IGNORED

Arcade games that need a PSN/Xbox Live/3DS release

D.Daniels

I believe that if those B-sides to Ridge Racer (almost 24 years old) and Outrun (over 30 years old) were commercially viable, they would be in wide release already.

Why not play them like the makers of those videos did? MAME is free and I suspect these games don't need a ton of juice to run decently. I might give them a spin later, thanks to your recommendation.

Got no PC? Well, Outrun and Power Drift have fabulous remakes on the 3DS eShop, and Ridge Racer is on just about every console made between 1995 and 2006.

• Like 1

I would love an Out Run compilation for modern consoles.... include the old arcade games, console exclusives, and update Out Run 2006 to use the hi-def game engine from Online Arcade. Would be an instant purchase for me. Unfortunately, when their Ferrari license expired, Out Run Online Arcade was delisted and I don't know if Sega would attempt a new product that required re-licensing.

I'd also like to see Irem Arcade Hits for PC released on current consoles. It's one of my favorite retro arcade compilations. An update to the Wii's Data East compilation or the Taito Legends series would be nice too.

Not sure how many individual arcade games would be commercially viable... even as cheap downloads... but I'd love to see more arcade compilations released for current gen systems.

• Like 2

A real Sega arcade comp with as many of their arcade games that would be feasible. I'm talking spanning decades; I want every Zaxxon, every Outrun, Head On, Sub Hunt, AB Cop, anything and everything up to newer stuff like Planet Harriers, the Yu Suzuki racer that was never ported home (can't think of the name off hand), the Ambulance game that was a precursor to Crazy Taxi... not just the usual suspects of After Burner, Space Harrier and Outrun. I love those games, but we already have ways to play them.

The goddamn Outfoxies! I NEED IT

A wacky Data East comp. would be great. The Wii one only scratched the surface, but I think some of the properties are split between owners now. Would also love a real solid IREM comp. including NINJA BASEBALL BATMAN, for god's sake.

I love arcade games, and the more I can play on my TV with my controller of choice without sitting at my desk PC, scrolling thru 60,000 fruit machines in MAME, the better.

• Like 2

a modest proposal

choose some faves, hide the others

bring your PC to the TV with a long HDMI cable

done

yeahhhhhhhhh... I mean, you could do that. I could go hook up the communal laptop to the tv and do that, I suppose. But I have a PS2, 3 and 4 hooked up to the TV for a reason, y'know? Also, the easier that something is, the more likely the missus is to play or to play with me.

• Like 1

I have many little things that can play games ... Keatah's not wrong, it's nice to have one kick-ass computer that can run everything. I just liquidated an old laptop I was using for backups and photos, and took my desktop to the office (away from the TV where it was), threw in a 4TB drive, and look forward to going to town on stuff like Sega Model 3 games that can't run on wimpy hardware.

You have to really want it. If you're truly lazy, simply watching YouTube videos of others playing games will suffice.

and I do believe that's how this thread started!

• Like 1

I have thought about going full Keetah and building an emulation machine / media server for the living room, permanently hooked up. However, I have many flaws... main being that I'm a lazy, lazy man. :)

you could try a raspberry pi, but people here have said that the emu isn't very good with I think 32x onward

I have many little things that can play games ... Keatah's not wrong, it's nice to have one kick-ass computer that can run everything. I just liquidated an old laptop I was using for backups and photos, and took my desktop to the office (away from the TV where it was), threw in a 4TB drive, and look forward to going to town on stuff like Sega Model 3 games that can't run on wimpy hardware.

You have to really want it. If you're truly lazy, simply watching YouTube videos of others playing games will suffice.

and I do believe that's how this thread started!

Hell yeah, I want someone else to do the work and put it on PS4/Xbox/Switch lol

but Ive tried mame and its not easy to get 3D rom's working, but if you really want it you can learn it as you say. But like DJ said its nice to be able to just play a game via your console and TV. And their are a lot of retro games coming out at the moment for console stores. We just want the more obscure ones, but I suppose their no profit in that so we get Mega man again.

