Photo

f18a firmware update

31 replies to this topic

#26 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,474 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:22 PM

Damn... that was FAST.  Too bad we don't have the 1.8 update program on the FlashROM99 for the TI!

Come to think of it, while my HDMI TI is 1.8, my main system is still running 1.6.   I think I'll ask in the TI section.

#27 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,500 posts

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:07 PM

Will this work on an Adam as well?

I can't promise anything for Adam... mostly because I don't know what the compatibility issues are. I was told that Mario Bros didn't work on the Adam but I never got an opportunity to investigate why.

If it launches, it'll work. ;) Everything is carefully check-summed before it's committed. The host code does very little in this case, it just loads the updater to the F18A GPU and manages reading the joystick and cartridge banks.

#28 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,500 posts

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:11 PM

Damn... that was FAST.  Too bad we don't have the 1.8 update program on the FlashROM99 for the TI! Come to think of it, while my HDMI TI is 1.8, my main system is still running 1.6.   I think I'll ask in the TI section.

You should be able to run the updater from your CF card or your HDX?

It will never be on the FlashROM99 (at least as it's designed today). It takes more than 32k. The bitstream alone is 166k and there's another 45k of ROM data. :)

#29 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

--- Ω ---

• 9,474 posts
  • Location:Virgo Supercluster, Gould Belt in the Orion arm of Milky Way galaxy.

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 PM

Oh yeah, I could run it from a CF, HDX, HxC or a 3.5... I was kind of thinking about people that might not have totally expanded systems.

#30 digress OFFLINE  

digress

Dragonstomper

• 855 posts

Posted Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 AM

Cool. Thanks for making this tool. Now for the unexpected question. can i downgrade the firmware to an earlier version?

Doing some play testing and it would be interesting to see what happens if I had an earlier version of the firmware.

Anyways just causing trouble. Thanks for making this upgrade. It'll help keep everyone up to date so there won't be any compatiblitlity issues with new f18a games.

#31 matthew180 OFFLINE  

matthew180

River Patroller

• 2,208 posts

Posted Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:04 AM

This updater kicks ass, thank you Tursi for taking the time and effort to reorganize the code-base and make the updater more portable.  I might have a crack at porting to the MSX1 since I have one I can test with.

@digress: The updater will not down-grade the firmware, but if you have a JTAG programmer you can load any version you want.  I only keep the latest firmware available, but the old version might be kicking around the Internet somewhere.  If you down-grade below V1.6, then you are guaranteed to have problems since the V1.6 changes were pretty substantial.  However, in every firmware release I have fixed bugs, so it is always recommended to run the latest firmware.

#32 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

River Patroller

• 4,500 posts

Posted Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:35 PM

Apologies for the delay here, but work caught me off guard with some unexpected issues. However, that's done and I'm pleased to release the ColecoVision F18A updater for the 1.8 firmware.

Attached File  F18APureGPU_Coleco.rom   256KB   3 downloads

This is a 256k "megacart" style ROM, and I've tested it myself using the AtariMax SD cart.

It's had a few tests by myself and a couple of tests by Digress, so confidence is good, but I'd still like to hear a few more successes.

Over at Github the source code is available for porting: https://github.com/t...18aupdatecoleco

My goal with this project was to move the entire F18A update to the F18A GPU, so that the same code could be run on any system with the host only needing to provide a loader. The loader requires only keypresses and file data from the host machine.

Thanks to the careful checksumming and data CRC of the update code, writing the ColecoVision loader was fairly pleasant - bugs were extremely unlikely to damage the F18A. The data transfer is based on the TI disk access mechanism - if anyone takes a stab at porting it and finds the code a bit confusing, just let me know and I'll write up some better docs for you.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users