Photo

New power supplies for the ColecoVision?

36 replies to this topic

#26 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:46 AM

We're currently working on a small plug that goes into the Colecovision (no modification needed) which has a Micro-USB port.

You can then simply use a normal Micro-USB AC Adaptor to power your Colecovision.

We have prototypes and will start to work on cases in September, so production should be possible within this year :)

#27 DadsGlasses OFFLINE  

DadsGlasses

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 10:51 AM

How does this Supply the 12v line?

Is any modification required to the ColecoVision?

#28 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 11:40 AM

How does this Supply the 12v line?

Is any modification required to the ColecoVision?

By using a Step-Up regulator. The ColecoVision won't need a mod.

When it's finished, you just plug it into the AC Port of the ColecoVision and connect that to a 2A Micro USB AC adaptor.

#29 DadsGlasses OFFLINE  

DadsGlasses

Star Raider

• 50 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 12:11 PM

Boom. Count me in. Let me know when preorder sign ups go live.

#30 Zonie ONLINE  

Zonie

Stargunner

• 1,650 posts

Posted Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:02 PM

"AC" port on a Colecovision???

... and the -5V?

#31 SiLic0ne t0aD OFFLINE  

SiLic0ne t0aD

River Patroller

• 2,113 posts
  • Rock 'N Roller, Space Patroller

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 11:15 AM

Cool, im interested!

#32 Zonie ONLINE  

Zonie

Stargunner

• 1,650 posts

Posted Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:11 PM

The power port on a CV has four pins:

GND

+5VDC

-5VDC

+12VDC

DC-DC converters would work,  But you still need to do that externally and provide a compatible connector. 

Are you making a plug with the DC-DC converters in a block of some sort that has +5V from the USB as it's sole power source? Can it even supply enough current? I'm just asking, I've never measured the amp draw on a CV, but The power supply was pretty large, and I do know that it was insufficient with one of the add on modules...

Are you connecting via pins 57-60 on the expansion port? That will work, but if so, will there be a passthrough connector to allow the use of expansion modules (SGM & Atari adapter.)

???

Edited by Zonie, Sun Aug 6, 2017 7:20 PM.

#33 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:29 AM

"AC" port on a Colecovision???

... and the -5V?

Yes, I know ;) I always say "AC" port, even if it's totally wrong... as most people think of the power connector :)

My bad.

The -5V are being created by a DC-DC Inverter.

Are you making a plug with the DC-DC converters in a block of some sort that has +5V from the USB as it's sole power source? Can it even supply enough current? I'm just asking, I've never measured the amp draw on a CV, but The power supply was pretty large, and I do know that it was insufficient with one of the add on modules...

Well, I only have a normal CV for testing here (no addons), and a flashcart (which uses more power than a normal game, so it's a good test).

The prototype samples are on the way to me, so I can test them soon :)

The CV power supply provides 0.9A with 5V (= 4.5W), 0.1A with -5V (= 0.5W) and 0.3A with 12V (= 3.6W). Alltogether, that's 8.6W.

If you use a 2A USB-Adaptor, you have 5V * 2A = 10W in theory, so that's already more than the CV Power supply provides.

There are even 3A Adaptors out there, which can provide 15W.

Sure, you've got a bit of loss with the conversions, but these losses are known thanks to the datasheets. 1.8A should be enough to provide the same power the CV power supply provides.

We'll find out how well it works in reality as soon as the adaptors arrive here :)

#34 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 4:30 AM

Are you connecting via pins 57-60 on the expansion port? That will work, but if so, will there be a passthrough connector to allow the use of expansion modules (SGM & Atari adapter.)

I never had any of those modules, so I'm not sure how they work.

Did they need something else except for the original CV power supply?

#35 -^CrožBow^- ONLINE  

-^CrožBow^-

River Patroller

• 4,995 posts
  • Collector of Fine Atari and Sega Antiquities!

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 10:41 AM

This is an excellent idea! So that I understand, this would be a custom made cable with the standard USB type A on one end going into a cell phone charger, and the other end would contain basically a box with the needed inverters/converters within it and then that would go out to the standard power plug that is on the CV already? 

In my case I've already modded my CV with the +5 volt ram, so the -5 isn't needed on mine anymore. That would provide even less stress if any to the cell phone charger.

#36 EvilDragon17 OFFLINE  

EvilDragon17

Space Invader

• 12 posts

Posted Mon Aug 7, 2017 11:44 AM

This is an excellent idea! So that I understand, this would be a custom made cable with the standard USB type A on one end going into a cell phone charger, and the other end would contain basically a box with the needed inverters/converters within it and then that would go out to the standard power plug that is on the CV already? 

In my case I've already modded my CV with the +5 volt ram, so the -5 isn't needed on mine anymore. That would provide even less stress if any to the cell phone charger.

Yes, exactly :)

I'm planning to put this into a plastic case about the same size as the original CV plug, so it's basically the same size as the original plug but with a MicroUSB connector instead of the cable.

It works internationally, as no AC connector is included (and it's easy to get your own USB Adaptor + MicroUSB Cable anywhere, in case you don't have one yet).

I had the idea when I wanted to play with my Colecovision and tried looking for a proper Power Supply, as mine is busted as well.

An ATX power supply works, but is inconveniently big :)

And as I didn't find any (but a lot of people looking for one), I thought that there should be a way to produce one.

#37 HDTV1080P OFFLINE  

HDTV1080P

Chopper Commander

• 219 posts

Posted Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:24 PM

I was thinking about someone should just make a cable power adapter for the ColecoVision. I am glad that someone finally is doing it. Since the Coleco power supply is out of production. This is the most logical idea, beats taking the system apart and hardwiring a power supply into the ColeocVision.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users