IGNORED

bbc micro game help

The big handicaps of the BBC are lack of Ram and sprites. The CPU is 2 MHz and there are virtually no DMA impediments which means it can render softsprites though. But they come with a big memory cost.

It also has a fast disk drive so would lend well to disk based dynamic loading games which can help overcome lack of Ram.

I think some of the RAM handicap can be overcome by installing Sideways RAM, for which there are a couple of very simple and inexpensive options these days. Possibly it was more expensive and difficult 30+ years ago, but since said games don't yet exist, anyone developing new software today might up the hardware requirements a bit without losing most of the die-hard community.

• 1 year later...

this is kind of a stupid question but, Would the BBC micro be able to run Maniac mansion or monkey island?

I think it really ought to be capable of most of the stuff an Amstrad CPC is capable of (although I acknowledge that referring to another British machine might not help, but you can google, look on youtube, etc.). the downside to the BBC is the TTL colour output, so colours either have Red,green or blue, or they don't.

Back in the day Firetrack (

) was considered one of the best games, and a good showcase of what the machine can do, but there is a hardcore of people developing new stuff.

• Like 2

I think it really ought to be capable of most of the stuff an Amstrad CPC is capable of (although I acknowledge that referring to another British machine might not help, but you can google, look on youtube, etc.). the downside to the BBC is the TTL colour output, so colours either have Red,green or blue, or they don't.

Back in the day Firetrack was considered one of the best games, and a good showcase of what the machine can do, but there is a hardcore of people developing new stuff.

Nice example. You do, however, realize you're responding to someone who's long been banned from the forums?

enjoyable game fire track, makes me wonder if it were ported and given a little finesse and polish.... making it the best it can be, without changing the fun game play factor. Sometimes improvements can go to far, so it could use some but not so much it takes on a different flavor

That's what you get when you read the day and month from a post, but not the year. D'oh.

No problem; I hadn't seen that game before; it looks -- and sounds -- cool.

Just letting you know that you won't be getting a reply from him -- although, maybe his reincarnated self is already floating around here.