New Atari Comic Book - Swordquest!

68 replies to this topic

#26 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,981 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Fri May 5, 2017 8:43 PM

It's ok.  I'm definitely only reading it because I'm an Atari nerd though.  I don't think there is much here for the casual comics fan.  This is aiming for a very specific audience. This issue is very light on story and is more of set-up than an actual story.  I'm hoping for more meat in the next installment.  Art is sketchy, but not off-putting.  For the most part it seems they have done their homework, but I don't recall an octopus room in SQ:Fireworld, so maybe I need to do some research of my own.  (unless they were meant to be playing Waterworld, it wasn't clear).

We'll see...

#27 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,928 posts
  • moycon?? What the hell is that??

Posted Sat May 6, 2017 11:08 PM

I found a copy of issue 0 in Blue Ridge, haven't read through it yet. I did ask my local dealer to get the series in, and had already pre-ordered the issue 1 Atari 2600 variant, so I'll give the comic a chance for sure. Although admittedly, not unlike StanJr, it's mainly because I'm an Atari nerd.

#28 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Sun May 7, 2017 9:04 PM

They are going to start a Centipede comic in a few months too.

#29 KaeruYojimbo ONLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,329 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 8:16 AM

I'm a bit worried they're going to use the Atari nostalgia as a crutch to prop up an otherwise uninspired story, but there's potential for a good caper story. The art sort of reminds me of David Aja's Hawkeye, which I liked, but not quite as good.

#30 Torr OFFLINE  

Torr

Stargunner

• 1,008 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 9:16 AM

I think in order to make the SwordQuest "story" a truly interesting read, it will need to be changed and/or expanded upon so much it would merely be "inspired by" not a "re-telling".

I think it's because, (key word think... in my opinion of them), if the originals didn't have the DC artwork, or more importantly been part of the games/contest and just sold as a stand alone comic series, they would never have made it past issue 2 I'm willing to bet.

Reading the comic is like a reading a glorified walkthru (rather it would if the game actually followed any sense of logic and not just random item placement, and they obviously couldn't just give away the game's solution with the game, but you see what I'm getting at right?)

There is no real depth to the story or characters.

To re-iterate, unless this is merely "inspired by", and not actually just a re-telling of the same story with modern art and lingo and a few twists here and there so it's not the EXACT same "story", then I can't help but think it's gonna suck.

And once you change it enough, you might as well have a new everything.. while still keeping inspiration...

I could compare it to how Arthur C. Clark's "The Sentinal" became Stanley Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey"; or maybe how Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" became Coppola's "Apocalypse Now".

By clinging to a franchise I can't help but feel it's like when retro-game makers feel the need to fill their 2-D platformer with pirated SMB spritework. If you truly believe in your game and it's quality, any attractive likable character/sprite will fill the job; you only cling to a well known pop-culture image if you need it to sell the product. IE All the licensed/movie trash from Acclaim of the 8-16 bit era.

But in this case... I guess I certainly can't claim they're clinging to something popular, but clinging to a niche non-the-less...

#31 KaeruYojimbo ONLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,329 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 11:21 AM

I think they have painted themselves into a corner somewhat. Many Atari nerds are going to be disappointed that it isn't a Torr and Tarra story, while someone who might enjoy the story for what it is will dismiss it as a "dumb video game" comic and pass on it.

#32 PhilipTheWhovian OFFLINE  

PhilipTheWhovian

Star Raider

• 77 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 11:59 AM

I bought it two days ago, I liked it but I have no idea where it could go and still make it interesting.

#33 Philflound OFFLINE  

Philflound

River Patroller

• 3,931 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 7:15 PM

Just got my set of 4 covers today. I already have #1 preordered and working on getting Centipede preordered. I have to limit my spending though, so the most expensive covers I probably won't acquire. 

Have you seen this?

https://www.dynamite...MPZ=atari oster

#34 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,928 posts

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 7:48 PM

Just got my set of 4 covers today. I already have #1 preordered and working on getting Centipede preordered. I have to limit my spending though, so the most expensive covers I probably won't acquire. 

