IGNORED

TI-99 Dir to CF7A/V9T9 issues

adamantyr

Hi all,

I've been having some issues with cross emulator and running on iron... specifically with disk files.

When I use TI-99 Dir to transfer a DSK image to the CF7A card reader, it mostly works... except for some of my memory image files don't appear readable. Not ALL of them, but I suspect the ones that do work are ancient ones from when I originally ported them from a V9T9 disk image when I was using MESS for my emulation work. I tried converting them to V9T9 format first, but no change.

So then I decided, why not try it in MESS? So I tested the disk image there and NOTHING works. It either returns IO errors trying to load binary files or says "Illegal Tag". Weirdly enough, the CF reader works better in this regard. :/

Anyone have any experience/insight into this? Now I'm worried I can't even play Wizard's Doom on my iron properly, if it's unable to read disk files.

What does MAME say as error message?

You cannot use the CF7 volumes in MAME because they have 1600 sectors, accordingly, no valid disk format. But if you use TIImageTool (sorry to be repetitive, but there's something helpful, maybe) you can copy the files on a valid disk image. You can send me your disk image if I should give it a try.

tidir has been 100% reliable for me to transfer from dsk images and archives to the nano cf .. i back up the cf to a file then open that on tidir and copy in/out of it, then restore it to the cf.. it reads dsk images regardless as to if they were done in mess, v9t9, pc99 whatever. if you are getting issues I'd bet its a corrupted dsk file or its in a format not supported by mess/tidir.. like he says a dumped dsk image with 1600 sectors probably wont work

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper

What does MAME say as error message?

You cannot use the CF7 volumes in MAME because they have 1600 sectors, accordingly, no valid disk format. But if you use TIImageTool (sorry to be repetitive, but there's something helpful, maybe) you can copy the files on a valid disk image. You can send me your disk image if I should give it a try.

I/O Error code 2 when attempting to load and run any binary object file.

Oh, I used an old blank DSK image that was 360k on MESS, and it still failed, same way.

OK, the DIS/FIX80 files are all properly loading and running. As for the PROGRAM files, I don't know how these are loaded; seem to be data files for the D/F80 prgs.

I could not find any file system error on the disk; the prg files are properly shown in MAME / TI BASIC with CALL DIR(1) (use the HFDC controller). There are 4 files with 2048 bytes, and four files with 4096 bytes length.

Well PART of the issue is probably I was trying to catalog a DSDD disk when it was set to the classic TI FDC. :P

To answer your question, yes, all the PROGRAM files are memory images used by the binaries. They cannot be loaded by themselves.

That being said, I'm still puzzled why the CF card doesn't work... can you attempt to load TILES on yours?

• Like 1

You mean MESS 0.130, I suppose? (Anyway, 8 years old)

Yes, the TIFDC cannot read DSDD. I can load TILES via E/A option 3, pressing SPACE seems to load sets of tiles. The screen is divided in three horizontal zones that seem to show the same content.

On the CF Card reader? Because on mine it just hangs forever attempting to load.

Any luck with it? My CF reader may just be busted.

I tried loading a bitmap image for Paint and Print and it just hangs... saving a native drawing fails too. It seems like it's choking on memory image files over a particular size.

I'm disappointed because I didn't really want to buy a NanoPEB until they had AMS on them. And no sign or indicator that is happening... I may just stick with emulation forever now. :/

I copied from the same source to another card and it had the same behavior.

Actually, I think my CF card reader has never worked right with large memory files. For example, Paint N'Print doesn't work to save or load files. It just locks up in the process. All my other memory file work has been 2k or less so I didn't really notice before.

Any luck with it? My CF reader may just be busted.

I tried loading a bitmap image for Paint and Print and it just hangs... saving a native drawing fails too. It seems like it's choking on memory image files over a particular size.

I'm disappointed because I didn't really want to buy a NanoPEB until they had AMS on them. And no sign or indicator that is happening... I may just stick with emulation forever now. :/

gets to a black screen stops on my nano/f18 machine

Greg