IGNORED

Zero 5

Swansea_Mariner

Another great tech demo of sorts that's half-way fun to play. And yes, way too hard after a while, so am glad there are cheats to skip the levels. Once you skip through and try 'em all though, you've seen it all. Nice to show friends that come over what the Jag is capable of, but other than that - will probably end up shelving, only to dust the box off once in a while. Or not. :lol:

• Like 1

Spot on review:

http://www.atarihq.com/reviews/jaguar/zero_5.html

Cheats:

ZERO 5 (ZE5)
------
Cheat Codes:
At the Options screen, select Change Mission and highlight the high mission
to be unlocked. Hold Pause while entering code. Sound confirms.
Unlock Mission 1 0,5,0,5,0,5
Unlock Missions 1-2 6,8,9,2,1,4
Unlock Missions 1-3 1,2,2,1,6,9
Unlock Missions 1-4 6,7,6,3,9,6
Unlock Missions 1-5 4,9,3,1,7,5
Unlock Missions 1-6 3,2,9,7,8,1
Unlock Missions 1-7 7,4,8,6,2,7
Unlock Missions 1-8 2,4,9,3,4,7
Unlock Missions 1-9 (unknown)
Unlock Missions 1-10 2,7,6,5,4,9
Unlock Missions 1-11 1,0,7,8,4,0
Unlock Missions 1-12 2,9,7,4,3,0
Unlock Missions 1-13 9,2,1,7,5,3
Unlock Missions 1-14 3,8,5,1,7,9
Unlock Missions 1-15 9,0,1,9,3,4

NOTE: Entering a mission-unlock code will lock all missions above and beyond
that one, even if you've previously unlocked them.

Other Jaguar cheats:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/228647-jaguar-cheats/

• Like 4

I remember that review from back in the day. The author does make some valid points. Some context in the '3D Galaxian' mode (e.g. a crosshair) might be helpful, and so would autofire. The lack of height on the radar in gun mode does add to the challenge, but not game breakingly so. The tunnel mode is grossly unfair at times...but after a while you'll learn the courses.

Despite the aforementioned flaws I made it through 80% of the game in under a week (maybe 10-12 hours of gameplay) when I first got the game on release. Sure, I died a lot, but personally as a very average gameplayer, it's one of those unfair old-school arcade style games you have to get better at with time or you'll get stuck. The feeling of accomplishment of getting through a level while just managing your three specials and scraping through with almost no energy is awesome.

I suspect the author of the review probably wasn't very good at it and got frustrated easily ;) That said, once I finally hit a wall toward the end, that was it. I peaked with my gameplay abilities back in the late 90s/early 2000s, so I doubt I'll get anywhere near that again.

Edited by skip
  • Like 1

To be honest,the difficulty and the speed of the game reminds me of F-Zero GX on the gamecube (a kickass but hard as hell racer).

Nope nope nope. I disagree. F-Zero GX is a game you can easily master with practice. (especially if you are a Nintendo fanboy like me and grew up with ALL the F-zeros.)

Zero 5 is just madness. I don't see how anyone could master it. The speed of the trench levels are just unbearable sometimes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I peaked with my gameplay abilities back in the late 90s/early 2000s, so I doubt I'll get anywhere near that again.

I so totally identify with this. While I haven't played the game, YT video is more than enough to convince me I don't even have to try to know I'd suck in this game :)

Perhaps it's easily playable after drinking two RedBulls or quadruple coffee ? Have you tried that ?

I find that certain action games are very easy when I chug a RedBull, but become utterly unplayable under normal (read:non-heart-attack) heart rate :)

• 1 year later...

I finally was able to beat this game after finding an invincibility code! Thank God. This game was super hard for me before that, I was never able to get past the first level.

This will be up there for me as one of the best Jaguar games, at least for the graphics. The gameplay itself is very repetitive tho, basically the same levels with new enemies added each time to make it longer. Probably could have been fine with 5 levels instead of 15.

Took me probably 3 hours of playing to beat all 15 levels even on easy mode with the invincibility code.

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 1