Flex board connector pinout help needed

10 replies to this topic

#1 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:04 PM

I am having difficulty find what the PCB pins are for the connector as far as what pin to the firehouse connector is.

does anyone have a detail of what the 44 pins in the picture inside the red box map to firehose connector or even the 99/4a side port ?. 

My continuity testing is not going well, probably because of the PCB inside the firehose cable.

Attached Files

Edited by Shift838, Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 PM.

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 PM

i think I found it or at least the schematic of the flex connector on the firehose to the 99/4A side port.  

HERE

but I still need the what pins are what on the flex PCB connector in the picture in the original post.

Edited by Shift838, Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:50 PM.

#3 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 PM

i think I found it.

HERE

Actually, you'll need to go one more schematic sheet to the right if you want to see the pin numbers of the PEB terminator signal. I worked through alternatives for replacing the fire hose. The same 44 line designations leaving the console's i/o port change after passing through the first connector of the PEB and then change again expanding to 60 at the other end. Granted, there are a lot of pins ganged for unregulated +8, -8, +16, -16, and gnd connections, so focus more on each line's designation/function rather than pin number.  Good luck. 

#4 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:12 PM

Forum was being stupid tonight with Chrome not attaching pictures, so here's a numbered picture of the P2 end (in case your card isn't marked or worn away over the years):

Attached Files

#5 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 PM

Forum was being stupid tonight with Chrome not attaching pictures, so here's a numbered picture of the P2 end (in case your card isn't marked or worn away over the years):

But are these going to be a one to one connection.  So will pin 1 on the P2 connector go to pin 1 on the 99/4a sideport, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc  ?

#6 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:49 PM

But are these going to be a one to one connection.  So will pin 1 on the P2 connector go to pin 1 on the 99/4a sideport, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc  ?

Not a 1:1 straight numerical correlation if I get what you are asking.

Examples: Pin #37 of I/O actually becomes Pin #28 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pin #40 of I/O actually becomes Pin #29 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pins #1,2,13,28,41,43 of the I/O won't be connected at all since they terminate in the speech synthesizer.

And of course 21,23,25, and 27 (gnd) of I/O would only get connected to Pin #3,7,9,25,27,32, OR 37 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Hope I haven't confused you ;-]

Attached Files

• Attached File  flex.JPG   1018.3KB   4 downloads

#7 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 AM

Not a 1:1 straight numerical correlation if I get what you are asking.

Examples: Pin #37 of I/O actually becomes Pin #28 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pin #40 of I/O actually becomes Pin #29 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Pins #1,2,13,28,41,43 of the I/O won't be connected at all since they terminate in the speech synthesizer.

And of course 21,23,25, and 27 (gnd) of I/O would only get connected to Pin #3,7,9,25,27,32, OR 37 of the P2 or termination of the PEB flex.

Hope I haven't confused you ;-]

Then what I am seeing if I have not been utterly confused is a total of 35 pins will need to be connected instead of 44 ?

#8 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 AM

Then what I am seeing if I have not been utterly confused is a total of 35 pins will need to be connected instead of 44 ?

I count 36 (don't forget the loner "ready" line, #12 > #40 at the bottom. Geez, it's too late and these old eyes with small font aren't helping the counting either ;-]

#9 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:10 AM

I count 36 (don't forget the loner "ready" line, #12 > #40 at the bottom. Geez, it's too late and these old eyes with small font aren't helping the counting either ;-]

Thanks for the help.

I did miss counting the ready line!

#10 helocast OFFLINE  

helocast

Space Invader

• 42 posts

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 AM

Thanks for the help.

I did miss counting the ready line!

You're welcome. I forgot that in your short hop of your project you aren't including all the PEB circuitry/transceiver/resistors because of the short distance in your modded case. I agree with your 35 NOW after seeing that RDBENA.A (inverted) is driven from the PEB. Told you it was late!

#11 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,696 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:42 AM

You're welcome. I forgot that in your short hop of your project you aren't including all the PEB circuitry/transceiver/resistors because of the short distance in your modded case. I agree with your 35 NOW after seeing that RDBENA.A (inverted) is driven from the PEB. Told you it was late!

correct I noticed that line too was driven from the PEB.

I believe I got it all down so I can start putting my card together tomorrow.

Attached is what I mapped so it's easy for me to read and refer to.

I have made my own connector for the flex card to mount on the PCB with some standard headers.  I was able to pull every other header out of the plastic housing and it fits perfect.  

I will use some standard dupont header cables to get it working.

Stuart suggested to hook up a couple of wires at a time and power up the system.  If the 99/4A freezes then I have a wire wrong and it will be easier to identify by using a couple at a time.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users