IGNORED

Lythium "All In One" Retro Console - Development Post

Lyth

Hi all,

As some of you may or may not know, I'm the founder of a small company which is finalizing development of a Retro Game Console, and soon to be launching on Kickstarter.

I've created this post here, as we believe it's important for us to connect directly with the community for transparency and development reasons.

We fully understand the past situations with other game consoles that created bad reputation for parts of the market, and that pushes us even more to provide a fantastic product to our customers.

Introduction of Myself

As some of you may have seen from my introduction post here, I'm a Canadian who has been living in China for the past 4 or 5 years. I'm a graduate of Computer Systems, and have been in the retro gaming community for about 10 years, most notably BenHeck and AssemblerGames. I'm from way back when people like Palmer Luckey were creating console portables, heh. Also, Like some of you, I grew up playing various retro consoles (most notably N64 and Genesis) with my family.

Previously, I've worked short contracts with Square Enix/BigPoint, Microsoft and Mockworld. For Square Enix/BigPoint, I was a community moderator for Gameglobe, and for Microsoft I was an EN/FR SEO coordinator on the Bing project. Lastly, for Mockworld, I was QC tech for their Shockwave based games.

I'm also a certified (TEFL/TESOL) English teacher, and previously have worked as a volunteer English teacher, as well as Foreign Leader at a few Middle Schools and extra-curricular facilities.

Introduction of RetroATK

RetroATK (short for Retro Attack), was founded by myself back in 2015, as way to start providing the growing retro game market with quality hardware. During these last 2 years, we've grown internally and have staff members in China, Germany and America. For example, our Engineer is known in some circles for creating various dumpers for NES, SNES, GBA, N64, NeoGeoPocket, and flash carts for GB and Wonderswan.

Our website is: https://www.RetroATK.com

*Please note, our website is currently pushing updates. So you may see some abrupt changes!*

Our Core Team

• Myself - Founder and Marketing
  • Peter (Byemu) - Engineer and Hardware Expert

• Carlos (Foxlet) - Software/Product Designer and Marketing

• Hameer (Habbasi) - Software Engineer & UI Developer

Hameer's Introduction

Hameer is a Pakistani engineer with a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and is currently pursuing a Master's in Information and Communication Engineering from TU Darmstadt, Germany. He has been programming as a freelancer for 3 years and has worked professionally for a year in the past.

Peter's Introduction

Peter, also known online as Byemu, is a hardware engineer, living in Shanghai, China. Peter has developed dumping hardware for consoles such as WonderSwan, N64, GBA, SNES and more, for the Japanese and Chinese market. He has also developed flash carts for the applicable systems as well.

Carlos' Introduction

Carlos is a software developer currently joining the RetroATK team to deliver the Lythium console according to the community's needs.

Our Product: Lythium

lythium-hires.pnglythium-pcb.jpg

Lythium is a stackable modular retro game console, that has been built from the ground up, with the retro community in mind. As you can see below, Lythium has 3 major modular components, which exist to fit the various needs of our customers.

Lythium Core is a USB based device which is capable of dumping SRAM & ROM, and can instantly play cartridges through our Windows/Linux/macOS client. While, the Lythium Controller Hub is a stackable add-on, to allow for native controller usage. Lastly, the Lythium Standalone box is a stackable add-on that allows the user to use Lythium on their TV, just like a traditional game console. So, no matter the situation, Lythium can fit your lifestyle.

Lythium was developed, to fill the needs of various retro gaming enthusiasts, which means it supports ROM & SRAM dumping out of box, from an easy to use interface. Additionally, it supports instant game playing through the Core & Pro bundle, as well as the option for dedicated controllers, through the Controller Hub.

Lythium supports a wide range of different consoles, and we aim to constantly add new console support to it, upon request from customers.

Lastly, Lythium's front-end software is multi-platform, and can run on Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. Lythium's software is created with the community in mind, and will be able to push screenshots, and other information to social media platforms. We are also aiming to provide small contests which the community can partake in, through our social media platforms, in order to encourage users to connect while playing.

Supported Consoles

• NES

• Famicom

• Master System

• SNES

• Super Famicom

• Genesis/Megadrive

• TurboGrafx 16 / PC-EngineGame Gear

• Gameboy/Gameboy Color

• Wonderswan / Wonderswan Color

• NeoGeo Pocket

• Gameboy Advance

• N64

• More Consoles possible upon Request!

