IGNORED

Tips for buying a PS3?

boxpressed

So I'm in the market for a PS3. Based on what I've learned already from some YT videos, I'm pretty sure that I want the PS3 Slim. I can get one of these for around $70 from a local pawn shop. It comes with wireless controller.

My question is what other things should I be looking for/checking out on the console and controller?

I'm in no rush, so I passed on two units already. The first was missing two plastic feet, which left exposed screws. This made me think that the unit had been opened. The second unit had all of its vents plugged with brown dust.

But other than those obvious things, I don't know what else to target.

The pawn shop lets you test the unit with a game, so what is the best (and simplest) game to test the system and controller with? Thanks for any advice.

I think you're right in going with a PS3 Slim (my PS3 Phat died on me like 90% of other people), but beyond that I don't think there's much specifically to look for. The Slim is a pretty simple system - the cost-cutting in this case led to a less premium-feeling system but one with less that can go wrong.

As for the controller, I think you can probably pretty much tell whether you're dealing with a good one or not. PS3 controllers are nice and tight when new, then progressively loosen up as they get used. By the end, they may be so loose as to be basically unusable. They also get shiny and the various coatings wear off, so that as soon as you touch it your hands and thumbs are sliding all over the place. This would all be pretty obvious from the start, though.

Also, this *shouldn't* be an issue with a Slim, but make sure you're getting a Dualshock 3 and not a Sixaxis controller. The Slim only ever came with DS3's, but a pawn shop might mix up whatever they have on hand.

• Like 1

Also, this *shouldn't* be an issue with a Slim, but make sure you're getting a Dualshock 3 and not a Sixaxis controller. The Slim only ever came with DS3's, but a pawn shop might mix up whatever they have on hand.

That's good to know. Is the Sixaxis incompatible with the Slim or just inferior to the Dualshock 3?

That's good to know. Is the Sixaxis incompatible with the Slim or just inferior to the Dualshock 3?

It has no rumble. Sony was in some kind of patent dispute with the originator of the technology when the PS3 first launched, so they just stripped it out. The DS3 adds it back.

There are of course people who like the Sixaxis better (there's always a group that likes anything), because it *is* lighter and not everybody even cares for the rumble effect. But the DS3 is the "real" PS3 controller that Sony always intended.

I have two DS3's and one Sixaxis (leftover from my original fat PS3) and the Sixaxis basically never gets used.

The DS3's do still say "Sixaxis" below "Dualshock 3" on the back, so just be aware of that. The Sixaxis controllers *only* say "Sixaxis".

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I had 3 FAT ones die on me, so I got a Super Slim last holiday for $70. So far it works great.

Looks for missing warranty sticker, avoid if it's missing.

Look at the charging port make sure that is not damaged, lots of kids just shove the connector in w/o care.

I have one six axis controller that it's not holding the charge, you can charge it and use it, but next day or so will discharge, in this case I would press the PS button to see if it turns on after few days.

Make sure it's clean, no dust on vents.

Check USB ports for damage, kids don't take care stuff.

My new PS3 had damaged Ethernet port, one pin was bent, I new before I got it, came to conclusion that I'll use wireless anyway.

Good luck

• Like 1

Our main one is a slim. Never had a problem with it.

We also have a 20 gig BC unit that still functions after all of this time. That gets lighter use and I mostly play PS2 games on it.

Come to think of it, I don't think we have had major problems with the Sony consoles (launch PS2 still works). The misery got saved for the Xbox 360.....

I had 3 FAT ones die on me, so I got a Super Slim last holiday for $70. So far it works great.

Looks for missing warranty sticker, avoid if it's missing.

Look at the charging port make sure that is not damaged, lots of kids just shove the connector in w/o care.

I have one six axis controller that it's not holding the charge, you can charge it and use it, but next day or so will discharge, in this case I would press the PS button to see if it turns on after few days.

Make sure it's clean, no dust on vents.

Check USB ports for damage, kids don't take care stuff.

My new PS3 had damaged Ethernet port, one pin was bent, I new before I got it, came to conclusion that I'll use wireless anyway.

Good luck

Great tips. Work got busy so I haven't had a chance to pick one up yet. $70 for a PS3 seems like a nice deal esp. since my latest console is a Wii. ?

I recommend the Super Slim based on the fact that it does not use a slot loading drive. I had a previous PS3 Fatty die on me with my GTA 4 disc inside and I had to take the whole thing completely apart to get the disc out. You won't have that problem with a Super Slim.

• Like 1

I finally picked up the PS3. The pawn shop had about four or five Slims and Super Slims out on a table. They were all $70 with a controller, HDMI cable, and power cord. Each one seemed to have something wrong with it, mostly missing rubber feet, which made me think that they had been opened. One had a Sony Recertified sticker on it, and I wasn't sure if it meant that that unit had been sent back for repairs. I told the salesman if he had a really clean unit in the back, I'm ready to buy it. He came back with a nice Slim model. The DS3 controller was in good shape too. I bought one game: Nino Kuni. It seems to work just fine. There were even a few purchased games linked to the console that I could download, including a couple of PS1 Oddworld games.

The PS3 says that I need to do a system update. Is it okay to say yes?

And should I wipe everything off the system, even if it means losing a few games? I haven't logged in to PSN or anything yet, just connected it to my wifi.

post-30018-0-62440400-1487200049_thumb.jpg

This Wii was also on the table for $30. I have a couple of Wiis, but one just stopped reading discs. I was in the market for another Gamecube-compatible model, but $30 was a bit too much especially since this one was missing the top cover. But I noticed that the controller was a gold one. The nunchuk is white but has a gold skin. So, I grabbed the Wii bundle too. Turns out that there are a lot of quality Virtual Console and Wii Ware games on it. So it was a nice buy.

post-30018-0-28922400-1487200060_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Huh - I was confusing the Slim and Super Slim! I guess I own a Super Slim! Well anyway, I haven't heard of any issues with the model you have; it's just those old fat ones that are problems.

I don't see any problem with updating the OS at this point... there was a time when I did really resist at the point when Sony broke "Other OS" support, but that's a long time ago now and I doubt you'll be running Linux on the PS3 now. I'm not sure the Slims ever supported that to begin with anyway. So you may as well update.

The super slim is the smaller one that has a top-loading Bluray drive (you slide it open by hand or by pushing a little button.) In my opinion the slim is the best model. The slim is much less likely to fail than the fat but doesn't feel as cheap as the super slim. Not that I dislike the super slim. It is still nice and there are brand new 500GB systems popping up for $150.

You should be able to update the sytem. I don't believe "Other OS" was still supported when the slim was released. If you decide you want a bigger hard drive you can upgrade it yourself with a 2.5" SATA drive of your choosing. That is possible with all models of PS3 including the 12GB model mentioned earlier. Also all PS3 systems plays PS1 games. Pop a PS1 disc in and go.