IGNORED

VWBASICRPG

Papa

I've been playing around in the sink..

VWBRPG.bin

This worked on my SuperCharger through my Gemini and through my modded Vader 2600 but had jitters with the SuperCharger on my Sunnyvale 4-switcher. It also works well on a Harmony Cart.

This is just the first screen of a little RPG I'm working on along with all my other projects. Buttons said the character reminds her of a little rabbit.

• Like 3

Thanks! I'm hoping to use up some of these 'infinite' variables to trigger layer after layer of different levels. Using the background colors to 'disappear' the little above-world textures I will have varying degrees of floor-textured rooms and single color background levels. I'm thinking of having little towns or rooms at many of the hotspots this way. I don't know if I want the little guy to shoot like a Zelda clone or run into RPG battles or maybe a bit of both.

The main character is two colors layered with some pixels overlapping for a third color (a funner aspect of the VCS). The objects are sprites.

Once you get the hang of how to work the visible area of VWBASIC it's really quite good for scrolling.

Another idea I'm chiseling out with VW is a game like Cabal, SWAT,NAM '76, etc. I noticed that this game (VWBASICRPG) could be played comfortably with a mouse in emulation (not sure about a serial mouse with an Atari!?) and the little bulb went off for a Cabal-esque shooter where the screen scrolled left and right from a middle point while bad guys appear in the background as targets that 'choot atcha.

VWBASIC is a seldom adopted hidden gem that could bring about some very entertaining and worthwhile software rapidly! It's scrolling 'engine' could bring about newer versions of games resembling Defender (as shown in a demo with VWBASIC using very few lines of code), or maybe Choplifter, by looping, OR (like in this demo), to make smooth, fast-scrolling adventure-RPG styled games!

If PowerShell scares you, or you can't operate outside of an IDE then look away..

If you want an extremely easy and intuitive BASIC with features not often harnessed with such ease...

scrolling playfield

built in music & sound generator

more variables than you can shake a bottle of Aspirin at!

programmatic coding (drop in the code and it happens!)!

lightning fast compiling

easy Stella integration with Powershell to edit and test on the fly!

...look no further!!

• Like 2

Thanks! I'm hoping to use up some of these 'infinite' variables to trigger layer after layer of different levels. Using the background colors to 'disappear' the little above-world textures I will have varying degrees of floor-textured rooms and single color background levels. I'm thinking of having little towns or rooms at many of the hotspots this way. I don't know if I want the little guy to shoot like a Zelda clone or run into RPG battles or maybe a bit of both.

The main character is two colors layered with some pixels overlapping for a third color (a funner aspect of the VCS). The objects are sprites.

Once you get the hang of how to work the visible area of VWBASIC it's really quite good for scrolling.

Another idea I'm chiseling out with VW is a game like Cabal, SWAT,NAM '76, etc. I noticed that this game (VWBASICRPG) could be played comfortably with a mouse in emulation (not sure about a serial mouse with an Atari!?) and the little bulb went off for a Cabal-esque shooter where the screen scrolled left and right from a middle point while bad guys appear in the background as targets that 'choot atcha.

VWBASIC is a seldom adopted hidden gem that could bring about some very entertaining and worthwhile software rapidly! It's scrolling 'engine' could bring about newer versions of games resembling Defender (as shown in a demo with VWBASIC using very few lines of code), or maybe Choplifter, by looping, OR (like in this demo), to make smooth, fast-scrolling adventure-RPG styled games!

If PowerShell scares you, or you can't operate outside of an IDE then look away..

If you want an extremely easy and intuitive BASIC with features not often harnessed with such ease...

scrolling playfield

built in music & sound generator

more variables than you can shake a bottle of Aspirin at!

programmatic coding (drop in the code and it happens!)!

lightning fast compiling

easy Stella integration with Powershell to edit and test on the fly!

...look no further!!

Awesome post Papa! :)

I tried the RPG on my Vader and I see extra color in the character - the textures are enhanced too, nice effects!

Thank you for the fantastic feedback on VWBASIC, great overview! :)

Looking forward to seeing more of the RPG and the Cabal-esque shooter! :)

• Like 1