IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS Games - 8 Hidden Gems you need to play

Metal Jesus

The 3DS is obviously very popular and been out long enough to have a list of Hidden Gems for it. Here are 8 Nintendo 3DS games that are Hidden Gems that you will want to check out!

Game Shown:

Heroes of Ruin
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes
Pilotwings Resort
Frogger 3D
CrossWords Plus

I would love to know what other "hidden gems" you recommend on the 3DS, both retail releases and perhaps digital eShop games.

The 3DS is obviously very popular and been out long enough to have a list of Hidden Gems for it. Here are 8 Nintendo 3DS games that are Hidden Gems that you will want to check out!

Game Shown:

Heroes of Ruin
Azure Striker Gunvolt
Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions
Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes
Pilotwings Resort
Frogger 3D
CrossWords Plus

I would love to know what other "hidden gems" you recommend on the 3DS, both retail releases and perhaps digital eShop games.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection, bob's hidden gem sonic 2 isn't on there but there's sonic 1 and so many gems and its dirt cheap
Edited by D.Daniels

Awesome, at least 3 or 4 of these are games I definitely will pick up, as a relatively new 3DS owner.

I definitely second recommending the Sega 3D Classics collection - I know it's a shadow of what Japanese 3DS's got, but it's still got a ton of fun games that all work well with the 3D. It's one of the 3 games I currently have but it's the one I play the most. (Even more than Mario Land.)

I'm also partial to Super Monkey Ball, on every system it appears on. Love that game.

I definitely second recommending the Sega 3D Classics collection - I know it's a shadow of what Japanese 3DS's got, but it's still got a ton of fun games that all work well with the 3D. It's one of the 3 games I currently have but it's the one I play the most. (Even more than Mario Land.)

Once you fill in the gaps with downloads from the eShop, I think we got (or will get) just about everything Sega/M2 that came out in Japan.

Code of Princess, spiritual sequel to the Guardian Heroes games.

The only downfall is that the framerate suffers a bit, but it improves a lot if you can mod your New 3DS to take advantage of the faster CPU.

I'd have to browse through my collection to think up some more.

Honestly, it seems like most great games on the 3DS actually sold decently. Then of course, you have exceptions like Kid Icarus, which went out-of-print due to legal issues =| I still need to pick that one up.

Code of Princess, spiritual sequel to the Guardian Heroes games.

Whoa, that looks awesome. Just watched the trailer on YouTube. I do love Guardian Heroes and it does look a lot like it.

This has all finally got me a little excited about the 3DS. I got one of those $99 systems basically on a whim, but it's mostly just been collecting dust because I'm not a big Nintendo game fan, or that whole aesthetic that even a lot of third party developers seem to copy. But some of the games in this video and then some of the other suggestions in the thread are right up my alley.

Thanks for mentioning Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. Most gamers complained about the 3DS launch lineup, but this game is awesome and has probably been discarded because of its license. Plus it offers a ton of content; I played 50h+ and it has been for a long time my most played game on 3DS until Resident Evil: Revelations (80h+) and Monster Hunter.

By the way, the game was made by XCOM's creator Julian Gollop!

• Like 1

It's a pretty cool game, but hard to get used to if you're expecting it to be like Gollop's other stuff.

Looking through my pile of games, I think Steel Diver might need to be added to the list. It's a spiritual sequel to Radar Mission on the GameBoy, and an updated version of a tech demo from the early DS days. Probably wasn't worth paying full price, but it's cool enough to pick up on a discount.

Let me look through my eShop stuff... (this might be a bad idea)

My Nintendo Picross, a Zelda themed version that you can basically get for free.

Fairune, I wasn't expecting much from it, but I ended up playing through the whole thing in one sitting.

Dillon's Rolling Western, seems cool so far, but I need to play it more.

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, lots of cool minigames. Sadly, I don't think this one came to Europe.

The Guild Series, really fun, weird stuff, and goes on sale often. The more games you own, you can unlock bonus content.

Zombie Incident, awesome remake of a homebrew MSX title. Also benefits from New3DS CPU hacks.

Hmm, I see a lot of other games I want to name, but I feel like at this point, games like Shantae, Shovel Knight, RCR, and Steamworld hardly count as "hidden".

Or I have a lot of games that look really cool, but I haven't put much time into =|

• Like 1

Did you bother to watch the video? Cuz most people would consider 2D platformer Pac-Man Tilt to be a hidden gem

I think they may have meant hidden as unknown and less commercial, which is dependent on how we see hidden gems, I guess their are Mario hidden gem's, in the sense people may have bypassed a lesser known Mario title back in the day, so you could make a 1000 video's of what constituents a hidden gem and people will differ as to opinions, I would say usually a hidden gem should be less commercial but like with the Sega 3d collection, it can still be a hidden gem if it offers something unique in a commercial sense

Edited by D.Daniels

I think they may have meant hidden as unknown and less commercial, which is dependent on how we see hidden gems.

Hidden Gems are definitely a moving target and change over time. If I was to tell a 20 something gamer about this amazing RPG in the 1990s called Planescape Torment or killer FPS game called Sin, they would look at me with a blank face. But older gamers remember those games fondly and they were widely covered in the media at the time.

Hidden Gems are definitely a moving target and change over time. If I was to tell a 20 something gamer about this amazing RPG in the 1990s called Planescape Torment or killer FPS game called Sin, they would look at me with a blank face. But older gamers remember those games fondly and they were widely covered in the media at the time.

lol very true, even when game sack joked that sonic 2 was a hidden gem, I guess it is, especially to kids who have only ever played games since Xbox and PS2, so for younger people they have the whole 32, 16 and 8 bit generation as a hidden gem forest

Edited by D.Daniels
  • Like 2

lol very true, even when game sack joked that sonic 2 was a hidden gem, I guess it is, especially to kids who have only ever played games since Xbox and PS2, so for younger people they have the whole 32, 16 and 8 bit generation as a hidden gem forest

Couldn't have said it better myself!

• Like 1