IGNORED

Make offer - really?

Atari_Bill

If you set up a Make Offer on an eBay auction why ignore any offer made? Three consecutive auctions I have made an offer on recently have let the offer expire. Seriously?? Why have it if you don't want to entertain offers and if you don't

Ike the offer, at least have the decency to decline. I've passed on several other auctions while waiting for a response on these. Just so annoyed.

• Like 3

I've told by multiple sellers that they "don't waste time with low ball offers" - And mean offering them $50 for something that listed for $65 or $70 and probably worth $40.

Most of them just don't know how it works!

Have explained to a couple " almost every time you respond with a counter offer - someone will take it - most just want to feel like they got a deal".

Have also made offers - had them refused and they it relisted for less then my offer!

Generally, if they don't response after a msg or two, I'll just spend $10 or $20 with another seller. Because they are not really interested in making a sale.

Maybe the idiots were hoping someone would offer them more than they're asking?

+1

I have a related complaint - I often have people message me to make an offer when I am not taking them. These are always poorly spelled, have no punctuation, and for well under what the item will sell for. When I politely decline, they then get all pissed off and then added to my blocked list.

My experience with the "make an offer" thing is it is by default checked when you use the "buy it now" mode of selling... It's happened to me where I get an offer and I'm like, wait.. I didn't have make an offer selected? Did I? And sure enough it's checked... so a lot of people may not even know about it...

The offer shows as pending and this can spur someone else who is interested into making a decent offer. Most sellers ignore the offers they feel are low. What is one of the ones you offered on and how much did you offer?

One of them was for a few magazines I needed. BIN was around 15 and I offered 12. No response till afterwards. When I asked the seller said he bought these to resell and expected more. Pathetic.

The latest was for a couple common intellivision games that I was buying for manuals. He had 7.50 on them plus shipping. I offered 6.50 plus shipping. No response.

My experience with the "make an offer" thing is it is by default checked when you use the "buy it now" mode of selling... It's happened to me where I get an offer and I'm like, wait.. I didn't have make an offer selected? Did I? And sure enough it's checked... so a lot of people may not even know about it...

I feel like that's possibly true because I've have had countless number of nasty replies that state that their price is firm, and I've am left wondering why they had make offer in the first place.

I hate it when people dont even decline, here's a tip for those who dont want a lowball waste of time

There's a section when one sets up the make an offer to auto reject bids below a set amount

My experience with the "make an offer" thing is it is by default checked when you use the "buy it now" mode of selling

I get that we are all excited to sell something and whatnot, but damn its not that big of a form, read though it

Edited by Osgeld

Some people just like to troll with make offer to sucker people into looking and hoping they get paranoid or annoyed enough the right way to just pay up anyway almost to the dollar and I wouldn't be surprised if it worked.

I put a question in on a tabletop game I was looking at and the price was a specific amount OBO as usual, I asked a few questions as the one image sucked and got what I wanted out of that and in the last one said I didn't want to play lowball games, what would they be willing to take. And the answer I got was that he already had offers just 18% off the asking price and he wasn't willing to take that. My guess would be he'd need it down to like $5 off at best or something around that proportionately speaking which is just stupid so I stopped bothering.

It gets me when people put that stuff up and just get greedy or abuse it with intent, worse is when they knowingly put something up for a high price well over what comparable or even better shape/complete units of some item go for, slap a OBO on it, then get crappy about taking offers. Sometimes you get snark back, often you even ask for like a 10-15% off and it's a no return counter straight up decline and it's just infuriating as they're time wasters.

Being checked by default is ebay's way of coaxing and guiding the seller into a lower price in case it is overpriced to begin with. Best sales have gone up because of it. And that's all that matters.

If I see something listed at 99.95, it's great fun to make an offer for 9.95. Maybe the seller is an idiot and will mistake the decimal point position!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

My pet peeve as a seller is people who message you to make an offer when you DON'T even have it as an option. I still usually reply to them though, thanking them for their interest, etc.

I try to research my pricing carefully, list it for what I think it should be, and if it doesn't sell right away, I revisit it. Sometime I keep it as is and it will eventually sell months later. I have a "store" with more listings than I can ever use, so it's no skin of my nose to relist it and most of the items I sell are small, so space isn't much of an issue either.

On the topic, why he would have "make an offer" on a $7.50 listing makes almost as much sense as asking for a dollar off! It's a BUCK, just buy it for crying out loud.

The best auctions are the ones that start high, don't sell, and get relisted with a lower price next time around.

I was watching this uber-rare card, ok, and it started near $1800. After a couple relists it started dropping to $1000, and continued way way down. Man did I make out like bandit!

On the topic, why he would have "make an offer" on a $7.50 listing makes almost as much sense as asking for a dollar off! It's a BUCK, just buy it for crying out loud.

Ummm if you have zero intentions of taking an offer other than your BIN price, don't put best offer there. If a game is only worth $6 it is only worth $6 not $7.

I already conceded that the seller using "make an offer" was silly (and possibly unintentional) but that doesn't change my opinion that it was just as silly to offer a dollar less. As far as what something is "worth" that's too subjective to even go into. I've listed things in the past that I knew I could get more if I waited, but I wanted to sell it quickly, and I'd still get low ball offers. So everyone has their own opinion on what something is "worth".

I already conceded that the seller using "make an offer" was silly (and possibly unintentional) but that doesn't change my opinion that it was just as silly to offer a dollar less. As far as what something is "worth" that's too subjective to even go into. I've listed things in the past that I knew I could get more if I waited, but I wanted to sell it quickly, and I'd still get low ball offers. So everyone has their own opinion on what something is "worth".

Sometimes the buyer just wants the feeling of getting "the win". Even if it's only a dollar. I'm fine if he didn't want to do it just tell me no for Gods sake. That's what annoys me. Apparently it's not worth what he wants because it still hasn't sold after a week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...