Have you seen this?

https://www.dynamite...MPZ=atari oster

I saw this ad in the issue #0 and I ment to ask, is this the poster book that was mentioned being in the works shortly after the Art of Atari book was released?

#35 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,981 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Mon May 8, 2017 7:51 PM

The original comics would have gotten through all 4 issues because back then Marvel would have commissioned the entire 4 issue mini-series and had it pretty much complete and ready to ship before they released issue #1.  You rarely see a 4 issue mini that didn't complete, especially before 1995.  Nowadays, if the first three pages don't sell a billion copies they cancel the other 19.  The modern entertainment market is too fickle.

My main concern is that this is a story about a guy who is down on his luck and decides to turn to crime, so I'm not sure who I am cheering for.  Maybe just a good heist story?  Just have to wait and see how it goes.

#36 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 AM

It definitely wasn't what I was expecting. Can't decide if that's good or bad. Centipede...i don't know what to expect.

#37 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 PM

Picked up a copy today, will read this weekend.  I was originally going to get the alternate covers but had no idea the sellers couldn't order them separately and the pricing would be ridiculous.  Oh well, I haven't really bought a comic book without action figures attached since the 80's.  Not a business practice I'm interested in supporting.

• jhd likes this

#38 Rom Hunter ONLINE  

Rom Hunter

VCS Games Archivist

• 8,654 posts
  • Obtainer of Rare Antiquities

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 12:38 AM

The original comics would have gotten through all 4 issues because back then Marvel would have commissioned the entire 4 issue mini-series and had it pretty much complete and ready to ship before they released issue #1.  You rarely see a 4 issue mini that didn't complete, especially before 1995. 

Exactly what I was thinking, but unfortunately in this case the fourth issue was not already made.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter, Sun May 14, 2017 12:38 AM.

#39 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,981 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 PM

True, but I bet creating a custom comic to go with a video game is a different animal than publishing a monthly 4 issue mini.  Who's to say?  One thing is for sure, if issue #1 and 2 of this new series doesn't sell in the high numbers, it is highly unlikely that you'll see an issue #3.

#40 Dutchman2000 OFFLINE  

Dutchman2000

Dragonstomper

• 569 posts
  • Sifting through items in a Chicago basement......

Posted Mon May 15, 2017 8:13 AM

I've heard they are also remastering and reprinting the original mini-comics.  No word on availability though.

#41 Waggie OFFLINE  

Waggie

Dragonstomper

• 645 posts

Posted Tue May 16, 2017 12:03 PM

Finished issue #0 last weekend.  Was a little disappointed as I was hoping for a more fantasy direction.  I'll keep going for now, wonder what sales need to be not to be canceled?

#42 MrBeefy OFFLINE  

MrBeefy

Dragonstomper

• 551 posts

Posted Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 PM

I've heard they are also remastering and reprinting the original mini-comics.  No word on availability though.

I help out at a comic shop. I will try and remember to check on that tomorrow. It was advertised in the Previews magazine. But didn't give a price or time frame.

#43 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,480 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Tue May 16, 2017 11:15 PM

I just saw this thread today, so I called the local comic shop and they had 15 of the #0 issue in stock. I picked one up and asked about the alternate covers. Apparently, they have to order 25 to get one of the alternate covers, and an additional 25 for each alternate (one B variant in 25, one C variant in 50, etc.)... and the order had to be placed months ago. Since the shop isn't selling many of them, they won't be ordering 25 or more. I would need to have pre-ordered 75 of them to get all the cover variants. Sounds like it's the same deal for regular issues too. That's definitely not something I'm inclined to do, but I will be picking up one of each issue. I wish I could have at least gotten a B variant, since that's my favorite for this issue. I think it's ridiculous how Dynamite does their requirements for shops to receive cover variants. Seems certain covers will end up being extremely rare (like variant C and especially D).

I went ahead and pre-ordered a copy of Centipede while I was there.