Lythium Modules

• Lythium Core (Base module)
  • Lythium Controller Hub(s)

• Lythium Standalone

Lythium Bundles (Prices are preliminary)

• Lythium Core (Base Unit + All Cartridge Adaptors) - $120~ USD
  • Lythium Premium (Base Unit + All Cartridge Adaptors + Controller Hub) - $160~ USD
  • Lythium Pro (Base Unit + All Cartridge Adaptors + Controller Hub + Standalone Module + Homebrew Demo Cart) - $300~ USD

Specifications

• CPU: STM ARM @ 75 Mhz (Core), x86 CPU (Standalone)
  • Memory: 2GB (Standalone)
  • Storage: 32GB (Standalone) - Preliminary
  • Dimensions: 108 x 62 x 23mm (Core), 130 x 130 x 23mm (Standalone) - Sizes are Preliminary and subject to change.

• Modular Connector: Lythium Proprietary Connector

FAQ

Is Lythium just another "ARM Emulation Box"?

Fortunately, it is not. The ARM CPU on the Lythium Core base exists to handle PC to Lythium communication, as well as interfacing Lythium with Cartridge side. We chose the STM ARM processor to handle these tasks, as it is flexible enough to do so. Additionally, the Lythium Core base PCB is custom designed, and the firmware running on it is custom made.

So, in other words, the Lythium Core base is not an "off the shelf product that runs Linux". It is designed entirely from the ground up, by our team. The Lythium Core uses your computer's hardware as it's performance platform, and the Standalone base uses our x86 compatible platform.

Additionally, the Lythium Standalone Base uses an x86-based system integrated with our software, powerful enough to give users an excellent gaming experience. The software for Lythium Standalone is not locked down or TIVOized, and able to be changed to a third party software.

Why Kickstarter?

Currently our product is past the prototype stage, and Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to generate interest and customers. This allows us raise funding directly for meeting mass production scale, while retaining exclusive rights over our product. In other words, this allows us to raise funds directly from the community, so we retain creative control, which doesn't always happen if you seek private investment at this stage.

It's also worth mentioning that Kickstarter gives us a platform to share our progress, and connect to a large scale of customers, effectively and concisely.

Why is the cost so low, compared to other similar consoles?

We are working directly with component manufacturers, to provide high quality components for a reasonable price. Additionally, we have a strong relationship with many of our parts manufacturers, due to our staff members working with them for many years, to date. Lastly, since we have a team in China, we are able to communicate directly with the manufacturer, and bypass any middle man or service.

Why different versions of Lythium?

As mentioned, Lythium is the first truly modular retro gaming console. Right out of the box, this allows for customers to "build their setup" in the way that they want. We realize that different customers require different setups, depending on their lifestyles, and this allows us to provide that.

All Lythium bundles ship with the Core module. Additionally, we will sell the other modules separately, so you can upgrade your experience as you see fit.

Why modular?

Designing our console to be modular, goes hand in hand with the reason for having different versions (see above). However, a modular design also allows us to continuously develop new add-ons for the console, therefore extending the feature set of the console.

Also, Lythium is designed and developed with the community in mind. So in turn, we are open to idea of third party add-ons, created by the community, that can connect directly to Lythium.

What's the current stage of Lythium?

Currently, we have finished 2 major prototypes of our PCB board, and are finalizing our release candidate version. Concurrently, we are also finalizing our concept shell design and retail box. Lastly, we have finalized our beta version of our firmware and GUI.

As we develop our product, we will continuously post updates to this thread, to keep everyone in the loop!

What's the large scale plan for Lythium?

After our Kickstarter, we will prepare and set the console to be mass produced and marketed. This means, a high quality molded or CNC shell, with an eye catching retail box, as well as targeting online and retail customers. Additionally, we will be manufacturing under appropriate safety and quality certificates such as CE/UL and RoHS.

After this, you can expect to see us connecting with trade shows and conventions, as well as promoting the creation of third party addons. All of this is in order for us to really provide product that not only lives in the community, but also among it.

Lastly, we will continuously update the console's firmware and software to remove bugs, and add support, to create a more joyful gaming experience for our users.

What about the front-end software?

The front-end for Lythium is developed in Qt and is compatible with Windows, macOS and Linux. It uses libretro's API for its emulation back-end. Because of the nature of the libraries it uses, it will be licensed as GPLv3. This will allow the community to look into the software and analyze it.

On the standalone unit, the user can choose to install a modified firmware of their liking (although the resulting operation may not be supported), preventing Tivo-ization of the included Lythium software client.

We have gone through the trouble to make sure everything we are developing is legal and that we don't violate any licenses, open-source or otherwise.

