Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 6:51 PM

And the zimodem firmware for that would be this one:

Attached File  zimodem.ino.nodemcu-3.4.bin   336.48KB   9 downloads

#477 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 8:15 PM

After flashing,  did you run your terminal program at 1200 baud and wait 6 seconds for it to display anything?

This flasher might be better suited for your board  ?

attachicon.gifnodemcu-flasher-master.zip

Can't check anything if the flash fails taking the chip with it.  Now it won't even erase or reprogram.   Just gives me constantly flashing red and blue lights when in the UART mode. 

#478 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 8:41 PM

Just gives me constantly flashing red and blue lights when in the UART mode. 

That's what my ESP-01 did after a bad flash.  It is possible to recover from that.

The nodemcu flasher will put the board in flash mode automatically if it has the circuitry builtin.

#479 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,112 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:21 PM

I have experienced flashing in delay on some of these device and arduinos as well, the software may say it's done but I wait for a good long while afterwards to allow it to do all it's flashing and verification on the device itself.. for some reason certain china made things have a large delay between when something it truly done as opposed to what it says. It must buffer it all and say success when it hasn't actually completed the flash procedure.. pulling power during that period normally kills it.

Edited by _The Doctor__, Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:43 PM.

#480 Kyle22 OFFLINE  

Kyle22

River Patroller

• 3,583 posts
  • Call my BBS! telnet://broadway1.lorexddns.net

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 9:33 PM

Do these modules exist that have RTS / CTS lines, 5V compatible, etc?

#481 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 10:06 PM

ESP-Modules.jpg

The one on the bottom is the latest I bought and it does have RTS / CTS lines and is powered by 5 volts, but needs a 3.3 volt level shifter on the data lines.

Lenores' is on the top and might have them too, but looks like some soldering is required...

#482 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 12:15 AM

I use a ESP8266 with adapter, 3$ setup. :-)

Not flashed, original firmware.

I use CONTROL-M CONTROL-J to send CR/LF after any AT-command.

But PLATO still needs to enhance the inverse video, can't read what to press from this screen.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08109.JPG
  • DSC08108.JPG

#483 manterola ONLINE  

manterola

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 8:38 AM

Can't check anything if the flash fails taking the chip with it.  Now it won't even erase or reprogram.   Just gives me constantly flashing red and blue lights when in the UART mode. 

I had that problem when I received my esp-01. Then I discovered those flashings is a really error messages sent at a weird baud rate:74800 baud. something like:

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:1, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x40100000, len 1396, room 16
tail 4 chksum 0x89 load 0x3ffe8000, len 776, room 4

tail 4 chksum 0xe8 load 0x3ffe8308, len 540, room 4

If you set the switches in your programming board to programming mode you can see in the terminal (windows terminal program set at 74880 baud) you will see that the module will say that the module esp-01 is in programming mode.
So, in conclusion, I don't believe the esp-01 is a lost case. Try setting the terminal at 74880, see what the module is telling you. Then try re-writing the module with the originalp firmware, then again with the zimodem, or several times with the zimodem, until you make it back to life. 

I can always try to help if you send me the module. I can try to reproduce what I did with mine by checking the linux machine command line history.

Edited by manterola, Wed Oct 3, 2018 8:41 AM.

#484 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 2,766 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:00 AM

Yup, I know, that's the character set loading needing to be debugged. Algorithm B for sparse pixels isn't working correctly. I have tried debugging it over the last few weeks, but the problem is eluding me.

(which is odd because it works in the Atari cartridge, something I am issing...)

-Thom

I use a ESP8266 with adapter, 3$ setup. :-)

Not flashed, original firmware.

I use CONTROL-M CONTROL-J to send CR/LF after any AT-command.

But PLATO still needs to enhance the inverse video, can't read what to press from this screen.

#485 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 9:51 AM

And the zimodem firmware for that would be this one:
attachicon.gifzimodem.ino.nodemcu-3.4.bin

still no success to speak of.  I'm beginning to think that the programming button was never meant to be used to flash firmware only to program the user portion of the flash.  Using the nodemcu flasher and the software bin file this is what the log states.

Note:Detect serial port changed.
Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port-->COM3

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.
Note:ESP8266 ACK success.
Error:Read ESP8266 register timeout.