Edited by D.Daniels

My real dream, which won't be realized because I believe again the properties may be split and the company doesn't really exist anymore would be the COMPILE compilation, with every version of Zanac, Aleste and any spin offs (Blazing Lazers, Spriggan). I own a lot of these, but don't have stuff like the MSX games, the very expensive Game Gear Alestes /Power Strikes, the Europe only Power Strike II on the SMS, etc. Have like M2 put this together and I would be the happiest shump fan around. Droooooooooooooool.

• Like 1

My real dream, which won't be realized because I believe again the properties may be split and the company doesn't really exist anymore would be the COMPILE compilation, with every version of Zanac, Aleste and any spin offs (Blazing Lazers, Spriggan). I own a lot of these, but don't have stuff like the MSX games, the very expensive Game Gear Alestes /Power Strikes, the Europe only Power Strike II on the SMS, etc. Have like M2 put this together and I would be the happiest shump fan around. Droooooooooooooool.

Its annoying as hell when its not a hugely popular company. Even know Compile are known.

But most collections have to make profit. I wish the games industry would just allow older properties to be freeware.

Our intention to play older games is surly better than them rotting away.

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 1

Definitely Planet Harriers. I still look around every once in a while to see if anyone's ported that to anything and I can't believe it hasn't been done. It's the modern sequel to Space Harrier - how do we not have *any* way to play this game at home or even on a handheld?

I played it just once, but for about 2 hours straight in an arcade, and it was one of the most most amazing arcade games I ever played. I'm not sure if it'd hold up now, but I'd love to try it again. I've watched some YouTube videos and wondered why I liked it *so* much at the time, but I think it's one of those games that you don't really get a feel for unless you're playing it. (That's true of a lot of rail shooters, I think.) I remember it feeling totally nuts while I was playing it.

• Like 1

It's kind of a drag so many later arcade machines don't seem to have made it home. I once thought the Star Wars Trilogy from Sega would make a good Dreamcast game. Nope. I suspect it's the same with Planet Harriers, which looks VERY Dreamcastey to me.

I suspect they were considered to arcadey-shallow to hold up at home. That's what a lot of people said about the early Sega Genesis ports of Super16 games.

• Like 1

It's kind of a drag so many later arcade machines don't seem to have made it home. I once thought the Star Wars Trilogy from Sega would make a good Dreamcast game. Nope. I suspect it's the same with Planet Harriers, which looks VERY Dreamcastey to me.

It was a Hikaru game, so the DC wouldn't have had an arcade-perfect port, but I do remember that there *was* a port in development at one point shortly after I played the arcade game and I got all excited about it. In fact, I pretty clearly remember that it was going to be packaged with either an updated Emergency Call Ambulance or Brave Firefighters. But it was canceled as the DC's fortunes faltered.

I found a reference to this on Spong.com, where it says this was going to be part of "a batch of re-releases described as a “thank you to the Dreamcast fans.”" I don't remember if any other releases in that batch ever came out, or if they were all shelved.

• Like 3

I can already steal all the old games and run them in MAME so I'm not interested in paying rights holders to bring those same games to current consoles. I would however like to see more updated versions of the games along the lines of 1942: Joint Strike, Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3, Pac-Man Championship Edition and NBA Jam: On Fire Edition.

I can already steal all the old games and run them in MAME so I'm not interested in paying rights holders to bring those same games to current consoles. I would however like to see more updated versions of the games along the lines of 1942: Joint Strike, Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3, Pac-Man Championship Edition and NBA Jam: On Fire Edition.

its annoying as NBA JAM: On fire edition which I had is PS3/360 but they don't bother transferring it to PS4/XB1

Edited by D.Daniels

but was it on actual arcade hardware or is that just a 2600 in cabinet, I always thought arcades used dedicated hardware

(I created this thread so I can derail it a little lol)

There was an arcade version of Warlords. See the link that negative1 posted.

• Like 1