What's the Future of RetroATK?

In the future, RetroATK will be entering the Hong Kong Cyberport or Science Park Initiative, in order to grow at a stable pace, and to increase our industry connections. Additionally, this will allow us to receive grant-based funding and seed mentorship, so we can become larger and more powerful.

And, As per our growth, we will also aim to provide additional products to the retro gaming community. In other words, you could see a portable version at some point. ;)

How can RetroATK avoid the problems encountered by previous crowdfunded retro consoles?

From day one of public presence, we are aiming to be as transparent as possible with the gaming community and backers. This is quite unprecedented, as some other developers have chosen to use marketing mumbo-jumbo and hide behind the walls of the internet. Additionally, we are developing our system with license agreements in mind, and are in compliance to license agreements.

Lastly, with the cooperation with the retro gaming community, and government initiatives, our presence will continuously grow and we will always stand by our community.

In other words, this all means we will continue to develop with the community in mind, while respecting the hard work that the community has done before us.

Edited by Lyth

I'm understanding that this is basically like a Retrode2 but with separate controller adapters; similar to the one that comes with the Retro Freak.

Separately you can buy that "standalone" unit which is some kind of x86 box running open-source libretro, but you don't have to.

The basic idea is that you use this hardware with PC/Mac software that is a frontend to emulators. Kind of converting your PC into a Retro Freak.

Am I right in this assessment?

The Retrode2 is cheaper with adapters, but it does not come with software so it's overall more fiddly.

It also only supports a few systems officialy: http://www.dragonbox.de/en/313-retrode2-with-all-plugins-retrode.html

retrode2-with-all-plugins-retrode.jpg

Edited by Newsdee
  • Like 1

Will the base cartridge dumper and controller adapter work with other emulators on a PC? Or will it be tied to the custom software?

Also how many / which cartridge adapters are planned on the base price?

It's quite interesting if it can support more systems than a Retrode2 for a PC.

Hi!

If you so choose, you can use Lythium as a ROM dumper with the provided software and then play those games with other emulators. As far as I can tell, the controller adapter will work with other emulators.

Also, every Lythium bundle includes cartridge adapters for every console that we support (see the above list). I've edited the first post to make this clear as well.

I'm going to keep an eye on this.

Great! I've got my eye on you as well! I see you.

Just kidding!

What's the problem this product wants to solve?

Many of us already have many ways to play old games.

What value does this add over classic hardware or pure software emulation?

Lythium provides users with a way to play and backup ROM + SRAM data from the cartridges that they own. This means users can continue their saved games, on cartridges they used to play, and relive moments. This is especially applicable to all of the cartridges that have SRAM batteries that may expire soon. People can backup their saved data, and keep it! It goes without saying, that users may own games for consoles they don't have, and Lythium gives them an "all in one" solution to that issue. Lythium in a sense, is a also some-what portable by design, as the user doesn't need a TV to operate and play on the Lythium Core system, and can use their laptop or PC.

Lythium also provides homebrew developers and enthusiasts, to use one device as their ROM + SRAM dumper and/or flasher. Additionally, Lythium can provide users a way of sharing their high scores (via screenshots), gameplay screenshots, etc, directly to social media.

We aim to have a strong feature-set at launch, and are happy to incorporate features that the community suggests.

I'm understanding that this is basically like a Retrode2 but with separate controller adapters; similar to the one that comes with the Retro Freak.

Separately you can buy that "standalone" unit which is some kind of x86 box running open-source libretro, but you don't have to.

The basic idea is that you use this hardware with PC/Mac software that is a frontend to emulators. Kind of converting your PC into a Retro Freak.

Am I right in this assessment?

The Retrode2 is cheaper with adapters, but it does not come with software so it's overall more fiddly.

It also only supports a few systems officialy: http://www.dragonbox.de/en/313-retrode2-with-all-plugins-retrode.html

In a nutshell, you are correct. I can't say much about what our competitors may provide, however, we aim to offer N64 and GBA connections at proper voltage (3.3V vs 5V).

Additionally, we officially support all of the above games and features (as stated in the first post), and are happy to have third party add-ons created for Lythium.

Lastly, our design incorporates a social media based feature-set, as well as the above mentioned modular aspect, to expand it's features and market, as we continuously develop with the community in mind.

In a sense, Lythium is a USB based cartridge interface, that can be used with your PC, or stacked on a module to make it a standalone console.

Edit:

It's late here in China, so I'll be off to bed now! My team members (Foxlet and Habbasi) will take over intermittently. There may be some delays in response, rest assured.

