IGNORED

New futur jaguar game : Zombie night

tonma

Hi,

I'm working on a game for jaguar with Marss0 :-D

It's my first project and discover the hardware at the same time.

I begin to develop with the wonderful Jagbuntu and rmvlib.

I just did a test to display a tilemap, create an animation and move the player.

This will be a 2d action game with a little infiltration and people to save.

Next step, play sound / music and add enemies.

The sound and the test of the game will be difficult because I'm only working on an emulator now.

I take advantage of the forum because I have a lot of questions.

A first video to showing it in real time :

post-44532-0-10160800-1485790141_thumb.png

• Like 14

That new video looks gorgeous, tonma!

The level of detail and colors are what i always wished to get on a Jaguar JRPG style game, hehe. But thats not what i liked the most, that would be the artwork, its phenomenal. Are you in charge of the art yourself?

The theme of the game is awesome too. Great idea. Cartoonish zombies are always cool. Is it more about action or survival?

Edited by sd32
  • Like 3

Thank you all. :-D

that looks great! kind of like a better zombies ate my neighbors but less cartoony!

Yep, more bloody.

That new video looks gorgeous, tonma!

The level of detail and colors are what i always wished to get on a Jaguar JRPG style game, hehe. But thats not what i liked the most, that would be the artwork, its phenomenal. Are you in charge of the art yourself?

The theme of the game is awesome too. Great idea. Cartoonish zombies are always cool. Is it more about action or survival?

For the arts, we using a pack for PC and adapt them to the Jaguar with Marss0 to get the max that we can. And also, in the futur make a sequel for the lynx and maybe a falcon version.

We will have action, infiltration and parts where we must keep alive friends. We wish to make an "real original" game for the jaguar.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I worked on the tilemap engine to create a memory image of the game room (pre-rendered).

It works quite well and it's fast enough but I have a problem with the transparent color when I add my layer (background and object). I have this bug only with virtual jaguar 2.1.2 Windows, no worries with version 2.1.0 or Linux.
You can see it on the attached image, left linux and right Windows.

Can anyone test on a real jaguar to tell me if the bug exists too? I don't want to be stuck on it if it's only emulator glitch.
I don't know what is best: .cof or .bin for testing so I add both. I never tested the bin,

I added a summary collision management with the walls. Next step, collision with enemies.

zombie11.jpg

zombie_night_17032017.zip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to optimize the palette of assets to have more space. (256 colors)

I have an image file with all the tiles and sprites that I would like to split into separate files. With a text file, I have the position, size and name of each object:

<TextureAtlas imagePath = "test.png">
<SubTexture name = "back1.png" x = "0" y = "0" width = "400" height = "104"
<SubTexture name = "back2.png" x = "0" y = "104" width = "400" height = "176" />
<SubTexture name = "tree1.png" x = "0" y = "280" width = "56" height = "48"
</ TextureAtlas>

I found a software "shoebox" that does this but it converts my images into 24bits while I want to keep my palette and the correct order of colors for each file. The goal is to have only one file to work and then run the cutout to insert into the game.
:-D

• Like 1

I found a software "shoebox" that does this but it converts my images into 24bits while I want to keep my palette and the correct order of colors for each file. The goal is to have only one file to work and then run the cutout to insert into the game.

:-D

Its very common for game programmers to write their own utilities for cutting up game assets to use in their projects. If you can't find something to do the job for you, then you'll need to download/use a PC based compiler and roll your own. If you save the large file in windows *.bmp format then itss easy to handle just using fopen/fread/fwrite/fseek etc.

• Like 1

rb+ contains a bmp->native format converter but sadly it doesn't cut rectangles - it just does the whole file at once. Since you mention that you use 256 cols it won't be too difficult to modify it to cut parts of a bmp.

If you get stuck let me know and I'll have a go at it.

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Yes we always work on it. I prefer working on all aspects of game (technical) before working on gameplay.

The problem is really about how to cut a large files into smaller ones with the same palette. I will certainly make my own program.

• Like 1