With the changes made in the last few days, the game Io has become quite playable, so I decided to post the current development version, 0.10, here.
Here's a quick description of some important screen elements:
* "Sulphur in HQ": Shows the current amount of sulphur in the HQ (you loose when this reaches 0, and the sulphur storage capacity of the HQ
* "Workers": Shows the number of free workers (i.e. those not currently working on a construction site) and the total number of workers
* "HQ Level": Current HQ level. Higher levels increase the amount of workers and the sulphur consumption. You win the level by increasing this to 10.
* "Toolbar": Shows the currently selected tool (same as cursor) and a clickable list of tools (you can also change the tool by using the right fire button). At certain moments,such as after changing the tool, the toolbar is briefly replaced by a display of the name of the new toll.
* "Sulphur Source": Provides sulphur. The suplhur can be supplied to other storage locations, such as your HQ, when there is a road or rail connection.
* "Rock": Construction is not possible here.
* "Sulphur vent": Can be turned into a Sulphur Source by building a depot on top of it.
* "Debug Info": Just some data to help me during development. Does not affect gameplay
The main aspect of the game is to supply enough sulphur to your HQ by building a transportation network consisting of sulphur sources, depots, roads and rail. At the start of the game, you should first connect your sulphur source to the HQ. Rail connections have higher capacity than roads, but need more time to construct. One unupgraded sulphur source supplies enough sulphur for one idle worker. Busy workers need twice as much.
When the cursor is a above a node (HQ, depot, source) of the transportation network, the toolbar is replaced by a status display:
It shows the current amount of sulphur in the node, the maximum capacity and the level of the node (higher levels have higher capacity).
The difficulty level affects the game in various ways:
* Starting amount of sulphur in HQ
* Storage capacity at HQ
* Amount of rocks on the map
* Frequency and severity of threats
There is an older thread on the previous development of Io.
When released, the game will come in yellow cartridges.
Improvements over the previous version 0.9:
* Blink background on threat
* Level loading infrastructure
* Level editor (not part of the game)
* First level
* Fix destruction of railway curve construction sites
* Fix bankruptcy in two-player mode
* Fix demolition of railway curves
* Fix tool selection on lower toolbar
* Earthquakes (destroying infrastructure, opening new sulphur vents, closing old ones, toggling rock in places where rock is optional)
* More levels (with later levels possibly in a futuristic setting on Io instead of Earth)
* Performance optimization?
* Volcanic eruptions (similar to earthquakes, but affecting larger areas at a time)
* Roller controller support
* Sound or music
* Savegame codes