#486 _The Doctor__ ONLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,112 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:04 AM

hhmmmm can you slow down your usb port. I vaguely remember some my programming issues being too fast or too slow over the years for a specific device... next choice might be to tack on some whisker wires to the chip and connect to them for direct programming of that chip..

Edited by _The Doctor__, Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:16 AM.

#487 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 12:34 PM

still no success to speak of.  I'm beginning to think that the programming button was never meant to be used to flash firmware only to program the user portion of the flash.  Using the nodemcu flasher and the software bin file this is what the log states.

Note:Detect serial port changed.
Note:Auto MAP serial port.Port-->COM3

Note:Serial port connected.
Note:Begin find ESP8266.
Note:ESP8266 ACK success.
Error:Read ESP8266 register timeout.

Okay,  to put it in manual Bootstrap mode / flash, try this.

1.  Press and hold the Reset button.

2.  Slide switch to Program  mode.

3.  Release Reset Button.

This is what I have to do with my programmer board and to put the nodemcu board in manual bootstrap / flash mode.

(my step 2 is to press and hold  the program button and step 4 would be to release the program button).

Then run flasher again...

#488 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:32 PM

So after switching to the other board that came in screwed I set the baud rate to that wierd

Okay,  to put it in manual Bootstrap mode / flash, try this.

1.  Press and hold the Reset button.

2.  Slide switch to Program  mode.

3.  Release Reset Button.

This is what I have to do with my programmer board and to put the nodemcu board in manual bootstrap / flash mode.

(my step 2 is to press and hold  the program button and step 4 would be to release the program button).

Then run flasher again...

While there is no indication that this a nodemcu board, I did try as you suggested.  No luck. :(

#489 Dropcheck OFFLINE  

Dropcheck

Stargunner

• 1,294 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 10:47 PM

I had that problem when I received my esp-01. Then I discovered those flashings is a really error messages sent at a weird baud rate:74800 baud. something like:
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:1, boot mode:(3,6)
load 0x40100000, len 1396, room 16
tail 4 chksum 0x89 load 0x3ffe8000, len 776, room 4
tail 4 chksum 0xe8 load 0x3ffe8308, len 540, room 4[/size]

If you set the switches in your programming board to programming mode you can see in the terminal (windows terminal program set at 74880 baud) you will see that the module will say that the module esp-01 is in programming mode.
So, in conclusion, I don't believe the esp-01 is a lost case. Try setting the terminal at 74880, see what the module is telling you. Then try re-writing the module with the originalp firmware, then again with the zimodem, or several times with the zimodem, until you make it back to life. 
I can always try to help if you send me the module. I can try to reproduce what I did with mine by checking the linux machine command line history.

I did take a look at both boards at that baud rate and both have similar messages.  I've tried flashing both now multiple times with different flashing software, at that baud rate, 9600 and the standard 115200 and so far no luck. 

If you don't mind I think I will take you up on your offer.  Worse case is you will show me up. ;)

It would be instructional to all if you could document the fix if there is one.  The board is definitely intriguing with that external ant option.

#490 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Wed Oct 3, 2018 11:52 PM

Yup, I know, that's the character set loading needing to be debugged. Algorithm B for sparse pixels isn't working correctly. I have tried debugging it over the last few weeks, but the problem is eluding me.

(which is odd because it works in the Atari cartridge, something I am issing...)

-Thom

My Funds so far (20180915 build on github):

*PLATO does not let me send out CONTROL-M and CONTROL-J, so I have to setup connection first before I can load PLATO.

Then manually select terminal-type " e" to get online.

*And I noticed that PLATO sends out 2x CR + LF.

*Xon/Xoff does not work properly, after sending a battery of Xoff's, the server does not stop.

*When I block Xon being send out, the server keeps sending data.

*When I throttle the outgoing rate to 1 character/tv-frame, connection with 2400 baud installed buffer of 256byte is OK.

Currently testing with 9600baud, but I prefer the 600-1200 baud where 16 bytes of buffer is just fine.

That saves me 256 bytes of RAM ;-)

I will try the cartridge version later this week and see how that does.

#491 AtariGeezer OFFLINE  

AtariGeezer

River Patroller

• 2,825 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 12:28 AM

So after switching to the other board that came in screwed I set the baud rate to that wierd

While there is no indication that this a nodemcu board, I did try as you suggested.  No luck. :(

Since the nodeMCU board and your ESP-07 board have the same 12E chip, figured it should.

