IGNORED

TI 99 USB Keys Issue

Shift838

So I got around to building another USB keys for another one of my 99/4A and I seem to be running into a wall with this one.

I have pinged Matt and followed all his suggestions. I have checked everything, but one issue I have not been able to isolate and maybe someone here that has built one has run across the same issue and fixed it and can let me know.

I have traced all connections and performed all continuity test successfully.

It seems that the USB Keys will constantly reboot and Matt said that is because it does not see a keyboard. Now I am using a keyboard that I know works with my other 99/4A with USB keys.

I have tested the USB keys on my 99/4A that is working and when I test pins 1 (+5) and pin 4 (ground) on the USB Female connector i get 5 volts, but on the one that does not work I get 0 volts. I am sure this is the issue, but for the life of me I cannot track it down.

I have tested the voltage from the +5v header to Vin of the Teensy as well as the VBUS +5 on the PCB mount board with the USB Mini host adapter, and all read +5 volts. but the USB Female is getting nothing. I am wondering if I got a bad USB Mini Host adapter somehow.

I also did cut the trace as required for the install on the USB mini Host and jumper it to the +5v VBUS.

post-35187-0-60861400-1485663203_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 2

If you are seeing 5v on the board and zero on the connector then I'd bet your connector is bad or badly soldered

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

That's what I am thinking. I have reheated every pin to make sure solder reflowed and tested witih a continuity tester to all the points on the schematic over to the Teensy and power lines and all come back good. So I am leaning to thinking it's bad.

That's what I am thinking. I have reheated every pin to make sure solder reflowed and tested witih a continuity tester to all the points on the schematic over to the Teensy and power lines and all come back good. So I am leaning to thinking it's bad.

Have you verified that the sketch is properly loaded on the Teensy?

did you check the pins on the usbshield where the connector from the usb is soldered to the board?

did you check the pins on the usbshield where the connector from the usb is soldered to the board?

I am working on desoldering the USB shield to check the connector as that seems to be where the issue lies. Matt has provided me where each pin should be connected to on the board. I have stripped a USB cable on one end and plugged it in to be able to read voltage and check continuity easy since the board is already mounted. No continuity on any of the USB connector pins to where they need to be going.

So now I must take it off (I hate desoldering).

Chances are I will just have to order a new USB Mini Host board.

update and word to the wise guys!

I got it working...

Matt believes (I must agree to this) that the Mini USB Host shield does not go through any type of quality checks.

When I was doing one of my many continuity test while scratching my bald head wondering what the hell. All other points are good but the USB connector itself. My continuity test for pins 1 through 4 came up NADA, Zilch, no worky!

I got up to remove myself and take a break and I moved the USB cable i was using that was stripped for continuity testing. Well it moved enough to make a connection and my continuity tester started beeping.

after closer examination I was able to determine the soldering job on the USB connector on the USB Mini Host was just crap. Luckily enough my soldering iron is small enough to be able to hit the pins. I hit them and BAM.. all works..

word to the wise, when you buy these things check them before soldering them in place!

• Like 5

update and word to the wise guys!

I got it working...

Matt believes (I must agree to this) that the Mini USB Host shield does not go through any type of quality checks.

When I was doing one of my many continuity test while scratching my bald head wondering what the hell. All other points are good but the USB connector itself. My continuity test for pins 1 through 4 came up NADA, Zilch, no worky!

I got up to remove myself and take a break and I moved the USB cable i was using that was stripped for continuity testing. Well it moved enough to make a connection and my continuity tester started beeping.

after closer examination I was able to determine the soldering job on the USB connector on the USB Mini Host was just crap. Luckily enough my soldering iron is small enough to be able to hit the pins. I hit them and BAM.. all works..

word to the wise, when you buy these things check them before soldering them in place!

I can see myself wanting one of those in the future, so thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to find someone who will build 1 or 2 of these (depending on cost).for me, as My days of assembling SMT parts to tiny printed circuit boards or even small discrete components for that matter are over I'm lucky that I can hunt and peck PC/TI keyboards well enough to do X4th99 and TIB+ development. There is time as I will be waiting on a tax refund, after I do the return next week.

fdos

I'm trying to find someone who will build 1 or 2 of these (depending on cost).for me, as My days of assembling SMT parts to tiny printed circuit boards or even small discrete components for that matter are over I'm lucky that I can hunt and peck PC/TI keyboards well enough to do X4th99 and TIB+ development. There is time as I will be waiting on a tax refund, after I do the return next week.

fdos

PM Sent.

• Like 1