IGNORED

Yet another device for Atari 8 bit

alsp

How will you name this device? Because "Atari800 disk drives emulator based on C.P.U. project SDrive" is quite long...

Continuum tarnsfunctioner? =) Joke :) For a while its name SDrive-ARM, but may be someone can propose better name?

Continuum tarnsfunctioner? =) Joke :) For a while its name SDrive-ARM, but may be someone can propose better name?

Just funny proposal: :)

Yet another device for Atari 8 == Yadfa8 =)

And in plans to do the ACSI simulation device for Atari-ST - Yadfa16 =)

• Like 1

Name can be ARMdrive!!! I want 2x (or 4x ARMdrive) now!

I think ARMDrive to ambigous in generic point of view - like drive for arm (hand ) ;)

You in the list =)

2Everybody: Please propose your price for this "ready to use" device?

Will there be a color choice :-)

No problem, just because it is 3d printed, but for white color I have so named "Ceramo" filament, it can be polished after printing and looks much better than variant on photo, but it's white only.

Another issue - white is semitransparet for LEDs, for other colors holes needed on top of device.

You're late to the game then, since there are any number of cartridge port and SIO based SD/flash/CF drives that have been around for years to accomplish your "almost console" aspirations.

Sorry I was too enthusiastic for you. Name me another device that does what this does, is as small and discrete as this is, and is NOT cartridge based or internal.

Name me another device that does what this does, is as small and discrete as this is, and is NOT cartridge based or internal.

SIO2SD/PC Combo or SIO2SD Micro were small devices too with more features (at the moment).

post-12528-0-27255100-1487186139_thumb.jpg post-12528-0-91747500-1487186477_thumb.jpg

But this new device has a nice design and a lot of potential.

I am very interested.

• Like 2

I've think about this feature, but decide to skip it to keep device as small as possible...

But to do this we need just another box (with male jack on opposite side with female),make longer ends at female connectors, + add one diode.

Could this cool device just be attached at the END of the daisy chain perhaps?

Hi,

How will you name this device? Because "Atari800 disk drives emulator based on C.P.U. project SDrive" is quite long...

- Y -

Call it Omega. Greek for 800.

Since there was an 8 and an ARM, obviously Octopus (Kraken) or something with a spider came to mind. There is also Hecatoncheires, the Hundred Handed ones but that's hard to say and we're talking about ARM's and not hands...even though those hands were attached to arms. :-)

• Like 2

Very nice!

If I recall correctly, compared to SIO2SD, SDrive has some limitations: short filenames displayed (apart the one selected) and only 4 disk floppy disks attached (Alternate Reality, The Dark Crystal... need more than 4 disks).

Firmware/loader will be improved?

I'd definitely be interested in this device if it would work with Alternate Reality.

A general question though - I've never used an SDrive or SIO2SD before, but I take it from the above comment that SIO2SD supports more than 4 drives and works with AR, but SDrive thus far does not? My question is how does that work? Even if a device "supported" say 8 drives, how would an atari program (ie - Alternate Reality) be able to access them? With a real Atari, there's only a maximum of 4 drives, right? (at least 1050's only have switches supporting drives 1-4) If you're playing AR, you load up the first disk, swap in a character disk to load, then you can load the remaining disk sides into your drives. Even if a device supports 8 drives now, how would AR know to "look" for a drive 5 or drive 6, when such a thing never could have existed back in the day? (I know I may be drifting a bit off topic, but I'm trying to understand the difference between this device and SIO2SD, and also how this all works in relation to a multi disk game like AR. Being able to play AR on my real 800xl without any real drives connected is something I'd love to have.)