Photo

Roto-zoom animation

3 replies to this topic

#1 Asmusr OFFLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,109 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 AM

Sometimes' Piet Mondrian pictures gave me an idea for an animation that would work in the TI's odd color modes. The animation is a simple roto-zoomer programmed in Java, resulting in 360 256x192 images.

Attached File  screenshot.png   4.82KB   2 downloads

I originally planned to run the animation through a project I have been working on for a while: a 'video encoder' that takes a series of images and calculates how to get from one image to the next with the fewest possible changes. The encoder is also programmed in Java, but the result can be played back on the TI given enough storage space. Unfortunately I could not get the desired result from the encoder because it's based on "half-bitmap" mode, which is more flexible than graphics I mode, but makes double buffering difficult. If you want to see how far I got with this, open "rotozoom-encoder-8.bin". This example uses around 1100 bytes for each of the 360 frames, which fits nicely into a 512K cart. As you can see it has a lot of noise, resulting from the lack of double buffering.

I then switched to Graphics I mode, and instead of using the encoder I imported each image using the map import code from Magellan (which was improved in the process :-). This method resulted in more bytes per frame, so I could only fit half of the frames (180 frames) into a 512K cart, but on the positive side Graphics I mode can easily be double buffered. The result is quite pleasing to look at as you can see from "rotozoom8.bin" and "rotozoom8.rpk".

Note that these carts do not require 32K as the code is running primarily from scratchpad.

Attached Files

#2 sometimes99er OFFLINE  

sometimes99er

River Patroller

• 3,721 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:36 PM

He he. Very nice. :)

#3 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

Stargunner

• 1,967 posts

Posted Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:51 PM