Edited by Lyth

Some Atari and maybe some Vectrex support would bring me in. It's a less ambitious project than Retroblox, but I have much more confidence that it will actually exist next year.

We might consider the addition of more consoles, specially if there is community interest. The firmware can be updated however, so it can still be added (with additional hardware) even if those systems aren't supported on launch.

We might consider the addition of more consoles, specially if there is community interest. The firmware can be updated however, so it can still be added (with additional hardware) even if those systems aren't supported on launch.

Thanks. Its just that most people aren't hurting for a way to play NES or Genesis games. I do like that you support OSX though. That alone will make me consider this.

• Like 2

Supported Consoles

• NES

• Famicom

• Master System

• SNES

• Super Famicom

• Genesis/Megadrive

• TurboGrafx 16 / PC-EngineGame Gear

• Gameboy/Gameboy Color

• Wonderswan / Wonderswan Color

• NeoGeo Pocket

• Gameboy Advance

• N64

• More Consoles possible upon Request!

Why do all these newer "modular systems" seem to start at 1985 onwards? I feel like there are PLENTY of options already to play NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBA/Etc games out there already, in fact, I have like 7 of them sitting on my desk from everything to the original systems, knock-off clones, RetroPie, Retron3/5, etc....

How about a system like this that supports PRE-1985 consoles?

Atari 2600/5200/7800, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Fairchild, Astrocade, etc...

I feel like there's been a glut of these machines announced or talked about lately and they all seen to do the same thing. Where's the multi-console-retro-system I can shove an Atari 2600 Pac-Man or a ColecoVision Donkey Kong cart into?

• Like 5

Why do all these newer "modular systems" seem to start at 1985 onwards? I feel like there are PLENTY of options already to play NES/SNES/Genesis/GB/GBA/Etc games out there already, in fact, I have like 7 of them sitting on my desk from everything to the original systems, knock-off clones, RetroPie, Retron3/5, etc....

Atari 2600/5200/7800, Intellivision, ColecoVision, Odyssey 2, Vectrex, Fairchild, Astrocade, etc...

I feel like there's been a glut of these machines announced or talked about lately and they all seen to do the same thing. Where's the multi-console-retro-system I can shove an Atari 2600 Pac-Man or a ColecoVision Donkey Kong cart into?

The non-sarcastic answer is that more existing hardware and software exists to support post-crash systems, so projects like this aren't starting from zero. Also, right or wrong, there is a perception that post-crash systems will be more profitable.

I'm annoyed too, but at least stuff like this represents a genuinely new approach. If I see one more "raspberry pi in a funny shell" Kickstarter I'm going to scream.

• Like 1

Lyth's use case of dumping your battery-saved game to a file makes sense to me, if you have a ton of old cartridges (I do), AND you're emotionally invested in something like that (I'm not). The pre-NES 8-bit games didn't save any data, so I don't see much utility outside of game development for hardware like this.

Maybe we'll get the older stuff once true FPGA systems like Kevtris's machine arrive on the scene.

• Like 2

Maybe we'll get the older stuff once true FPGA systems like Kevtris's machine arrive on the scene.

Yeah, I think that's the one I'm looking the most forward to out of these "multi-console" retro machines. Those older systems are the consoles that need it, IMO. Not the Nintendo/Sega 8-bit/16-bit stuff. And not that I'm not a Nintendo/Sega fan, I mean for me personally, those systems paid my rent in their glory days for many years, so I love them! But I seriously am looking around my office right now and I see 16 different machines that all play those games just fine. And those are just the ones that I have currently OUT and in the wild! There are plenty more in boxes in the closet! I'm not sure I need another one.

Because presumably they like money. :lolblue:

The post crash era audience is WAY bigger.

• Like 1

Like one other person has said, I like the multiple platform support. I sometimes get tired of having to boot into Windows or figure out a way to coax something to work in Crossover.

If things go well, this will cover more systems than the Retrode2 and might be available to the common folk that missed the pre-order window.

Because presumably they like money. :lolblue:

The post crash era audience is WAY bigger.

Agreed. But it's also more crowded. Then again, I say this as I am realizing that I have recently bought an NES AVS, Analogue Mini NT, and will most likely order the Retroblox, support this system's Kickstarter, and still need to pick up a Retron 5. And even with all of that newer hardware, this is still my prefered method of playing retro video games...

