IGNORED

What parts do I need to fix this 5200?

dino999

I need to replace the two parts indicated by the yellow arrows in the picture below. Yes, I realize the A26 chip is wrongly oriented.

To be more specific, I am referring to the turquoise and mustard yellow parts. They are some type of capacitors, correct? If you know the type and specifications of each, please be specific when describing the parts I should get.

Also, should I use alligator clip heat sinks when soldering in the replacements?

Link to full resolution pic --> http://i.imgur.com/dJmLSgI.jpg

dJmLSgIl.jpg

Edited by dino999

• 1 month later...

According to the service manual...

C47 = Capacitor Ceramic Axial .l uF (50V)

C49 = Capacitor Ceramic Axial .01uF (50v)

These are the same values and caps regardless of model from what the service manual shows.

Is that what you were looking for?

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't think so no. I use a variable temp iron and do repairs like this on the 5200 and other consoles at about 300. Except the CV...those things are so fragile I don't go above 250 when working on those.

At least now I don't feel so bad about ruining a CV, lol

At least now I don't feel so bad about ruining a CV, lol

Yeah, I really don't like working on the CV. The traces are just so susceptible to heat it is crazy. There is a guy locally that does the +5 mod etc...and he finds it best to just use his hot air iron and flip the board over under the chips start to fall off. I now figured out that using my FR300 de-soldering iron, if I adjust it for the setting just a hair over 1 (Single layer board work), that it seems to do just fine without lifting traces. But I can't stress enough that if a chip won't come off easy, then you need to keep using solder and remove...solder and remove until those pins move freely.

The 5200 is actually pretty damn forgiving in that respect as it has lots of large traces that can literally take the heat. Only the 7800 borders on being a pain with traces though still not nearly as bad as the CV is...

• Like 1

Yeah, I really don't like working on the CV. The traces are just so susceptible to heat it is crazy. There is a guy locally that does the +5 mod etc...and he finds it best to just use his hot air iron and flip the board over under the chips start to fall off. I now figured out that using my FR300 de-soldering iron, if I adjust it for the setting just a hair over 1 (Single layer board work), that it seems to do just fine without lifting traces. But I can't stress enough that if a chip won't come off easy, then you need to keep using solder and remove...solder and remove until those pins move freely.

The 5200 is actually pretty damn forgiving in that respect as it has lots of large traces that can literally take the heat. Only the 7800 borders on being a pain with traces though still not nearly as bad as the CV is...

Yeah I had that issue where the controller direction didn't work so the IC for the controllers needed to be replaced. The traces pretty much melted away, lol.

I'll have to remember how fragile these things are. I didn't like working it the CV at all. I could see how the 5200 would be easy to repair, looks like a old computer motherboard, thick PCB and big traces.