IGNORED

Pokey Multicart?

Inky

I was thinking - dangerous in and of itself - that with the second version of the Anniversary cart coming out, would a multicart with Commando and Ballblazer, or perhaps any number of homebrews that require it, be possible with only one pokey chip on the cart?

BBCQ & DKPK won't work in a simple multicart scheme, that does not require new hardware. Only 32K to 128K would work and the largest BIN rules the slots on the EPROM. So if there is one 128K game, each slot has to be 128K, since the VersaBoard only goes up to 512K (hence 4 BIN's), without modification. If it is just 32K and 48K BIN's, 8 could be put on one cart, at least one of the BIN's must be 32K though.

Would also be kind of fun to really stress test the VersaBoard with 4 x 128K + RAM (E.G. Sirius, Plutos, Summer Games and Winter Games). I am still sitting on narrow RAM chips.

• Like 4

BBCQ & DKPK won't work in a simple multicart scheme, that does not require new hardware. Only 32K to 128K would work and the largest BIN rules the slots on the EPROM. So if there is one 128K game, each slot has to be 128K, since the VersaBoard only goes up to 512K (hence 4 BIN's), without modification. If it is just 32K and 48K BIN's, 8 could be put on one cart, at least one of the BIN's must be 32K though.

Would also be kind of fun to really stress test the VersaBoard with 4 x 128K + RAM (E.G. Sirius, Plutos, Summer Games and Winter Games). I am still sitting on narrow RAM chips.

See there is crap I make up then reality.

Is it possible for the 7800 to have larger than 1mb rom cart and how much ram is possible?

Feeling any better btw?

See there is crap I make up then reality.

Is it possible for the 7800 to have larger than 1mb rom cart and how much ram is possible?

Feeling any better btw?

Yes, technically it is, but would require a new board, with less features. Plus, you'd be stepping into 16bit EPROM land and they are about the size of a POKEY.

However, I can make carts with the VersaBoard, that can be 512K of NVRAM, which means you can read/write everywhere (allows for self modifying code for instance, or you could save scores and game state to your own liking, directly on the cart). That is how the MCP devcart works (it allows for BBCQ and DKPK to be run too, they just aren't suitable for multi selection with the current hardware). This would require some trace cutting and a couple jumper wires.