4DVM55X.jpg

• Like 1

Agreed. But it's also more crowded. Then again, I say this as I am realizing that I have recently bought an NES AVS, Analogue Mini NT, and will most likely order the Retroblox, support this system's Kickstarter, and still need to pick up a Retron 5. And even with all of that newer hardware, this is still my prefered method of playing retro video games...

4DVM55X.jpg

At what point do folks just settle on an upscaler, or all in one emulation box? "the Framemeister is way overpriced." then proceeds to spend hundreds on different retrons. How much do you envision spending in the future? There's no end in site to new developments, you'll never be satisfied. There's always going to be something new around the corner. Meanwhile I can stick with my original consoles. Maybe grab a new upscaler many years down the road, there isn't a bi-annual need to buy new hardware to run the same games I've been playing since 1990. These systems don't save space or money.

I get the feeling that a lot of Retron owners aren't even sure what they want. They say they buy it because they want to use their original carts, and then a large # ask if they can use flash carts....

MH7UeDW.jpg

which if you think about it for a few seconds, is the most convoluted way to envision running roms through an emulator. I don't see any of these modular systems filling an actual need, other than the feeling of purchasing a shiny new toy. Dumping actual carts isn't a demand that 99% of retro gamers are going to have. Your carts' roms are on the net, and accessible within seconds. Backing up game saves is a neat idea, but again I don't think that factors very much in the overall sale of these things.

The lack of emulation boxes that run off physical media wasn't a problem that needed solving.

• Like 4

If dogs ever take over the world, I hope they don't choose leaders according to size, because I bet there are some chihuahuas with good ideas.

• Like 3

there isn't a bi-annual need to buy new hardware to run the same games I've been playing since 1990. These systems don't save space or money.

I agree with this right here 100%! In fact, most of my Retron-like systems and other clones mostly sit in a box. I'm honestly not sure why I buy them other than they exist? I'm picking up an AVS and Mini NT mainly just to see how those systems handle HDMI (and to support the homebrewers that made them)

The lack of emulation boxes that run off physical media wasn't a problem that needed solving.

Agreed. Especially the "emulation" part of it. If someone would like to create some actual real hardware that will allow me to play physical carts that will replace my aging old hardware, that's another story. But IMO, if I need a system to play ROM files dumped from a cart, my Raspberry Pi does a fantastic job of that!

This is all very good and technical. What I, as a simple-minded consumer, would like is a system that would enable me to play my NES/SNES/GENESIS cartridges reliably. I do not want an emulator, I want to play the original carts. I do not mind new controllers, I am not dedicated to original hardware, but the option would be good. One system that could play all three of those systems would meet my needs perfectly.

Is Lythium the product for me?

(I would also really like to see a similar system that could play Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Intellivision, and maybe Atari 5200 games.)

Thanks

:spidey:

• Like 1

I agree with this right here 100%! In fact, most of my Retron-like systems and other clones mostly sit in a box. I'm honestly not sure why I buy them other than they exist? I'm picking up an AVS and Mini NT mainly just to see how those systems handle HDMI (and to support the homebrewers that made them)

Agreed. Especially the "emulation" part of it. If someone would like to create some actual real hardware that will allow me to play physical carts that will replace my aging old hardware, that's another story. But IMO, if I need a system to play ROM files dumped from a cart, my Raspberry Pi does a fantastic job of that!

Why do you torture yourself like that? :lolblue: Why not just mod your Famicom setup for RGB (or HDMI) and call it a day? Forgive me if it isn't already, that looks like composite video in the photo. You've got the raspberry Pi for everything else.

I like the concept behind something like the AVS, fast FPGA core with basically no lag and native HDMI. It's just the original cart thing I don't get. It would make way more sense to me if it was loading into memory from a rom library like any other emulation box.

If you're going to bother with original physical media, why come up short when it comes to the hardware? I just don't see the appeal. If you don't mind forgoing the original hardware, there should be no issue forgoing the original carts as well. It should be the other way around in my opinion, forgo the original media first before the hardware, which is why Everdrives are so popular. Being able to run hacks and translations on my original consoles is neat. Dumping my copy of whatever game to a emulator device and running the rom I could of downloaded anywhere.. not so much.

I like supporting independent developers too, but it has to be something of value. Just because it falls under the category of retro, doesn't mean it's automatically worth tossing money at. If you're into preservation, why not make a donation to the emulator authors themselves instead of tossing money at Hyperkin, who.. well, you know. I'd much rather support those who are helping the fight to keep the old consoles going. Products like the blinking light win, optical drive emulators, video mods, power supply replacements etc...

• Like 1