Recommended Joystick ?

31 replies to this topic

#26 Jess Ragan ONLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,396 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:32 PM

Got all my arcade joystick parts in today and I put one together for less than $25.00 US.

I decided to make just an atari extension cable and  use a male 9 pin on the joystick too so I can if I want move it and use it on my Raspberry Pi Emulation station too..

• Cost of the Joystick and 2 buttons (I only used one) was $17.00 US
  • Had some 9 conductor wire already (only need 6)
  • Had the connectors on hand
  • bought a small box enclosure for $3.00 US that's Hinged and has a magnet to keep it closed.

Took about an hour.  Hardest thing was lining the joystick shaft in the center of the 1/2 hole I drilled.  The joystick is from Adafruit and so is the button.

Here some pics.  I am going to paint it and put some rubber feet on it.  But it works great.

You get that box from Jo-Ann Fabrics? That's what I did when I made a spinner several years ago. The nice thing is that the wood (presumably balsa or compressed sawdust) is soft enough that you can cut into it without needing a drill.

More recently, I made a spinner using a Sterilite container and the drive head from an old VCR. Works a lot better, although I had to load the bottom down with coins to give it weight.

#27 AuTomato OFFLINE  

AuTomato

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 PM

I prefer my home grown sticks but if you're handy and can build an adapter I really like the pistol grip joysticks from the Bally Astrocade.

I'm a big fan of home-rolled sticks as well. I just finished doing a retrofit on a third party Sega Genesis gamepad that I'm pretty happy with. This version is just an experiment, the next step is going to be a perfboard+3D printed enclosure with tactile switches. This round was mainly to see if TI99 games felt "wrong" with a gamepad instead of a joystick. I hate to say it, but I actually kinda like the gamepad better and my stick is a custom-build with an arcade machine stick and button.

#28 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,636 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:06 PM

You get that box from Jo-Ann Fabrics? That's what I did when I made a spinner several years ago. The nice thing is that the wood (presumably balsa or compressed sawdust) is soft enough that you can cut into it without needing a drill.

More recently, I made a spinner using a Sterilite container and the drive head from an old VCR. Works a lot better, although I had to load the bottom down with coins to give it weight.

I actually got the box from HobbyLobby. Cheap and easy to work with.

#29 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Star Raider

• 83 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 AM

Honestly, I just use the standard TI joysticks.

Apparently I don't hate my hands as much as you hate yours.  ;-)

#30 Jess Ragan ONLINE  

Jess Ragan

Phanto of the Opera

• 9,396 posts
  • Keys and Thank You

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:52 AM

No kidding! Those things are tremendously horrendous!

#31 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,243 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:22 AM

Apparently I don't hate my hands as much as you hate yours.  ;-)

No kidding! Those things are tremendously horrendous!

This image has been floating around for awhile now... but it still applies!

gallery_35324_1027_218785.jpg

#32 AuTomato OFFLINE  

AuTomato

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:43 PM

I actually got the box from HobbyLobby. Cheap and easy to work with.

The two stores are approximately the same. Joann's has much more in the way of fabrics, and Hobby Lobby has much more in the way of basically everything else. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users