Your USB Programmer just needs a reset switch added to program the ESP-01's...

#492 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 7:42 AM

Made a pass-through today, so I can connect more then only my SIO2WiFi to my 800XL :-)

Still having issues downloading files, checksum-errors (using bobterm Xmodem)

So I guess my driver is not yet ready :-(

On Altirra it works so, this is a hardware issue.

Time to do some investigation!

Anyhow, had some fun playing the lemonade game.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC08113.JPG
  • DSC08112.JPG

#493 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 2,766 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 8:01 AM

Also, you shouldn't have to send out CR and LF, PLATOTerm should be sending those automatically now, as of the 20180919 build that I posted here:

http://atariage.com/...sues/?p=4116796

-Thom

#494 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:00 AM

Also, you shouldn't have to send out CR and LF, PLATOTerm should be sending those automatically now, as of the 20180919 build that I posted here:

http://atariage.com/...sues/?p=4116796

-Thom

Tested that already and reported to you.

No good either

So I took the "official" latest release on github.

For the ESP8266 to become transparent, I need to send one more command to the module.

That is after the module has established connection and data from the server is coming in.

That is a no-go area for me, since plato does not send out CR/LF anymore, nor does control-M/J works.

Also: plato sends out 2 CR's and 1 LF, not CR/LF, giving errors back from the module.

When you add CR and LF back to the keyboard-def-table, it would work for me.
Any control-key-combo that is not in use by plato would be okay.

Don't forget my other feedback and bug-reports, thanks.

Edited by mr-atari, Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:01 AM.

#495 tschak909 ONLINE  

tschak909

River Patroller

• 2,766 posts

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2018 12:33 AM

@mr-atari please add them to issues, so I don't forget.

https://github.com/t...toterm64/issues

This is especially important, because I am working on half a dozen ports simultaneously, at the moment. :)

-Thom

#496 a8isa1 OFFLINE  

a8isa1

Stargunner

• 1,513 posts

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2018 1:17 PM

I have a question but it's not related to the topic, 'SIO WiFi modem for ESP8266'.

For fun I would like to connect one of my spare ESP8266 dev boards (NodeMCU clone board) to a joystick port ala MPP 1000E modem. 

Does anyone have the pinout for this joystick port connected modem?   

I thought it was pins Joy2-1 and Joy2-4 for TX and RX (or vice versa) because this worked as a loopback but no luck with the dev board.

-SteveS

#497 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 2:40 AM

Just  a remark, it will not be easy to bit-bang the pia to generate or read serial data.

I had to wire my ESP8266 to joystick-port-1 to get it from a weird 135kbaud uart setting back to life.

Needed to disable NMI/IRQ, kill antic and start sending/shifting on the exact same scan-line.

I used ROL to shift bytes out, were TX was bit-0.

Otherwise, the outgoing bits were not evenly spaced.

But I guess on much lower baud-rates, this is less critical.

Bytes need to be send out most significant bit first, start-bit is zero.

success with this little project :-)

Edited by mr-atari, Sun Oct 7, 2018 2:43 AM.

#498 a8isa1 OFFLINE  

a8isa1

Stargunner

• 1,513 posts

Posted Sun Oct 7, 2018 12:19 PM

Just  a remark, it will not be easy to bit-bang the pia to generate or read serial data.

I had to wire my ESP8266 to joystick-port-1 to get it from a weird 135kbaud uart setting back to life.
Needed to disable NMI/IRQ, kill antic and start sending/shifting on the exact same scan-line.
I used ROL to shift bytes out, were TX was bit-0.
Otherwise, the outgoing bits were not evenly spaced.
But I guess on much lower baud-rates, this is less critical.
Bytes need to be send out most significant bit first, start-bit is zero.

success with this little project :-)

this is why I am looking for the MPP 1000e pinouts. The serial driver has already been written. Very low speed but I don't care about that.

#499 mr-atari OFFLINE  

mr-atari

Moonsweeper

• 499 posts

Posted Today, 2:46 AM

Is the BBS: "BROADWAY1.LOREXDDNS.NET",23 down?

I try to connect since Saturday, but no success.....

#500 Lastic OFFLINE  

Lastic

Star Raider

• 57 posts

Posted Today, 5:35 AM

Is the BBS: "BROADWAY1.LOREXDDNS.NET",23 down?

I try to connect since Saturday, but no success.....

See this post 

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users