IGNORED

The Celery Game (2600)

atari2600land

So I am almost calling this game completed. Right now I am asking for feedback on what I could do to make the game better. In this game (in case you don't know), the idea is to get the highest score. You guide the incinerator (the blue box) with either a joystick or a paddle. The small celery should be avoided by the incinerator, while you make the evil vegetarians enter and get burned to a crisp. I would like to keep it at 2k and I have a little less than 100 bytes left for changes.

celery20160206v2.zip

While the giant celery stalk cracks me up, I wonder if only using 2/3 of the screen for the game action is the best choice? I like the tiny celery chunks and vegetarians (I wonder what made them so evil?), and I think the character rendering on all them is great. The game play is really simple (as expected for 2K). The one-and-done makes the game unforgiving and the dramatic speed ramp guarantees a quick demise if you aren't careful. Not really sure if there is much to do to improve. I'd like maybe a power-up or something that could prolong the game, doesn't have to be an extra life, but maybe invincibility or a miss-a-vegetarian forgiveness. Not sure if that is possible with 2K.

Fixed a few bugs. In order to get it all to fit in 2k, I had to change the song a little bit. No high scores though, I have 1 byte left!

Unzipped files:

BIN:celery45.bin

Source File:celery45.asm

Shared with the Atari 2600 Homebrew group on FaceBook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Atari2600homebrew/

Edited by neotokeo2001

Updated: Works properly after adding the game back on so may have been just a fluke.

*** Possible Harmony cartridge warning *** A member on FaceBook had the following issue, "Gave it a try on harmony and got a initializing screen and couldn't get any further. Deleted file and my harmony was back to normal." Anybody have this problem?

Edited by neotokeo2001

*** Possible Harmony cartridge warning *** A member on FaceBook had the following issue, "Gave it a try on harmony and got a initializing screen and couldn't get any further. Deleted file and my harmony was back to normal." Anybody have this problem?

Works fine here:

post-3056-0-63837900-1486826713_thumb.jpg

As does the build where I revised the lives indicator:

post-3056-0-92393900-1486826719_thumb.jpg

It uses the standard CLEAN_START macro to initialize the system.

Spiceware was using his latest changes version where he changed the dots into numbers. I went ahead and built upon that version to change a few things and the result is version 46, which is here:

I did test your latest build as well ;) I'm glad the new lives indicator worked out for you!

I'm going to be the only one who actually likes the blocks representing the extra lives instead of numbers. But that's impossibly minor and I'm in the minority of one on that one.

I guess my only gripe at this point is difficulty, or lack thereof. Whereas I was losing immediately with only 1 life, I'm now playing indefinitely with 3 lives. Maybe if the celery or humans all came at max speed after 100 pts or something it would make the game harder. As it is, since the difficulty is maxed at the start, once you get in rhythm, the game presents little challenge. Is it possible to ramp the speeds as the score increases? Or have more than one celery/human on the screen at the same time (a la Fast Food)? I realize you are working with 2K, so options are limited. Just thoughts. Could there be an endurance variation with only 1 life and then a regular variation with 3? Maybe that would do it?

I realize you are working with 2K, so options are limited.

He's at the point where it's time to do a round of optimizations. I took a quick look and was able to free up 14 bytes in less than a minute.

Agree on the difficulty ramp. Another thing I'd look at is when the celery/human hits the top/bottom have them [sometimes as opposed to always] change direction instead of losing their vertical movement.

He doesn't have vertical zones like Fast Food, that makes multiple objects much easier to do. Perhaps use 30 Hz flicker once the player gets past 100 points or so. That would let you have 2 objects instead of one - same as how Dodge 'Em uses flicker for 2 enemy cars in the later levels. Logic for 2 objects at 100 points would be very easy:

lda Score    ; check value in the thousandths and hundreths position of the score
  beq OnlyOneObject ; if its zero then only show one object
  ;2 object logic here
OnlyOneObject:

I freed up some room by getting rid of the black and white/color switch information. I now have 105 bytes to play with. I would have absolutely zero idea about how to make two items appear at once, but I did make the game faster once you reach 100 points. Also, I want to avoid flicker.

celery20170211v2.zip

Edited by atari2600land

Another thing I'd look at is when the celery/human hits the top/bottom have them [sometimes as opposed to always] change direction instead of losing their vertical movement.

I successfully did this. As it turned out, I had put the getting a random number function for the Bouncing variable in the wrong place. I didn't know there was a wrong place to put something like that, but oh well.

celery20170213.zip

Added back in the ability to play in black and white.

It took a while since the color palettes or something screwed up the timer of the incinerator entrance in b&w mode, so I had to figure that out and fix it. Let me know if you encounter any bugs.

celery20170213v2.zip

Added back in the ability to play in black and white.

It took a while since the color palettes or something screwed up the timer of the incinerator entrance in b&w mode, so I had to figure that out and fix it. Let me know if you encounter any bugs.

Looks good to me! Nice to have a black and white or color game for a change, as most Atari games do not do much when you hit the b/w-color switch

After doing a little testing, found out the scanline counter jumps to 263 once in a while. I don't know if this fixes it or not, let's test together. Open in Stella, and open the debugger, and type in

breakif {_scan>#262}

That way, if the scanline jumps to 263 (or higher), you would know about it because it would halt the game and go back to the debugger.

celery20170214.zip

• Like 1