#44 StanJr OFFLINE  

StanJr

Web-slinger

• 14,981 posts
  • fun or bust

Posted Wed May 17, 2017 8:16 PM

They have to do that so shops don't order only variants and scant few of the base comic.  Shops mark up those variants something crazy, so it would be super crappy even if Diamond didn't do that.   But I agree, I missed out on the cosplay Scarlet Witch #10 for the same reason...

#45 KevinMos3 OFFLINE  

KevinMos3

Stargunner

• 1,480 posts
  • Founder of the Timothy Dalton as Bond fan club

Posted Thu May 18, 2017 1:34 PM

I'm not really a comic collector, although there have been a small handful of series I've collected for (Transformers, Danger Girl, and a few others, with a sizable stack of odds & ends).  The last time I was really buying these was 2013 with one of the Transformers series.  The shop I went to would have equal numbers of the variants, so I assumed IDW shipped those that way, but I could be wrong.  I don't remember for sure, but I think I would pick up one of each variant every month (most of my things are currently in storage so I can't check).  I would think that if they weren't sent out the way Dynamite does it, shops would not have a reason to mark up alternate covers.  If I owned a shop and had to buy 100 of a comic just to get 1 of a fourth alternate, you better believe I'd charge more for that alternate. :-o   I guess that method gives serious collectors something to go after, but I'm not interested in playing that game.  Oh well, I'll just enjoy my cover A of each issue.

#46 whisperingloon OFFLINE  

whisperingloon

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Mon May 29, 2017 7:14 PM

I'm very, very curious where this comic is going to go. I haven't seen the movie Fanboys, but it reminds me a little bit of what I understand the premise to be. The fact that it's a "heist" story is interesting -- a real world quest that could potentially have some interesting visual fantasy flair is a clever approach.

Although I wouldn't have minded a direct sequel to the original SwordQuest comics, too.

#47 moycon OFFLINE  

moycon

Quadrunner

• 21,928 posts

Posted Mon May 29, 2017 9:31 PM

I'm very, very curious where this comic is going to go. I haven't seen the movie Fanboys, but it reminds me a little bit of what I understand the premise to be. The fact that it's a "heist" story is interesting -- a real world quest that could potentially have some interesting visual fantasy flair is a clever approach.

Although I wouldn't have minded a direct sequel to the original SwordQuest comics, too.

I need to go back to my local comic book shop and get my copies. 

#48 Atari-Collector OFFLINE  

Atari-Collector

Moonsweeper

• 266 posts

Posted Mon May 29, 2017 10:20 PM

I'm kind of curious about getting a copy of this comic.  But on their website it doesn't say anything about shipping cost to Canada.  And lately I've been seeing places want stupid high shipping on small stuff and I don't want to go though signing up to their site to find they want a lot to mail a simple comic, or perhaps not even ship to Canada.   So doesn't anybody know if and how much it would be?

thanks

• jhd likes this

#49 whisperingloon OFFLINE  

whisperingloon

Space Invader

• 20 posts

Posted Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 PM

I'm kind of curious about getting a copy of this comic.  But on their website it doesn't say anything about shipping cost to Canada.  And lately I've been seeing places want stupid high shipping on small stuff and I don't want to go though signing up to their site to find they want a lot to mail a simple comic, or perhaps not even ship to Canada.   So doesn't anybody know if and how much it would be?

thanks

Oh, man. I don't know. One of my gotos for being comics online has $7 shipping for order under $120. This one is just 25 cents...which is quite a bit under $120! :) (They don't even have it listed -- it's Mile High Comics.)

My Comics Shop has it, but i don't see a listing for shipping prices. Just that they HAVE international shipping.

Those are the two biggest and best online comic "shops" -- I order from them when I need back issues for my podcast or my collection.

• jhd likes this

#50 Tarzilla OFFLINE  

Tarzilla

Stargunner

• 1,836 posts

Posted Tue May 30, 2017 8:32 PM

thanks

Are there no comic shops near you in Ontario?
If not, a quick google search of
Ontario comic shop mail order
turns up numerous stores.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users