IGNORED

Joystick for Intellivision?

Denicio

Just to be clear, I was only referring to the Flashback's disc being a sticker. The original Intellivision's disc has a well-bonded later of plastic.

Thanks for clearing this up. I suppose a heat gun applied ever so gingerly will encourage the sticker to come off without much fanfare. A bit of goof-off to remove the residue and then a chess piece. In speaking with the wife about choices, she is torn between the Bishop and the Rook. I told her the rook might give her thumb a flatish area to rest her thumb. As you can see i have CLEARLY put way too much thought into this!!! :-)

I was picking at my Flashback controller's disc and it seems pretty firmly attached. Now on a quest for the perfect chess set with pieces with a flared base. Any luck, Denicio? I feel the urge to test my mettle with friends in Sea Battle, but practicing with the disc feels like driving a car with a watermelon.

I was picking at my Flashback controller's disc and it seems pretty firmly attached. Now on a quest for the perfect chess set with pieces with a flared base. Any luck, Denicio? I feel the urge to test my mettle with friends in Sea Battle, but practicing with the disc feels like driving a car with a watermelon.

Not yet, BUT an amazon search for chess pieces says there are hollow and weighted pieces. Some even say triple weighted. I am thinking hollow is the best choice that way there is little weight on the disk and springs which wont give a 'false' move.

I may get brave this weekend and take a flashback controller and do a mod (if i get a chess set).

Again, your idea seems brilliant on paper.

Here is the Chess Piece option i just decided on. Will have it on friday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RSFD7Q/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder how one of these would work...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=popsocket&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apopsocket

One of my kids has one on the phone case, and it struck me that it's almost the same size as the disc... though I haven't carefully compared. There's even a brushed metal (silver) one, but it's expensive.

I wonder how one of these would work...

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=popsocket&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apopsocket

One of my kids has one on the phone case, and it struck me that it's almost the same size as the disc... though I haven't carefully compared. There's even a brushed metal (silver) one, but it's expensive.

Well, for my needs that wont work. Its almost like an extension to the disk. She was wanting more of a true (ish) joystick as she grew up on the 2600. I'll post pictures of my chess piece adventure. Now my nerdy brain wonders what is going to be the absolute best glue/epoxy for gluing a plastic chess piece to a intellivision controller....hmmm....

Perhaps some JB Weld or some 5 minute plastic epoxy (permatex)? I've used JB Weld on lots of different things over the years, it works great..the regular, original kind is the strongest but it takes a solid 24hrs to cure. There's quicker formulas but they're weaker.

Thanks for this!

• Like 1

NERD ALERT!!!! Just got in the Chess pieces from amazon.

I did a very unchess thing. (Chess players look away) I opened the package and instantly pulled the felt off the bottom of one of the pieces to see how much surface area there is to glue. I was expecting just the edge. Just a very small surface area but to my surprise there is considerable surface area considering the size of the piece. I think this idea will work brilliantly.

So this weekend i will do the Snarfo-Mod to a flashback controller. My plan is to strip the felt, take some goof-off to remove the rest of the residue then take some heavy grit sandpaper to the bottom of it to give the glue something to grab onto. Remove the gold disk sticker on the controller and scuff it up a tiny bit with sandpaper. Apply some JB weld and give it 24 hours. In the end this should be a rocking mod that wont look half bad. Now that i have the chess pieces in my hand i feel the pawn will be the best size and the least weight added to the controller.

The worst thing that can happen is i have one jacked up flashback controller. Best thing to happen is the wife loves it and i have a video game buddy!

• Like 1

NERD ALERT!!!! Just got in the Chess pieces from amazon.

I did a very unchess thing. (Chess players look away) I opened the package and instantly pulled the felt off the bottom of one of the pieces to see how much surface area there is to glue. I was expecting just the edge. Just a very small surface area but to my surprise there is considerable surface area considering the size of the piece. I think this idea will work brilliantly.

So this weekend i will do the Snarfo-Mod to a flashback controller. My plan is to strip the felt, take some goof-off to remove the rest of the residue then take some heavy grit sandpaper to the bottom of it to give the glue something to grab onto. Remove the gold disk sticker on the controller and scuff it up a tiny bit with sandpaper. Apply some JB weld and give it 24 hours. In the end this should be a rocking mod that wont look half bad. Now that i have the chess pieces in my hand i feel the pawn will be the best size and the least weight added to the controller.

The worst thing that can happen is i have one jacked up flashback controller. Best thing to happen is the wife loves it and i have a video game buddy!

Update before I click 'checkout' on Amazon!?! Hope it worked well :-)

Here is my Chess Pawn experiment.

1. Got the flashback controller and decided which pieces might work

2. Tried each of them on the disc and discovered the pawn was the perfect size.

3. Removed the felt from the bottom of the Pawn, set it in a small pool off goof off to remove the residue. After 5 minutes i wiped it off. Then i took the pawn and raked the bottom across 60 grit sand paper to give it a surface to grip on to.

4. Took a heat gun after the removed disc. Heat gun caused it to curl in very little time. Removed it to reveal a clean surface. Put goof off on it, let it sit and then wiped it clean ( had to do this 3 times to get all the goo off). I then took 60 grit after the clean disc, again to give it a rough surface.

5. Took the two tubes or original JB weld, mixed them and applied to the bottom of the pawn.

6. Applied the pawn to the disc and set in a plate with a paper towel because the disc can not lay flat.

7 After 24 hours i reinstalled it to the controller and played about an hour of games.

The stick takes a bit of getting used to if you grew up on the old controller. But all in all this will be a good solution for those wanting a disc.

You will notice the disc still shows signs of scuffing outside of the bottom of the chess piece. I may take some glossy model paint and touch it up to match. Its just a cosmetic thing.

post-49460-0-13252200-1486490833_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-91125100-1486490839_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-46501300-1486490846_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-88098600-1486490852_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-71743100-1486490859_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-82895100-1486490866_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-21084400-1486490873_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-84141500-1486491255_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-16934100-1486491262_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-76656400-1486491268_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-30718600-1486491276_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-31466800-1486491282_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-81209700-1486491286_thumb.jpg

post-49460-0-29277200-1486491288_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Stretching the limits of my memory but i had either "The Controller" or "Distick".

Which ever one i had would constantly pop out of the Intellivision Controller creating a ton of angst in a 12 year old boy! Who needs that kind of pressure????

Now the thumb saver pads crack me up! I played a ton of Intellivision and never experienced thumb soreness.