as some of you may know I have been working on convering the doger example into a full fledged Frogger clone for the Jaguar. Here is my current build of the game. I plan to have 4 levels. Give the binary a play and let me know what you think! Thanks in advance!

FROGZ 64.rom

post-45896-0-03960000-1485493227_thumb.png

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 3

I did not yet try the game but the posted title screen triggers an optical illusion in my brain as the pebbles seems to move when your eyes skim across the pebbles. So even without a Jaguar nearby it already gave me a bit of fun in the early morning :P

• Like 1

I did not yet try the game but the posted title screen triggers an optical illusion in my brain as the pebbles seems to move when your eyes skim across the pebbles. So even without a Jaguar nearby it already gave me a bit of fun in the early morning :P

ha yes I chose to have an optical illusion on the title screen to make it a bit more snazzy giving a sense of animation without a actually using more sprite data. I have also created such an image for my other Jaguar game's title screen. (see attached photo)

One thing I want to know is can you guys make out the 2 voice clips I did? I mean is the audio easy to understand? I know the music is REALLY loud and I am debating either changing the music entirely or turning down the volume.

You should be able to hear "Feeling Froggy?" at the start of the level and "Hot diggity damn!" when you reach the igloos. But im not entirely sure the music and the voice samples are blending together well in their current state

post-45896-0-69729900-1485523432_thumb.png

OK so how about a binary? So what's different? added collisions to the custom car objects I made and I have removed the death screen completely. (I will save this as the Game Over screen) I have also finished the fancy Jaguar intro in this version and this is not the snow level but the true first level of the game. This version will NOT run in Project Tempest. It is compatible with Virtual Jaguar and actual Jaguar hardware only. Have fun!

(And Madman, I'm sorry I forgot to add a screen dedicating it to you but don't worry I will put something special for you in the next binary release. lol)

Frogz 64 Beta 1.rom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDh2aVJmMg8

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 3

then wtf is going on?!?!?!?!? OMG this is so weird.!!!

Strange strange stuff. Thanks Saturn

Oh you know what Saturn..... I think I have 2 different versions of VJ on my PC. That could explain it.

So folks it's compatible with VJ 2.1.0 and hardware until further notice.....

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones

Ah. Yes I just booted it up in VJ 2.1.2 and it works fine. The version that was displaying the white screen is VJ GIT 20160613. <---- So don't use that one! In fact I just discovered I have multiple versions on of VJ my PC. Apparently I had Windows auto associate .rom files with the GIT version before and didn't realize it.

• Like 1

How on earth did you manage to find 6 people crazy enough to pay $20 a copy for a graphics-swapped, broken version of a tutorial lesson?

Hang on, nm, it's Jaguar...

Seems legit.

Thats not all this is. And that money ($120) is going towards building the carts to the final version of the game ($500 for 20 cart run) Also each person who bought a demo disk will get a discount on the final version of the game. (-$10) plus a free Frogz 64 custom made plush toy.

The full game will feature:

4 stages + 1 bonus 2600 style stage

Lava

Snow

Street

Space

2600 style level.

2 player competitive mode.

Progress is going along smoothly even though I have to completely redo the control for player 2 frog because when trying to duplicate the subroutines for jagpad1 and movedoge it does work however the player 2 frog goes all over the screen.

The Doger example was a great starting point for the game but the goal of this project is to take it much further than the Doger example.

I'm confident that i will meet all my goals. I have already fixed my custom intro which was pretty simple. So thats not broken anymore and is working properly on the demo disk. The only things that are really broken are the original Doger gameplay elements such as the nyancat trying to point to another .bmp in the middle of gameplay and the wacky collisions on the logs. All of these objects will be replaced completely as they DONT work. I am thankful for the Doger tutorial it taught me a lot. More than just graphics swapping for example after I worked with this i figured out WHY project ones music gets all scrambled and distorted on console about 20 minutes into gameplay. Because the mod volume is cranked to the max and should be between 0-67. For that game 18 works just fine. This could have been done by either adding user controlled volume option or a simple line of code at startup that sets the mod volume to 18.

It is nice that people are interested in the game and being supportive.

I will be sure to post an update soon when I finish creating the new control subroutines for player 2

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

How on earth did you manage to find 6 people crazy enough to pay $20 a copy for a graphics-swapped, broken version of a tutorial lesson?

It's a sound financial investment for those six people. Just wait a while until the full game is released, then sell them on eBay as an "ULTЯ@ Я@R3 PR0T0!!!!" Instant profit.

• Like 4